RCBS SB 308 dies for loading match quality ammo

mrappe

I just started loading .308 again after many years. The only die that I have is a Small base die since I used to load for a Springfield M1a NM but now I don't have that gun anymore but a Savage Tactical in 308. How much would it effect my ammo to use the SB die?

Thanks

Mobuck

Probably not the best choice. Most loaders aiming for top accuracy use neck sized brass if shooting a bolt action. The SB sizer is nearly at the opposite of neck sizing.

F. Guffey

How much would it effect my ammo to use the SB die?

I have small base dies, I also have BAR dies. I have dies that are mistakes, if it was necessary to reduce the case diameter in front of the case head/above the shell holder I can do that. I do not find it necessary but 'just in case' I have the dies. And I have feeler gages, when sizing a case for a short chamber I use the feeler gage. When I want to know if it is necessary to use a small base die I start with a feeler gage.

Then there is measuring the diameter of the case above the case head. By design I find it impossible to size the case head, the shell holder with a deck height of .125" prevents the die from sizing the case below .125" above the case head + the radius of the die.

F. Guffey