RCBS Sold?

Contender

Actually, I just heard on another forum that Blount sold or is about to sell their entire outdoor group to Alliant.

Yes, Alliant Techsystems, the powder company.

Anybody have any further info on this?

Thought I'd post it here because it's largely handloading related.

Regards

Keith J

Pravda

Richtig. Yepper-do. Alliant Tech Systems bought the outdoor products division of Blount which includes Cascade Cartridge Inc.(CCI), Speer, Federal etc.

Quoted from ATK Newsroom:

"Minneapolis, Dec. 10, 2001 - ATK (Alliant Techsystems, NYSE: ATK) announced today that it has completed the acquisition of the ammunition business of Blount International, Inc., Montgomery, Ala. in exchange for approximately 3 million shares of ATK stock valued at approximately $235 million.

The Blount ammunition business manufactures small-caliber ammunition and other related products, and is one of the country's leading suppliers of law enforcement ammunition. The product portfolio includes such well-known brands as Federal®, Speer®, CCI®, RCBS®,Outers®, Ram-Line®, WeaverTM, Simmons®, and Redfield®. The business has approximately 1,700 employees and operations in seven states...."

MADISON

RCBS Sold

It sure would be nice if the new owners would set up a discount store. I would love to be able to drive 40 miles to the Radford, Virginia, powder plant and be able to buy their products, AT A GOOD PRICE.

My friend worked for them for 28 years. One friday afternoon he and about 14 others were called in and fired. Blout, apparently, wanted to reduce their costs to make the company look better on paper in anticipation of the sale. This is one of the ways they did it. Not very nice I thought.

The new owners, I understand, are REALLY into cost cutting. All custom die work is gone. Going to drop the quality of the steel in the dies significantly. What else they have planned I don't know. Conversations with the original owners, the Huntington's, haven't been encourgaging.

I wouldn't expect great things from the new owners.

Nanaimo Barr

I live near Lewiston Id where Spear makes there stuff and I can't get bulk anything unless I order from out of State.. they sure don't seem very supportive of the shooting sports in this area....