? re: Lee Pro Autodisk and Lee Safety Prime

CortJestir

So I've got my Lee Classic Turret set up with the Safety Prime and Pro Autodisk powder dispenser. I cranked out about 250 rounds of .45ACP today. Nice and quick.

Only issue: I've got the Pro Autodisk on one Autodisk riser, but it's not clearing the Safety Prime entirely on every go around. No matter how I adjust it or turn it, the Pro Autodisk always manages to bump into the Safety prime. I've got it to the point where it just shoves the Safety Prime out of the way a little and moves along.

Am I missing something here? Do I need two Autodisk risers for it to clear? I'm using the Lee powder-through expander die, if that makes any difference.

RamSlammer

I had the same issue bugging me for a while. Wasn't a big deal, more of a brush by that didn't hurt the safety prime. Went ahead and added another riser and have been happy with the result.

benzuncle

Cort, the riser allows you to swivel the Pro Auto Disk. It should be swiveled over the other dies, sort of across the turret. One person I know puts 1 wrap of teflon tape on his swivel to keep it from working around and out of position. I hope this helps. Let us know.

Sixer

I would reccomend the Double Disk kit either way. I found it much easier to fine tune my loads with it.

What sucks is that it's just another set of disks, 2 little plastic things, and 2 longer screws. Not much of a "kit" if you ask me... but probably worth the $20 bucks.

CortJestir

Thanks folks.

I've been mostly loading .45ACP and 9mm so I've been using the charge bar to measure out the relatively smaller loads. Very easy and accurate. The portion that does not clear the Safety Prime is the base of the autodisk, so even if I did use a double disk system, I don't think that would help my situation.

As for swiveling, I've turned the Autodisk every which way to no avail. Right now, it's turned to be mostly over the whole turret and this is the best position that only brushes past the Safety Prime.

Might have to bite the bullet and get two risers -- although I know there must be away to configure it correctly using only one...

You're using a riser and it's not clearing?

I've never had a problem with that.

How about taking some clear pictures of the top of your press showing what's going on.

Gecko10

I should be receiving my Lee Classic 4-hole press soon. I've also got a Pro Auto Disk powder measure, Riser and Safety Prime "in the mail." So I'll probably have some questions later.

Regardless, I have been studying a lot about the set-up of the press with these accessories. One of the things I have been studying is the Lee Video and for the life of me I cannot see how adding a Double Disk or another Riser would solve CortJestir's problem. To get the powder measure above the Safety Prime unit would take a lot more additional height than that.

Obviously, to me, not having this stuff in front of me to look at, there must be something else causing this. I would think that it is additional horizontal clearance he needs, not vertical???

Here is the video:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/videos/Turret Press/loading on turret-1.wmv

I have also read that some folks have had to elongate the Safety Prime Bracket's bolt hole to get things lined up properly. This might also be applicable here, though its a different problem. At least it could be a consideration.

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10237&PN=1

Last edited:

CrustyFN

Not a big deal. Mine will just tap the safety prime once in a while, especially with the charge bar.

I would reccomend the Double Disk kit either way. I found it much easier to fine tune my loads with it.
How do you throw 4 grains with a double disk kit when the smallest hole throws at least 3 grains by it self?

Rusty