Rap 401 9mm pistols

kitman

Just got a R.A.P 401 in 9mm and I would like any info you have, what mags will work? any problems? It seems to be a good pistol just would like the nitty gritty.

Keep your powder dry
Kit

kitman

I belive it is made by Republic arms of south affrica.
Its quite robust. It kida looks like a copy of something but I dont know what.
Any info ?

Steven Mace

HG132N.jpg

Kitman is correct! The RAP-401 is manufactured by Republic Arms of South America and imported to the USA by Century International Arms. Made of all steel construction, it's DAO and chambered in 9x19mm with an 8-shot magazine. The barrel is 3.5" with 3 dot sights, last shot hold open, hammer drop safety/decocking lever and firing pin block safety. It was first released in 1999 but I don't know how it really compares to other compact 9mm's. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace

TMB2

The RAP 401 (9x19) and 440 (40 S&W) are essentially copies of the Astra A75. My understanding is that accessories designed for the A75 can be used for the RAP pistols.

makarov

How much is Century International charging for the RAP's? Also give us an idea how it shoots... How is the DAO trigger?

TMB2

The RAP 401 and 440 are traditional double action pistols, that is, double action on the first shot (after decocking) and single action on each subsequent shot. The Century Arms website no longer lists the 401, but the 440 is listed at $199.87. However, the 440 is on special until January 10 for $179.99.
I have a 440 and like it a lot. It weighs 32 ounces so it's not the most comfortable to carry around but the weight is appreciated when firing the .40 S&W round. This gun is a steal at $179.99 in my opinion.

hksigwalther

A75

TMB2 is right. It is basically a copy of the Astra A-75 with a safety/de-cocker instead of just a de-cocker.

It is a very small handgun (6.5" long muzzle to backstrap/griphorn, 5" high top of rear sight to bottom of floorplate, 1 3/8" thick). It is a bit heavy (if it is all steel) for comfortable carry but Astra did have a lighter weight alloy framed version of the A-75. Not sure about RAP. Stippled plastic grips seem to be identical to the A-75's which worked very well but were brittle (the right side of one of my 75s cracked and replaced with factory Astra rubber grips). Magazines for the 9mm and .40SW were/are identical. They even have one side (left) stamped 9mm the other .40SW.

The 75 I shoot shoots very well. The OD if the end of the muzzle is belled out to fill up the barrel hole of the slide. The fit is pretty tight. Slide to frame fit is also pretty tight for a gun that low in price. (~$250 for the 75s when I bought them.) The only other gun I have that is as small is the Ruger SP101.

VictorLouis

I handled one briefly at the show today. It did seem to exude a nice build quality, and certainly heft. In .40, it was at $239, IIRC.