RCBS Pro 2000 help

GWS

Rock Chucker experience 42 years, using a tube loader the first five years.
For the next 31 years I used a lee hand primer for safety sake and better seating feel.

Pro 2000 experience started 6 years 2 months ago using the APS primer strip system.

Safer than tubes, faster than hand priming. Faster than tube priming if you use CCI preloaded strips. You already have 100,000 conventional primers? That's just fine, since you can load all 100,000 into strips using the strip loader as you need......I can load 100 primers using the strip loader in less time than it takes to peck 100 into a tube. The real difference is, what you peck you need to load.....what you strip you can load or you can put away safely for another day. Need something to do safely with your hands while you watch TV with the wife? Use your strip loader and strip a 1000 or more during a TV series.

Nearly flawless priming once you learn the system. I use an RCBS Trim Mate primer pocket uniformer, and their bench swager (for military brass). I also just "touch" the pocket edge on the Trim Mate's military reamer to ever so slightly bevel the edge of swaged pockets to make starting primers a sure thing. Once pockets are uniform in depth, I set the Pro 2000's primer setting depth and prime away......zero stoppage....no turned primers, no crushed primers, no high primers....ever.

I use a counter.....it beeps every 25 stokes to remind me to grab another strip and attach it to the end of the previous strip. (strip attaching is a 2 second operation) That's repeated all night. No tubes have to be loaded, no loaded tubes to worry about exploding. You could conceivably blow a primer or two if you really screw up, but no more ...... no 100 primer pipe bombs to go off.

I don't relish ever having to go back to tube primer loading.

Peter M. Eick

APS strips. Simple. They are safer. In over 300,000 rounds loaded and using the press now since early 2000, I have never popped a primer. I have crushed a few, stuck the strip on a few but never, not even once popped a primer. That is safety.

In a tube if you get a tube detonation, it could be catastrophic. Do some searches on primer tube detonations and then consider your situation.

higgite

I have zero experience with primer tubes, but will second what GWS and Peter said about using APS strips. I use them on a Pro 2000 press and a bench mounted priming tool. Never say never, but primer tubes just have no appeal for me. I really, really like some of the features of the new Pro Chucker, but the primer tube is a turn off. Maybe I'll get over it, but doubtful.