rate poweRball 9mm ammo.

gmarr

I carry either a G19 or KEL-TEC P11 for my ccw, depends on what and where. Corbon makes very high quality ammunition and the performance is excellent. I use the Pow-R-Ball because it's super reliable feeding, has high velocity, and expands very well.

My guess is that it's not a 'traditional' type of ammunition and therefore hasn't caught on too much yet. Remember that it's designed for self-defense not for punching barriers.

Good choice.

pinotguy

I can't speak about the Pow'r Ball in 9mm Luger, but I do have some experience with the Pow'r Ball in 9x23 Win. I ran a few boxes of it through my 1911 and it functioned and cycled flawlessly. I decided NOT to use it in the end because of the lighter projectile weight. I opted for their DPX loading instead which is a 125-gr. Barnes XPB.

Mark54g

cajun,

The Pow'rBall is NOT a softpoint. It is a plastic ball in the nose. I have shot it in Marcus' CZ 75B (which prompted me to buy my own CZ) into a gel block. I was impressed.
I am not a penetration junkie and I am also not of the opinion that a shallow superficial wound will end a fight. I realize that there is some middle ground. What impressed me was that it was not a sharp round to fire like Fiocchi in 9mm, although the Pow'rBall is +P and Fiocchi is not. Also, the bullet expanded VERY well (flattened out to look like a nickel). It lost some of the jacket along the way and while it went into the 8" or so wide block at a bit of an angle, the force of impact along the way split the side of the block, though the bullet did not exit and was about 2-3" from that particular edge. It may not be my first choice, due to cost, but I would not feel undergunned with it.
I don't think it will go 12+ inches, though. 10-11 may be more like it. However, it should not be impacted nearly as much as some hollow nosed ammo by going through cloth or leather, as it has no cavity to plug.

Odd Job

Check out Brassfetcher's test here:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/100%20grain%20+P%20Cor-Bon%20Pow'R%20Ball.html

Mark54g

I also saw bad reviews, but my experience was not bad. However, I must add that if you plan on staggering magazines with different ammo, you THOROUGHLY test this plan. I don't recommend it, especially an A/B/A/B type. If you were instead to try an A/A/B/B/B type that may make more sense (if you don't use something exotic like EXTREME SHOCK! or Glaser/Magsafe. However, again, you may not notice small things that can cause a failure.

jon_in_wv

That was one of the most poorly written reviews I've seen. Not exactly the most credible. That aside, I tested some 38 special Powr'balls in wetpack and waterjugs, maybe I had a bad lot, but I didn't get ANY expansion out of it. I was really disappointed. I think the concept is sound, and the other tests I've seen it performed well. I don't find an advantage over the DPX round so I will stick with it personally. If it was for a gun that would only shoot ball or Pow'rball, then the Powr'ball would be a real step up instopping power over the ball for that weapon. IMO.

Last edited:

DBR

I use Speer 124gr +P gold Dot.

I would also consider Corbon DPX. Winchester 147gr Ranger, Remington 124gr +P Golden Saber, Remington 147gr Golden Saber, Federal HST depending on the particular gun and mission.