RCBS expander plug issue....

E.J.W.

Recently acquired a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Borrowed a set of carbide dies and picked up two bags of new Starline brass. Began to process the brass for some starting loads and when I had run 10 or so cases through the expander die, the 11th case got stuck on the expander plug. I was able to remove it with pliers, but sacrificed the case. This occurred a second time after the next 5 or so cases resulting in another ruined case. I then stopped and disassembled the die. I noticed some "gold" streaks running vertical on the plug. I polished them off. Photo 0525r is how the plug looked when I started again. Photo 0523r is how it looks after only 5 cases were run on it. The streaks were back and I could feel each one getting progressively harder to pull off the plug.
Any thoughts? Is it the brass? Could the borrowed dies be worn out?
Thanks in advance.
E.

Attachments

• IMG_0523r.jpg
    IMG_0523r.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0525r.jpg
    IMG_0525r.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 72

FITASC

The carbide part is the ring at the base of the die that reduces the outer dimension; the expander plug might need some lubrication.

E.J.W.

These are definitely carbide dies. I own four other calibers all in RCBS carbide 3-die sets. The case is not getting stuck in the re-sizing die, it's the second step of flaring the case mouth with the expander plug that the case gets stuck on.
I read some posts on a different forum on this same issue, they all seem to indicate the "new" brass is too clean. A possible solution is to tumble the new brass for a few minutes prior to processing it for the first time. I'll be trying that idea out before the next cases are processed.
Thanks
E.

Reloadron

Is your expander die setup per the RCBS instructions? All you are doing is using the expander to place a slight bell in the case mouth, just expanding the case mouth slightly. The expander plug itself, inside the die is tapered. Back out the expander plug and make sure it is clean. Run the die down and set it up per the instructions. Now insert the expander plug and run it down so when the ram of the press in on the full upstroke the expander plug merely bells (slightly opens) the case mouth so a bullet can be started for the seating process.

Ron

E.J.W.

Thanks Ron, I did check to see that I had all set properly. This is the first time in 28 years of reloading pistol cases that I ran into this. I checked all four of my other RCBS carbide sets to see if the expander plug had the gold brass streaks on them, none did.
I've started with new brass lots of times and it has been Starline as well with never an issue till now. I ordered my own set of new 45 Colt dies last night so it will be educational to see if the same problem exists with those. The dies I borrowed, who knows how many cases they have reloaded. The owner was not using them as he sold his 45 Colt revolver some time ago.
It would be good to figure this out so I can advise him when I return them to him.

Dufus

Not sure if this would be an issue, but once upon a time (again, not sure if this applies today) a person could get an expander for either 0.452" or 0.454" bullets.

Maybe you got the big one??

Measure to make sure that the expander is sized to accommodate the 0.452" for modern day firearms.

Reloadron

Then you got me. The expander plug did look a little peculiar in the picture. On mine both 45 Colt and 44 Rem Mag it is not unusual to see the brass discoloration on the plugs but it generally wipes right off.

Ron

E.J.W.

Ron,
All my other RCBS expander plugs do have a slight yellow "tint" to the plug tip.
Again these 45 dies are not mine so I have no idea how many cases they have been used for. The brass streaks won't just wipe off as on yours. I had to use "000" steel wool then finish with some metal polish.
I wanted to measure the plug tip as Dufus suggested, but the coin battery for my calipers was dead so that will have to wait till I get a new battery.
My fellow club shooter that these are on loan from said he never had an issue that he could remember nor did he remember polishing the expander plug tip either. He surmised since they have been loaned out many times since he sold his 45 Colt back in 2005, any one of the borrowers could have done the polishing. My own new die set should be here by Friday so we'll see what happens with them.
Thanks.
E.

Reloadron

Yeah, I think the new expander die will work out. It just seems unusual for the expander to result in a stuck die. Please do post back once you try the new dies.

Ron

E.J.W.

Ron,
My new dies arrived Thursday. I processed 50 cases last night with no issues at all. The expander plug being new was not polished, but performed with no stuck cases. On a side note; I had also sent an email to RCBS tech help, they too responded yesterday that they will be sending me a new expander die at no charge to replace the malfunctioning one. I advised the die set owner of this and he was pleased.
Thanks to all for the replies.
E.

Reloadron

Great! Yes, RCBS and most are very good at sending support parts out. Anyway, happy reloading, always better when things are problem free. :)

Ron

T. O'Heir

"...stuck on the expander plug..." Screw the case mouth into your lube pad. Puts a bit of lube on the expander button.
"...they will be sending me..." That'd be RCBS' legendary customer service. Any issues, they just fix it. Even if you had been the cause.

DaleA

When you get a new battery for your calipers could you measure the plugs and report back?

The original (malfunctioning) dies were not purchased by you correct?

It's a real stretch but could the former owner of the dies replaced the expander with one from another set? It would be goofy but it would be possible.

Also thanks for telling us what RCBS is doing for you.

E.J.W.

Dale, the expander plug has "45 Colt" engraved into it just below the knurled area.
No, I do not own the malfunctioning set of dies.
I will try to remember a battery on my outings this weekend.
Thanks
E.