RCBS X-Dies

Geezerbiker

I saw these on the Midway site and they're claiming that they reduce case stretch. Anybody know if they're really better or if it's a gimmick to get an extra 20 bux per set of dies?

Tony

Bart B.

There's mixed feelings about X dies' reducing case stretching across those who resize fired cases.

I don't think they're worth the money. Especially if you use standard full length sizing dies to size your fired cases and the die's set in the press to push fired bottleneck case shoulders back between 1 and 2 thousandths, the case will get a couple thousandths shorter when fired. When so full length sized, it'll grow in length about an extra thousandth from what it was after the first firing. Each fire and FL size cycle makes the case grow a bit. When it gets as long as specs say it should be, trim it back 5 to 10 thousandths and start over again.

Others swear by them.

I think it depends on how the X die is set in the press and the techniques used on your cases to size them.

arizona98tj

I did some interweb research a couple of years ago. While sorting through the forum threads and such, I noticed one common thing....

Reloaders that use the X-die really seem to like how it works. While I may be incorrect, I don't recall X-die owners posting comments about the die not doing what RCBS claims it does. Given how people like to complain in forums, that probably says something in and of itself. Perhaps that has changed since I researched it....don't know, haven't looked since. On the other hand, reloaders that hadn't used the X-die seemed to have little enthusiasm for them.

That being said, I bought the X-die for reloading .223 Rem. I personally don't like measuring/trimming .223 brass. Unfortunately, I haven't cranked out any finished rounds as of yet. My buddy dropped out of the shooting scene shortly after my X-die purchase and gave me several thousand rounds .223 ammo so there has been little motivation for me to set up my press for cranking out AR-15 practice rounds. :D

Were I you, I would spend some time doing some reading up on the topic and see what has been happening in recent years regarding X-die usage. If you have the time, research is cheap. Good luck.

DJEInConcord

I have reloaded several hundred 30-06 in my small base X-Die. It works for me exactly as advertised. I use them exclusively in M1s and bolt action milsurps. After 6 loadings or so I scrap the brass. I am sure they would take more loadings, but Garands are hard on brass, and 30-06 brass are abundant where I shoot.

The way I use them is as directed by RCBS. After a trip to the range I dump the empties into the tumbler until they are real clean. I then lubricate them on an old-school lube pad careful to not lube the base or shoulders. Then they go on a progressive press that X-Die sizes them and primes them in one step. This saves even more time.

I then wipe off the lube and inspect before going on. I am starting to consider going full blown progressive with the X-dies on all my M1 loads, and the practice loads for the bolt guns.

Very satisfied with them.

Last edited:

saitek

x dies

all in all i think they work great ,i have only used them a couple time's but my .308 have only grown 3-4 tenth's of a thousandth's in my lar 8 .:)

Jim243

I use the 223 x-small base re-sizing die for all my 223/5.56 brass and it did solve a problem I had.

Jim

ricklaut

This post is timely - thanks for the insight. A friend was stuck in backorder hell, and ordered two sets from different vendors. Both showed up within days of each other, and I relieved him of one of them. Haven't tried them yet, but plan to soon. I have lots o' .223 to deal with.

Geezerbiker

Thanx guys. I think I'll give a set a try. I can get the regular .25-06 dies locally but I'll have to mail order the X-dies and I'll wait until I need something else from Midway to combine the shipping...

Tony

stubbicatt

I have found that they work as claimed. In operation the X die sort of works like if you apply too much crimp in the seating operation? The shoulder sort of bulges out under the pressure of pushing the neck down into the shoulder. That the case is all the way into the die, the Full length die keeps the shoulder from pushing out so far that it won't chamber.

I don't know for sure, but I wonder whether a donut or a bulge of brass might form inside the case neck at the neck/shoulder junction with continued use.

Last edited: