Rate the recoil of different calibers

whitenack

From 0 - 10, rate the recoil of the different calibers, with .22lr being somewhere around 0 and the .45 being somewhere around 10.

I know it is different from gun to gun, and if you want to get specific to what caliber in what gun, go ahead.

9mm-8.0
.40-8.2
.45-8.5
.38spl-7.0
.357mag-8.4

note: a large part of teh difference between calibers can be accounted for in the guns used. example: full size 1911 will feel weaker than a snubby .357 due to higher inertia. then again this assumes you have .357 ammo that is able to work well with less barrel(such as snubby ammo). my experience is that more weight of a bigger gun more than compensates for the additional velocity provided by the longer barrel.

also note: i have never been impressed by .38's and .357's.

RAHatto

My .02

10. S&W-340"noisy cricket"-.357 125 gr Federal-10 I shot 50 & NEVER again
9. 44 magnum-wow that was a beast
8. S&W-500-.50-pure enjoyment, and it cracked my back for me "bonus"
7. my S&W 66 130gr Federal JHP this is my house gun shot 100's+
6. Glock 22
5. Spring XD .40 I need to get me one of these
4. Baretta 9- still don't like it thou. I would not own one
3. my 66 with target shooting 38's

My hand gun knowledge is limited but I have only been shooting them for 2 years now.:D

WESHOOT2

recoil from MY ammo

38 Special = 2/3
357 Magnum = 10
40 S&W = 14
45 ACP = 10
45 Colt = 8,777
9x19 = 6/40

Recoil is truly subjective up until bullets heavy-n-fast.

BLKLABMAN

Scale 1-10
A) 9mm = 2
Glock G17,G26, 92FS
B) .357Sig = 4
G32
C) 10mm = 4 to 6 depending if the load is true 10mm or if it has been lowered to .40 levels. Recoil either way is push vs's a snap
G20, G29
D) .357mag = 5
4" 686
E) .45ACP = 5
H&K USP F, Kimber Series 1 Royal
F) .44mag = 5 to 7 Depending on if the load is a light 180gr, 240gr or a heavy 330gr Garrett load
Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2, S&W 629 5" Classic
G) .454 Casull = 10
Ruger Super Redhawk
H) .480 Ruger = 10
Ruger Super Redhawk

I think "felt" recoil is very subjective.

It is very difficult to rate recoil between calibers in any sort of meaningful way as recoil isn't just by caliber, but load, and platform.

For exemple, it seems counter-intuitive that my Colt Pony .380 has more felt recoil than my Kahr PM9, but it does. Of course, the PM9 is a heavier gun with a grip that is a tad larger and gives more control to the shooter because the shooter holds more of the gun.

Mark54g

White,

Something to take into account is that the number designating the caliber does not correspond directly to the recoil experienced by the shooter. Many people believe the .40S&W to recoil harsher than a .45ACP. The cartridge and the platform (round and the gun) make for most of the recoil felt. The rest is up to the shooter. If you have a firm grip and a steady hand you should be able to fire a .44mag without issue. Small people do it often.

Realize this, For most common service calibers, 9mm, .357mag, .40S&W, 357sig, .45ACP there is very little difference in stopping potential with quality defese ammuntition and a good hit. A .500 S&W mag to the leg, while it may ruin his dancing career may not take someone out of the attack. A .32ACP to the skull might make for a fight stopper.
Buy what you feel comfortable with. Shoot as many different guns as you can get your hands on. Take things into account such as availability of ammo, price of ammo and price/availability of parts should you need to get something fixed or buy more (magazines, springs, etc).

It is very subjective, not just based on the round and gun, but the shooter. To sum it up, the 9mm is a quick fairly light snap. The .40 is a quick hardish snap and the .45 is a dull strongish push. At least that's my take on it. I have not fired a 357sig, but I have fired a lightly loaded .357 mag and it was not uncomfortable to shoot. .38 specials in it were downright light. It takes going to hot .357, 44mag, 500S&W and 480 ruger to really be called "harsh," at least by me

ulflyer

Felt Recoil

45acp in my lightweight Colt Defender is easy, but 380's in my Guardian beats the crap outta the web of my hand. Even 32acp in my Guardian ain't a lot of fun.

Minator

with correct grip and stance all felt recoil is at 0 except for 44mag and a full loading 10mm with my 1911 shooting 45 reacts similiar to firing 9mm I dont notice any difference in the way the gun jumps or any change in accuracy

chris in va

My 9mm CZ 75BD...4
CZ .40 40P (aluminum frame)...9
Sig 220 .45...7.5
KelTec P11 9mm...7

It's all subjective. All I know is I just don't like the .40 round.

Socrates

Calibers don't recoil. Specific powders, determined by burn rates, and quantity, and the cartridges pressure, combined with bullet selection, and case capacity, finally tempered by firearm weight, determine recoil.

I can make a .500 JRH recoil like a 9mm, or a .475 Linebaugh
recoil like a .380.

I cannot, however, make a .380 recoil like a 700 grain S&W 500 load.

S esq.

PS

To answer the question: go to a site with a recoil calculator, punch in the bullet, and powder and velocity, you'll notice the calculators ignore caliber, and compare the numbers.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I can make a .500 JRH recoil like a 9mm, or a .475 Linebaugh recoil like a .380.
First: If you have to do something to MAKE them recoil the same then you're manipulating the normal situation.

Second: The sentence has no meaning if we accept the first sentence of your post as fact. "Calibers don't recoil." If that's true, what could you possibly mean by listing several calibers and stating that you can make them all recoil the same?

Socrates

I stand corrected. You can load the same weight bullets in different calibers, and, given similar powders the recoil is going to be very similar, usually with the LARGER case having the least pressure to reach the desired ballistic goal.

And, yes, it's not a normal situation. John, you of all people, that same the service class pistols rounds are pretty much the same, understands that the differences are small enough that recoil can be easily altered by powder quality, characterisitics, and quantity. Yes, you can load a .380 bullet in a Sabot, ala Dr. Courtney, in a 500 S&W case, and, end up with similar, or less recoil then it would have if fired from a.380 based gun.

The point is that components picked by the ammo companies do a LOT to tailor the public's perception of the characteristics of the different calibers.

S esq.

Tanzer

Of course, size of the gun itself affects the "felt" recoil - simple Newtonian physics. Let's not forget that design matters also. I learned years ago to appreciate the balance of a gun. Bending a little at the hips, and holding properly with the non shooting hand, the recoil of my 1911 can be directed more straight back into my arms. Sure, I notice the difference when I shoot my 9mm, but I chose it for its balance also. My brother in law has an old Taurus .357 magnum revolver. Even with 38's and the weight of the gun, the five inch barrel hanging ten inches in front of the grip makes it want to pop up. Sometimes it's unexplainable because the effect is unique to the shooter. It's why I passed over the XD. I loved everything about it 'till I shot it. I think it's a good gun, just not for me.
Recoil is an odd thing. I'm still a better shot with my .45 3 1/2" barrel than my 9mm PT 24/7 full size. I attribute it to trigger pull.

ZeSpectre

As everyone has said, it's all subject to an enormous amount of variation. The teeny-tiny little Kel-Tec P-3AT has a nasty recoil. The SIG 229 in .40 S&W is pretty darn tame. You also have the difference between lower pressure rounds that tend to "push" (like the .45 ACP and the .44 Magnum) and higher pressure rounds that tend to "snap" (like .40 S&W or .357 Magnum) and this also greatly influences how people feel about recoil. Finally there is the old "everything is relative" factor. If you are used to full-house 10mm or .357 magnum then a .40 S&W doesn't really seem like much. If you go from a .22LR to a .45 ACP that's going to seem like a hell of a jump up.

Ocraknife

I don't think I could rate them, they are so platform dependant. For example, I'd much rather shoot a .460 magnum out of a suitable platform than a .380 out of a Kel-Tec P3AT but the .460 recoil energy is way more than the .380