re-chamber "J" frame

#1 Moses

Is it possible to open up the the chambers on a S&W 360 38 special to accept a 357 cartridge. as this frame is also used on the M&P 360 357 mag.

KUHIO

357 is essentially a longer 38 special case. So unless I misunderstand your question, I think the answer is no. 357 cases are too long to fit into a 38 cylinder. Besides the considerable increase in pressure a 357 offers, not safe to fire in a 38. The frame isn't really your issue, it's the cylinder.

James K

Member In Memoriam
Actually, the cylinder on modern J frames is long enough to accept .357 (it is the same length for both .38 Special and .357 guns) but S&W says the cylinder heat treatment is different for the .357. IMHO, if you want a .357, trade the .38 Special and buy what you want.

Before you do, though, consider that a lot of buyers of those guns in .357 either trade them off or load them with .38 Special. One poster said that in his area, gun shops are full of used lightweight J frames along with boxes of 47 rounds of .357 ammo. He says it takes just 3 rounds of that brutal recoil for the owner to trade down.

Jim

armsmaster270

My brother had a converted J frame his reasoning was if he had to swap ammo with another deputy there would be no problem however it wouldn't be a steady diet, emergencies only.