RCBS .223 X-Die Q's

mongoose33

I'm trying to adapt my reloading of .223 to the X-die, which is supposed to prevent brass from growing too long during repeated resizings, thus requiring trimming. This would eliminate a significant step in the reloading process.

The instructions say that brass should be trimmed .020 shorter than maximum to start after full-length resizing, which I presume means .020 shorter than the listed 1.760 in the two manuals I've referenced (Sierra and Lyman).

So, obviously, that would imply 1.740 as the length I should initially trim to after resizing. What's slightly confusing is whether they mean max of what I should be trimming to (1.750) or truly the max listed (1.760).

Is this what those of you using it are trimming to, 1.740?

I have about 1100 twice-fired .223 brass I need to process; any issues of using the X-die w/ such brass, or does it work best w/ new brass?

Any suggestions as to how to get the X-die to work best? I have the Small Base X-die (and load w/ Small-Base dies), and have already successfully full-length resized several pieces of brass using that X-die.

TIA!

SAAMI specs dimensions for cases as maximum numbers, with a minus tolerance, and chambers as minimum numbers with a plus tolerance. This is actually specifies the min/max gauges and it is to insure the largest case fits the smallest chamber.

For case length, the tolerance is -0.020", so your 1.760" case is within the SAAMI length tolerance between 1.740" and 1.760". The X-die is simply asking for an in-spec case minimum to start working with the brass from. I expect it then tries to hold the case to the middle range of the length spec, 1.750", which is what is normally given as a trim length.