RCBS Bullet Feeder

GWS

Yes it works, but keep in mind that there is no collator.....you have to load tubes manually.

RCBS probably copied AlliedArmory's idea, only he use Hornady feed dies. Check out this thread: Arfcom $28 Bullet Feeder Thread

Since AlliedArmory used a hitch pin (like on a primer tube) he could pre-load several tubes. RCBS has extra tubes, but I don't see a hitch pin in their design. It looks like they use a top cap instead. If the cap fits tight, you could load extra tubes upside-down, and store them until you are ready to insert a new tube. Probably just as good.

Last edited:
Wow, what a long tube. Interesting idea about the pin...that should be a simple mod. I am going to order the RCBS one and give it a try....will do a follow up down the road.

higgite

I must be missing something here. Not trying to be a smarta**, but without a collator, what's the advantage of filling the tube one bullet at a time by hand every 20-25 rounds as opposed to placing each bullet by hand on a case in the press? I'm a gadget lover and I gotta admit it's tempting, but just wondering what's the net gain?

I see a couple of advantages in using this feeder.
1. It's supposed to set the bullet straight on the case.
2. Keeps fingers away from the press.
3. Able to concentrate on the other operations going on during the process.

The down side is that my Hornady LnL has only 5 stations, so now I will need to size and de-prime all cases before setting up to reload, or else get the attachment that fills powder through the expander die.

I did order one today, but it's on back order.

GWS

I must be missing something here. Not trying to be a smarta**, but without a collator, what's the advantage of filling the tube one bullet at a time by hand every 20-25 rounds as opposed to placing each bullet by hand on a case in the press? I'm a gadget lover and I gotta admit it's tempting, but just wondering what's the net gain?

Valid question. First of all the way the man is set up he can load around 50 rounds at a time in one tube. (on his version, the tubes are 36" long) So if he loads 2 tubes whiles he's watching NCSI, he can be ready to crank 100 rounds out very quickly, and second, he has that capability for a whole 28 bucks and nearly zero effort.
I see a couple of advantages in using this feeder.
1. It's supposed to set the bullet straight on the case.
2. Keeps fingers away from the press.
3. Able to concentrate on the other operations going on during the process.

I don't think it sets a bullet on the case any better than I can with fingers, but I'm betting a more than a few have experienced getting a finger between the case and the die, trying to move things along a little too fast. (press bite hurts like hell!:eek:) The biggest advantage IMO is simplicity and feeding bullets quickly, 50 at a time.

If you use a progressive without an expensive factory case feeder (a large number of progressive users)....then this simple bullet feeder can speed things up with for the cost of a cheap die set. Not only that, you can continue to save for that case feeder while you enjoy loading at nearly the same speed as if you had one.

If you have (or you purchase later) a case feeder....then so much the faster (and easier). And check out the ease in changing calibers...vs. a case feeder.;)

The down side is that my Hornady LnL has only 5 stations, so now I will need to size and de-prime all cases before setting up to reload, or else get the attachment that fills powder through the expander die.

Actually the PTX is required, as there is not a great way to expand the cases the required .030" without one. Not so bad a down side though, the PTX (both Hornady and RCBS make them now) work really well. Just move your powder measure to #2 and you're in business. The .030" mouth expansion is needed to have the bullets drop in and stay put as you advance to the seater station.

Neilkahn

RCBS Tube Bullet Feeder

I just tried mine for the first time over the weekend and liked it very much. I do feel it sped up the reloading quite a bit. It is a little challenging inserting a tube full of bullets into the die while still being able to allign the tube into the bottom of the die but with a little practice I figured it out. It fed 9mm bullets very reliably. I had to flair the case mouth a little more than I would normally but the taper crimp seater took care of the flair nicely. The tube can be loaded fairly quickly and it does make the reloading operation smoother, since the only thing you're adding is a new case. I also agree you can observe the process more closely since you don't have to worry about putting a bullet on the case. All in all very pleased.