rattling rounds inside cylinder

Driveout02

is it normal for the rounds to have room enough to rattle back and forth in a revolver cylinder? My Smith 65 leaves a very small amount of space whilst loaded, but it's enough to let the rounds move if I rock the gun back and forth. Is this a problem?

That is not a problem. It is normal. If there was not enough room for the bullets to move a little bit then it would be hard to close the cylinder. :)

1911Master

As long as the rounds fit and the bullet is tight in the barrel, you shouldn't worry. Right round, right gun, then rifling should take place. If the round bounces in the barrel good luck!

DWFan

Load the gun with an unprimed, empty case and slip a feeler guage in the gap between the cartridge and the frame. If it's over .030", you could see if they make a full-moon clip for your revolver that would eliminate the problem and speed loading.

j-framer

Yes, perfectly normal.

And, though it might not be the first thing to cross your mind when selecting a revolver for concealed carry, in some admittedly special circumstances the rattling rounds can serve as an unwanted "tell" that you're carrying.

The only circumstance with which I've personal experience is with a 340PD in an ankle holster. Believe it or not, in a quiet house, the rattling noise as you go up and down stairs seems quite loud, though I think most people likely would not pick up on it. Doesn't worry me, because there are practically no public places (maybe a library) that have so little ambient noise that the rattling would be easily audible.

Walking on a level surface is completely silent, of course.