RE: Storage Wars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walt Sherrill

RE: Storage Wars

I was watching Storage Wars on TV, and the guys bought a storage unit that included a BUNCH of new in box (literally) weapons, from Colt Pythons to top-end Beretta shotguns. There were also some older, collectibles.

The video always shows them selling the guns to gun shops, etc.

I'm curious -- what laws control the acquisition of these weapons (from abandoned storage units or homes bought at auction). I would assume that state laws control the transfer of ownership, but how is it legally done?

(These same guys bought a unit last year with a safe. They used a very hot torch to burn open the safe, and in the process damaged what would have been a pristine H&K P7. I'm pretty sure that some other items, like cash, might have been damaged, had they been in there...)

Winchester_73

Its hard to believe that they would sell to gun shops (although they do), the equivalent of getting a car and selling to a dealership. I would think "business men" would be wiser than to do that. In some ways, its convienent but sell a NIB Python (for example) for around $1500 (a lil under the market) is so easy nearly anyone can do it

Don H

Walt Sherrill said:
I'm curious -- what laws control the acquisition of these weapons (from abandoned storage units or homes bought at auction). I would assume that state laws control the transfer of ownership, but how is it legally done?
As you note, Walt, transfer procedures are controlled by state laws and they vary widely state to state. In my state, Utah, there is no state process involved in the transfer of ownership. If someone bought a storage unit and it had 100 guns in it, he would own those guns immediately, without any state government involvement, and could sell them as he chose (with the usual limits of prohibited persons, etc.).

Speaking of prohibited persons, I'd think that if the successful bidder on the storage unit that has 100 guns in it were himself a prohibited person, there would be some legal issues, both federal and state, in his possession of those firearms. I don't know what would be involved in disposing of the firearms in that case, especially if he wanted to sell the arms to help recoup his investment. I'd think the acquisition of legal representation would be a prudent thing to do.

Dashunde

My guess is that if a prohibited person ends up owning a firearm unintentionally the transfer process would be similar to that of a convicted felon giving up his/her collection.

Regardless...
The first thing I'd do is call around to be sure none of those weapons are stolen.
I wouldnt even leave with them until each one was checked.

Stressfire

I thought about getting into the Storage Unit Auction business a couple times....then decided against as in my area one would be less likely to find high-end cars and firearms and much more likely to purchase a storage unit full of meth-making equipment:rolleyes:

Riceman

I thought about getting into the Storage Unit Auction business a couple times....then decided against as in my area one would be less likely to find high-end cars and firearms and much more likely to purchase a storage unit full of meth-making equipment:rolleyes:

Hey there is a lot more money in that than firearms.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.