Re-barrel

hbhobby

I have a turkish mauser that someone chopped the barrel on and am looking to get a new barrel put on it. Where in Phx Az area is the best/cheapest place to go? Also am i better off buying a barrel first or let the shop do that? This is my first re-barrel and dont know where to start

F. Guffey

http://www.turkmauser.com/serialNumbers.aspx

First choose a Mauser from the link above, To become familiar with the site you could be required to click on everything.

Then decide what you want to accomplish, the barrel can be replaced with another barrel to restore that Turk look, Nothing has been said about the stock, was the stock cut?

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

"Also am i better off buying a barrel first or let the shop do that?"

I have Turk Mausers with large rings and small shank barrels, I have Turk Mausers with large rings and large shanks barrels, THEN! there are intermediate length receivers with large receiver rings with large shank barrels.

Going back? The sights are soldered with a small set screw. There are two ways to index the barrel when installing a military type barrel. If you are going to install an after market barrel indexing is not required.

F. Guffey

hbhobby

The chop job cut the stock also. I am looking to make a good hunting rifle for my kid when he gets older. I was thinking of buying a 80-90% stock and we could finish it together. That way he will have something to remember us when i am old and cant remember who or where i am.

F. Guffey

I would advise against considering stock from Richards Microfit, I purchased two of them. Later I informed them I believe I could train wood peckers to do a better job.

F. Guffey

oldgunsmith

Cole Distributing has NOS Norwegian 98K barrels in 7.62 Nato/.308 they made to convert captured rifles after WW II. Outside contour matches the 98K. Excellent quality for the $120.00 it takes to buy & ship. I have one on a light weight hunting rifle & it shoots as well as barrels I paid a lot more for. Another one I have on a S/147 (J.P. Sauer & Son) otherwise original 98K is the best shooting K I've ever fired.

James K

Member In Memoriam
The odds are that the Turkish Mauser action is not the same as the K.98k. Most of the Turk 98 actions are the 98a with a small receiver ring, so a stock inletted for a K.98k will have gaps.

Jim

Wyosmith

Some Turkish Mausers have 12 threads per inch and some have 11 1/2 threads per inch.
You'll want to have the old barrel taken out and the threads measured before you do anything else.

I have cut both 12 TPI and 11.5 TPI for them.

So find out exactly what you have before you proceed.

F. Guffey