RE 33 & .338 Lap. Mag.

NRFJR

Hello all, I have been loading for my .338 Lapua Magnum for a couple of years now it is a savage 111 Long range hunter 26" 1-9.25 twist I love it. I am working on shooting it accurately at a mile (this will take some time). I have worked up a load using IMR 7828 I am getting consistent 4 shot groups of 1.268 at 300 yards I know this will spread out with distance (work in progress) the 7828 is not filling the case up like I would like and I would like to get some more velocity, Has anyone been using the Alliant 33? I see that it takes more powder and I would like to get some input about the powder (pros or cons) before I buy and start working up with a new powder. Thanks in advance.

std7mag

I've noticed it is fairly plentiful on shelves around here in PA.
I don't know how available it is around the country, I have noticed that all the gun rags don't seem it list it in any of their reloading. Even for the 338 Lapua.

I was looking at my Alliant reloading manual just the other night, and noticed it listed for the 7mm Rem Mag with the 175gr. bullets. Was wondering how it would work for the 160gr.bullets.

I also would like to hear peoples feedback on it.

Std7mag

Bart B.

If you're getting 4-shot groups consistantly the same size of 1.286" at 300 yards, I would not change anything. It doesn't matter if load density isn't 100% of the available space in the case; the powder charges are burning extremely repeatable from shot to shot.

Even more amazing is your ability to hold a heavy recoiling rifle repeatable enough to shoot a 338 Lap Mag that accurate all the time.

NRFJR

Well as for control I've had a smidge of training (a long time ago) and a lot of practice and a verry good muzzle break. The 7828 load works just fine but the RE 33 Data shows more velosity than I am getting with the 7828 before pressure signs show (sticky bolt) was just wondering if anyone had any input on the powder. Thanks for the input.

HiBC

NRFJR:I'm doing a build right now on a P-14 Enfield.
I intend to use 300 gr bullets.I have some Nosler Comps to try.

As 1914 WAS 101 yrs ago,I'm not inclined to get too frisky with my loads.I did find the SAAMI specs for pressure and a proof load.I may buy Quickload to get there or get some assistance.

I'll be interested to see how you do with RE 33.

Can you give me a measurement over the outside of your mag box length?

I'm going to set it up for a single stack box.I can create the bottom metal.I first bought an Armalite,but it is a bit long.I followed up with an Accurate mag in 3.775 outside length.It should be .070 less inside.93.5 mm is about 3.68.It should arrive soon.

I'm thinking Armalite brake.Big honker!! But they do work.I'm thinking I prefer 3/4-24 thread,too.

HiBC

Thank you!!That tells me that for my application,the magazine I have coming is probably my best choice.