Rarity of S&W 4056

Elerius

By sheer coincidence, the two rarest guns on my gun list came up for sale at the same time. Already have a thread on the M27 I'm looking for. The other is the 4056.

AFAIK, this is the only all-stainless 3.5 inch .40 that Smith ever made. I'm building a variety of Smith autos that have certain features, with different permutations of finish, size, frame material, action type and caliber with as few guns as possible. Owning this one makes all the pieces fit.

But how rare is this exactly? I can barely find any info on the net. My S&W guide says little, and that it was produced in 1997. Can anyone shed any light on how many, and how much I can expect to pay for it after fighting it out with everyone else?

Vet66

I think that's a model 4516, I could be wrong. I have a model 5967 which is also short on info.

dgludwig

I don't think the Model 4056TSW is "all-stainless"; I believe the slide is stainless steel but the frame is alloy.

Elerius

The model is all stainless. The alloy version of this gun is, I believe, the 4053, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have my Standard Catalogue at the moment, but a quick Google search appears to confirm my memory.

The specs I listed are accurate, no worries there..... Although I'm holding lesser hope that anyone has a rarity for me, since it is apparently SO rare everyone thinks I'm mistaken :D

Big Shrek

Here's what I could find...
Estimated that around 1100 were manufactured, mostly in the MSE10xx - MSE20xx range; but a VJA9576 serial number has been observed.

Total listing of all 3rd gens...
S&W%203rd%20Gen%20Production%20Models1.jpg

Mags from 4013, 4053, etc...are the 9-rd versions.

Elerius

Where I'm the world did you get that list? :eek:

I'm saving that one, amazing! Thanks!

That makes more manufactured then the 4505 and 5905, which are in the 400 pieces range and a 5905 (on the list) just sold for ~$750. A few listings for the 4056 were asking ~$1000. So hopefully this means it won't go that high and I can finally grab one :)

Big Shrek

S&W provided the list, others have posted it on various S&W boards.
It is a handy thing to have in one's pocket when shopping for bangbang toys!

For the weapons I own, there are few who do deeper research...
Something to do with OCD, no doubt ;)

My only 3rd Gen S&W is a CS45...eventually will get a CS9 & CS40
which I accidently bought because I was looking for a Star M-30...
the CS45 looked similar and felt really nice with the fat Hogue Grips,
so it ended up in my collection, then quickly ended up in my EDC rotation,
as it slips nicely into a pocket holster and rides well :)

thumb2_gedc0121-3044.jpg

thumb2_gedc0120-3043.jpg

dgludwig

QUOTE: I don't think the Model 4056TSW is "all-stainless"; I believe the slide is stainless steel but the frame is alloy.

QUOTE: The model is all stainless. The alloy version of this gun is, I believe, the 4053, if I'm not mistaken. I don't have my Standard Catalogue at the moment, but a quick Google search appears to confirm my memory.

Quoting from the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", page 240, describing the Model 4056TSW as: "Caliber .40 S&W, double action only, compact alloy frame with stainless steel slide...". I have no personal experience with the Model 4056 and am only citing the description of this model from the reference book you spoke of-which isn't to say that the book is right and that you are wrong. I know of way too many instances when so-called "reference" books have provided erroneous information.

Elerius

I'm looking at my Standard Catalogue right now.... This is the entire blurb on mine

"Model 4056TSW Caliber: .40S&W. Double action only compact stainless steel frame with stainless steel slide, 3-1/2" barrel, white dot on post front sight with two -dot rear fixed sight, 9 round double stack magazine, .260 semi-bobbed hammer with .305" smooth trigger, curved backstrap grip. Weight is 36.5oz. Produced 1997"

Exact wording from my catalog.... I dunno why they'd be different. In pictures of the 4056, including the one I'm bidding on, the frame has the same appearance as the slide. It certainly looks stainless and is described as such. The Catalog lists the 4053 as the same gun with an alloy frame. I'm going to be massively disappointed if it turns out somehow to be stainless, but none of the pictures have that two tone look of the alloy-stainless combo

Last edited:

BigMike

I am also a big fan of 3rd Gen S&W autos, especially the DAOs. The 4056 TSW has a stainless steel frame and from a distance will look like a non-TSW 6946, or the early runs of the 4053 (alum frame) TSWs, without the rail or blocker slide. My timing in acquiring one that was for sale was always off. The run numbers referenced above are what I've known about the 4056: not many made. I'd grab it if you can.

carguychris

Elerius said:
I'm looking at my Standard Catalogue right now.... This is the entire blurb on mine

"Model 4056TSW Caliber: .40S&W. Double action only compact stainless steel frame with stainless steel slide..." Exact wording from my catalog.... I dunno why they'd be different.
FWIW mine matches yours. :)

dgludwig

My copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is the Second Edition. A check with the smith-wesson forum revealed over forty corrections and errors in the Second Edition (supposedly rectified in the Third Edition). Not a very confidence inspiring reference resource...:(

Elerius

My copy of the "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson is the Second Edition. A check with the smith-wesson forum revealed over forty corrections and errors in the Second Edition (supposedly rectified in the Third Edition). Not a very confidence inspiring reference resource...

So out of curiosity, when you use your second edition to look up the alloy version, the 4053, what does it say? Is the blurb exactly the same as the 4056?

dgludwig

Quoting from page 239 of the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, Second Edition, concerning the Model 4053: "Caliber-40 S&W, double action only version of the Model 4013, stainless steel slide and alloy frame, eight-round magazine, 3-1/2" barrel, .260 semi-bobbed hammer, .304" smooth trigger, post white dot front sight, Novak Lo-Mount rear sights, 3rd triggerguard. Weight 28 ounces. Retail $722. Produced 1991-1998."

There are also references to the "Model 4053TSW: 'Tactical'" and the "Model 4053 TSW: '40 Tactical Smith & Wesson' " on this page. Hope this is of some help.

Elerius

For anyone that remains interested, the 4056 sold for $1,185. More than I was willing to spend at this point. That 5905 just sold for ~$750 and there are a lot fewer of them. So who knows :confused:

pmkent

Curious question for anyone who might be able to help. And forgive me since on some level Im a bit new to 3rd gen S&W's.

Ive recent come into posession of this 4506TSW. Ive been looking for just about anything I could find about value, etc. This is the first, and really only, forum/page Ive found with any real info on it. Is the $1185 mentioned an accurate # to go off of?

Mine is in impeccable condition. Not a nick, mark or scratch on it anywhere. If I didnt know any better Id say it was unfired (its not unfired). I have brand new guns in a little worse condition. 1 mag, no original case etc. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2306.JPG
    IMG_2306.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2309.JPG
    IMG_2309.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 32