Rats!

Mastrogiacomo

This is a crazy question, but I'm curious. Rats can absolutely be huge - like the size of a small dog. Are .22's effective to take them out or inconsistent?

Hawg

With regular old rats .22's do very well but with something the size of nutria shot placement is critical unless you just want them to suffer.

Mastrogiacomo

I was just watching a video of someone with pest control shooting them with a .22 and it seemed surprisingly ineffective in that it took a while for them to die and wasn't instant. Is there a different caliber that would work better?

Last edited:

JERRYS.

I was just watching a video of someone with pest control shooting them with a .22 and it seemed surprisingly ineffective in that it took a while for them to die and wasn't instant. Is there a different caliber that would work better?
caliber won't improve shot placement.

stephen426

I would strongly suggest you get a good air rifle, preferably pre-charged pneumatic. Some of them can be extremely accurate and will be much quieter than .22 LR. They have more than enough power to take out rats, especially if you go up to .25 caliber. I have the Benjamin Marauder but just ordered the Air Venturi Avenger. I use them to take out iguanas at my parent's house. I bagged one that was just shy of 5 feet the other day.

Good marksmanship is important for whatever you are shooting, but the much quieter airgun will allow you to take multiple shots without scaring them off. I would also suggest you look up some cool traps on youtube if you are really looking to make a dent in the population. Those darn rats multiply so fast that shooting them probably won't really make a dent in the population.

dahermit

Not rats, but Michigan Cottontail rabbits that I shot with stingers seemed to me to be incapacitated and died way quicker than when shot with standard .22 Long Rifle.

GeauxTide

I shoot squirrels and chipmunks tasting my garden with a Sheridan 20cal. If I head shoot, DRT. If body shot, they run and die in a minute. In the woods, a 22HP blows 'em right up.

jar

medium800.jpg

COSteve

True story. When I first got to Germany in 1967, I was sent to Baumholder, to the 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment. While there, I found out that only 2 of the guard posts were given live ammunition for their M-14s; the post PX / bank and the garbage dump.

The bank for obvious reasons and the garbage dump because the rats were so well fed that they grew to the size of small shepherds, many were rabid, and would attack anyone who came near them.

dogtown tom

When I was in college we would go out to the county dump and shoot rats.
It was a very rural area and all sorts of wildlife ate pretty good in that dump.

Back then it was "self service", unattended and residents of that county would drop off old washers, dryers, refrigerators, tv's, bottles......a target rich enviornment.:D

Mastrogiacomo

Quick question, I'm in a condo. I've seen rats on two occasions now, thanks to new lighting we have in a gazebo by the pond. I'm sure they've always been there. Someone threw a rock one night in the parking lot and when I looked out to see why, I spotted the rat coming close to our building. It's huge...really huge. I can't shoot anything given my residence and city. However, if I was out at night coming back, and I exited my car and saw that - would I be justified to shoot it with a .22 handgun if it came near me?

Last edited:

Pahoo

Very effective and likely, over-kill

Rats can absolutely be huge - like the size of a small dog.
The biggest rats I've ever seen is when I was stationed in SC along the Cooper river and by my measure, a .22, is over-kill. As mentioned, a pellet rifle in more in line ...... ;)

something the size of nutria shot placement is critical unless you just want them to suffer.

Great point as I routinely shoot Ground Hogs/Whistle-Pigs with .22-Shorts at about 20yds. Large bodies but small heads. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Mastogiacomo said:
However, if I was out at night coming back, and I exited my car and saw that - would I be justified to shoot it with a .22 handgun if it came near me?
That's a legal question. The answer depends on exactly what the laws say where you live.

Pahoo

Don't ask and might they be Muskrats ???

However, if I was out at night coming back, and I exited my car and saw that - would I be justified to shoot it with a .22 handgun if it came near me?
This is one of those questions when asked to the local authority, You are likely, to get a "NO" answer. Now then, if one of those big rats attack you, that's a different subject. You have to be sensitive about your "living" environment/neighbors. I live in a small river town, know all my neighbors well and .22 cal. and pellet shots, are quite common. All is well, in the neighborhood. ...... ;)

With all due respect, are you sure these are City-Bred Rats rather than water-bred, Muskrats ???

Be Safe !!!

Double K

Being in the pest control business I occasionally get to shoot rats, they are definitely easier to kill than prairie dogs or squirrels with an air rifle.
I have .177 Diana pre-charged pneumatic {pcp}, the key is using the right pellets. JSB Hades hp 10.34 gr at 900fps incapacitates them instantly with front shoulder shots or lengthwise shots either direction.
Most of the time that's also true with pd's and tree rats.
I've shot a bunch of pd's this summer out to 50yds with my Diana, very few have made it down the holes.