Rattkesnakes and 4 x 4's-No match for a .308

AL45

I recently discovered that a 357 grain .45 Colt and a 7.35 mm 128 grain would go completely through a yellow pine 4 x 4 and go a bullets length into the next one. Today, I discovered that a .308 will go completely through 2 4 x 4's and easily dispatch a rattlesnake. My son skinned the snake and is going to finish the skin and eat the meat. We decided the 4 x 4's might be a little tough to eat.

kahrguy

Newbe to firearms or first time killing wood post !! 7.35, carcano right. Not 308 or other wise know is a 7.62x51 cartridge.

I ate my first rattler back around '76. You can live off of them but not the best meat. Two many beers and a local fish fry, No one pays attention of some rattler gets mixed in with the catfish.

AL45

I've shot snakes with a pellet gun, .22 and an arrow, but the only weapon we had at the time was my .308 with a 4 x 9 scope or my Leatherman. The choice was obvious even if it was a slight overkill. I figured someone would think I had shot an off-road vehicle. Maybe next time. KahrGuy, it is a Carcano. My son-in-law said his family has eaten snake many times and he says it ain't bad.

Last edited:

g.willikers

I've had rattler at times.
And agreed, it ain't bad.
But it ain't good, neither.
About the best that can be said for it is that it beats starving.

TXAZ

Yep. But if you want to impressively kill a 4x4, cinder block, it a .50 BMG.

Also they are very impressive on granite. We lived next to a cemetery where a major battle in the Korean War occurred 40 years prior, the battle of which left serious marks in the headstones: The .30 cal-like made nice little quarter sizes dings in the headstones. The .50's made major divots the size of a fist, 1/2-3/4" deep, and bursts could chisel it in half.

Note: edited (underline added to addition) to clarify the damage to the headstones was the result of battle damage in 1950. See companion post below.

Last edited:

jughead2

rattlesnakes

soak that snake in cold salt water over nite, dip in egg and milk mix, salt and pepper to taste, toss it on a charcoal grill. do not over cook and then tell me it aint good.:)

Redneckrepairs

Machz93 I read it that a battle occurred there and he was assessing battle damage to the stones . But hey thanks for getting offended and jumping to conclusions on the matter .
Good day .

PawPaw

I find it offensive and disturbing you would use grave markers for target practice. Good day.

Somebody ain't paying attention. I read it as a battle site. Offensive and disturbing things happen in battle.

g.willikers

It's easy to see the reaction to the statement about the headstones.
For a sec, I had the same as Machz93.
Assuming the graves were from the battle, that is.
It pays to pause sometimes before posting - and replying.

TXAZ

No offense taken Machz. I could have been more clear it was an observation, and certainly was not suggesting or supporting grave desecration, even during war.

The cemetery in question is at Seoul Union Church, near Yongsei University, on the SW side of Seoul Korea just north of the Han River, and was started about 1880.

At the start of the Korean War June 25, 1950, the North Korean / Chinese armies took the city of Seoul within 3 days after invading. According to the locals, a massive battle on the first day of the war took place at the cemetery and surrounding area.
Many small caliber rounds hit the grave stones, (assumed to have been used as cover by both forces involved based on hits on all sides of the markers). An Army veteran pointed out the differences, and noted where the forces were likely located, including .50 cal machine gun(s).
Many of the stones were decimated and some replaced.
It was pretty clear the differences in projectiles.

Last edited:

lamarw

Had to shoot a water moccasin a couple of weeks ago. He was coming out of one of my gourds with a purple martin in his mouth. I dispatched him with a .410 about six inches above his head since I did not want to hit the martin. It was a good shot and the bird actually lived after the snake apparently relaxed it jaws after it was hit. The ten to twelve foot gourd pole is positioned in the lake approximately three feet off my seawall. I now need to install a baffle of some sort.

The last time I checked the turtles were enjoying the moccasin feast and claimed it taste just like chicken. ;)