RCBS 5-0-5

Mike40-11

Picked up a 505 scale at an antique shop, of all places. 40 bucks. Used but perfect condition, with the box even.

Very nice. I've been using the Lee Safety Scale for 5 years or so. It works fine and is accurate according to my check weights. But this is a whole lot nicer. Damps more quickly and the .1 gr adjustment and reading is MUCH easier.

I like it.:cool:

Vance

I also have the Lee safety scale. Mine was never consistent in it's weights. Very frustrating. I bought a new RCBS 505 scale and it has been consistent and accurate every time I use it. Very much worth the extra I paid for it.

adrians

Iv'e been using my 5-0-5 for years and apart from dusting it every so often and checking it with some weights ,(once in a blue moon) I have no reason to use anything else.

In other words , they are a great piece of kit. :)

Jimro

I picked up an Ohaus 5-0-5 scale years ago that I still use, anyone know when they started branding them with RCBS?

Jimro

Vance

RCBS and Dillon have their balance beam scales made by Ohaus. Easier than trying to research and develope your own.

Nick_C_S

My RCBS scale is a little different than a 5-0-5. I call it a "5-10." It has a single rail for 10-grain increments - goes up to 500; and then a little "drum" that rotates and goes from 0 to 10-grains, in 1/10g increments. I don't know how else to explain it. (It says it's made by Ohaus for RCBS.)

At any rate, it came in my starter kit in 1984 and it works like a champ to this day. I have no desire to "upgrade" to any electronic fancy-schmancy thing. I trust gravity over batteries all day every day.

Last edited:

FlyFish

NICK_C_S said:
My RCBS scale is a little different than a 5-0-5. I call it a "5-10."

Which is exactly what RCBS calls it. I've had mine since the mid-70s and it still works perfectly.

Bob_T

I bought my Ohaus 5-0-5 back in the late 70s when I first started reloading.

Still my one and only scale.

j357

+2 on the 5-0-5.

I bought one used at a LGS several years ago, based on the great reviews by other owners here. About two weeks ago I was lucky enough to find another one for my dad, used at a show. His is a little nicer as it is cast metal whereas mine is plastic. Both were right at $40.

If all the parts are there, the beam is straight and the plastic/phenolic balance points are crisp and dont show damage they are a great find.

Mike1

Good scale. I also found if I used this scale (or any other balance beam) at eye level (instead of bending over each time) that I could get a very accurate measure each time with very small deviation.

Nick_C_S

Originally Posted by NICK_C_S: My RCBS scale is a little different than a 5-0-5. I call it a "5-10."

FlyFish: Which is exactly what RCBS calls it.

Oh yeah, it says so right on the front :p I used it last night and noticed that lol. So 5-10 it is. It's a great scale. I know that.

I've used both. Pacific/Hornady and a RCBS-505. 505 has much better beam dampening. For my needs of the two. I prefer the RCBS much better. If I were reloading sensitive powder charges. No doubt I would consider the Hornady for that purpose.