RCBS Uniflow Problem?

solitude127

I recently purchased a RCBS RockChucker Supreme Press kit which came with the Uniflow powder measure. After reading the instructions, it says to clean up the rust preventitive oil before use. So I took it apart and cleaned all the oils as best I could by wiping as much off as I could. It also says to run about a gallon of powder through it before use. My problem is that when running powder through the powder measurer, I'm getting a thin layer of powder sticking to the walls of the hopper. Is this normal? If not, had can I get the powder to not stick to walls of the hopper? Thanks

grubbylabs

You need to use something like a brake cleaner but is safe for the plastic housing. The Hornady one shot cleaner should work good.

I have already done this then the next step is to use something to get rid of the static electricity like a dryer sheet. I hope this helps.

farmerboy

I wouldn't clean it with nothing too harsh. Maybe windex and paper towels. Through time and charges powder will quit sticking on it's own. Just clean after through reloading that day and I wouldn't leave powder I'n hopper overnight.

solitude127

So it may be static and/or oily residue?
For static, use a dryer sheet?
For residue, use some sort of plastic safe degreaser?

farmerboy

I'd just clean with windex. And use it. Some small flakes may stck at first ( very small amount) get powder out after through and wipe with paper towel if needed and two or three times it will quit sticking Even if it does now. Won't hurt a thing. Just use it!

farmerboy

Youre welcome but that's just my advice, others will surely chime I'n and probably have more advice too. Take care. And welcome to Firing Line!

grubbylabs

Hornady has you clean their whole powder dispenser system with their one shot cleaner and it seemed to work really well for my friend. If the oil residue is not too bad then the Windex should work just as well. If you try the dryer sheets get some that are scent free and you don't have to rub for all its worth, just lightly and you should be able to make a difference.

Also you can fill the hopper to capacity and adjust your drum to drop the max and cycle a full hopper several times to help it for lack of a better term break in.

Good luck and don't give up on it, it will come around.

What you describe is normal. The powder sticks to the plastic hopper because of static electricity. If you wipe the outside of the hopper with anti-static clothes dry sheet it will help some. I just use canned air to blow it out when I finish loading. The coating is actually a good thing as it acts as a lubricant for the rest of the powder in the hopper.

David Bachelder

Powder sticks to the sides of the hopper?

Mine does that from time to time and I don't see it as a problem. When I empty the hopper I just tap it lightly on the table top. Any powder stuck to the sides falls off immediately and goes back in the can.

dickttx

I keep a new unused dryer sheet rolled up inside my hoppers when they are not in use. Haven't had any static since I started doing that.

serf 'rett

My new Uniflow had some fairly tough "grease" coating on the metal parts, which I cleaned with mineral spirits. Don't think Windex would have cut the that stuff very well, but works for the green hopper.

Try the used dryer sheets too. Then run the recommend pound of powder through the measure to get a slight coating.

Seems to me that certain powders tend be more "sticky" that others. I find my self cussing Unique, bumping to hopper to get the W-231 to fall off the walls and loving VV-N320 (except it's crunchy in the Uniflow).

solitude127

Just a quick update.
I took the whole powder measure apart and on the metal parts, I wiped everything down with a dryer sheet then sprayed and wiped those same parts with a gun scrubber. For the hopper, I wiped with a dryer sheet then sprayed and wiped down with windex.

After getting everything back together, the powder is no longer sticking to the side of the hopper nor the metal base. So far I've ran a few pounds of powder and plan to run another few pounds before I start measuring.

Thanks all for you help.

wncchester

"If I did use a dryer sheet, would it leave some unwanted chemicals in the hopper?"

The 'chemical' in dryer sheets is soap; that's as harmless to powder as it is to us.

oneounceload

Actually, the "chemical" in the dryer sheet, and what makes it work, is a thin wax coating - using that to wipe down the sides makes them slippery and no longer a static issue