Votes: 34 34.0%
  • S&W, Colt, Ruger

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • S&W, Ruger, Colt

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spacecoast

From the choices above, choose your ranking of contemporary double action revolver designs from Colt, Ruger and S&W. To keep it simple, consider three "equivalent" models - the Python, the GP100 and the 686.

Please take into consideration shootability, durability, maintainability and tunability (ability to change the action to one's liking). Single action shootability can be a factor if you like.

If you would like to comment and defend your rankings, please feel free to do so.

MrBorland

Tough call between S&W & Ruger. I think the GP100 has the more robust and reliable design, but since some of the replacement parts aren't available from Ruger, and there are more aftermarket parts for the S&W, the latter gets the nod for maintainability and tunability.

Since Colts aren't made any more, maintainability and tunability put them a distant 3rd, IMO.

pete2

It's gotta be S&W, Colt and Ruger. The S&W just feels better when shooting, the Colt is kind like a sports car(you gotta have a SAA and a Python, Ruger is a work horse, but kinda crude compared to a S&W or a Colt.

Guv

GP100 has a better cylinder lockup than the Python or the 686 combined. Having said that, Colts are more glamorous, although the Colt is way, way overpriced. Older Smiths had allot more class than the new ones, grooved grip frames, nicer finish, etc..... The Rugers finish is equal to a the new Smith.
Ruger, Smith and Colt.

chewie146

An AK isn't as nice as an AR, but if you had to have one gun to last the rest of your life, which would you choose? That's a poor analogy as well, as my Blackhawk is capable of minute-of-gong at 200 yards. And that's with me shooting! Granted, that's not a DA, but it shows Ruger is capable of accurate revolvers. My father-in-law's GP-100 is a fine handgun. With the price and non-existent production of Colt revolvers, I think Ruger beat them out. Smith is just a good handgun. It's not a tank, it's not a sports car, but it will do both very, very well. Ask Jerry. Ruger has the durability, Smith has the refinement, and Colt has a bug up its butt.

Archie

Saddens me...

Ruger probably has the best quality control and day-in/day-out function. They look a bit clunky, but the actions are smooth and problems are rare. (I'm still mad they quit making the Security-Six line.)

When Smith & Wesson still made proper revolvers, they were the best of the lot. Not any more, however, they've just gone cheap. Still, the basic design is solid and the double action function works like it should. (I personally don't buy any without a pinned barrel.) (And no %&^#* locks.)

Colt double action revolvers are pigs with lipstick. The double action function is quirky, unstable and annoying to fire. The internal clockwork is such they go out of timing (cylinder/chamber doesn't line up correctly with barrel) on a regular basis. They have a great reputation for being 'strong'; the frames are stout and the cylinders are big. But the internals are not all that reliable.

So I'm one of the Ruger, S&W, Colt people.

Micahweeks

I basically voted on what I said in the "Is the GP100 the best revolver of all time" thread, price to performance ratio. Rugers, in my opinion, come out on top here followed by S&W then Colt. I like them all, though. My money just goes to Ruger since its the best value on my budget (which. these days, is not what it used to be).

Sevens

I think the three given examples would be a lot more realistic if you removed the Python and replaced it with the King Cobra.

The KC was -the- direct competitor on the market to the 686, and the KC uses the MkV action that doesn't live for all the fine tuning that the Python has a reputation for. Maybe because they aren't nearly as popular... but who has ever seen or worked a King Cobra out of time or out of tune?

You also use the term "contemporary" and the 686 hit the market in 1980, the GP-100 in what... '84 or '85? The Python arrived in like 1955. The King Cobra or Trooper MkV is the "contemporary" Colt Double Action revolver.

spacecoast

I think the three given examples would be a lot more realistic if you removed the Python and replaced it with the King Cobra.

The KC was -the- direct competitor on the market to the 686, and the KC uses the MkV action that doesn't live for all the fine tuning that the Python has a reputation for. Maybe because they aren't nearly as popular... but who has ever seen or worked a King Cobra out of time or out of tune?

You also use the term "contemporary" and the 686 hit the market in 1980, the GP-100 in what... '84 or '85? The Python arrived in like 1955. The King Cobra or Trooper MkV is the "contemporary" Colt Double Action revolver.

While it's true that the Python predates the S&W by 25 years, they are both based on actions that were designed many decades before, and they did compete with each other for almost 20 years, and with the Ruger for over a decade. Plus, I'm pretty sure a lot more people are familiar with the Python than the King Cobra and that's why I used it in my comparison. I didn't intend for money to be a factor, but it does seem to factor into some votes anyway. I'm sure if I had used the King Cobra instead, someone would have said "Why didn't you compare the best models of all three?"

Despite its models' mystique and desirability, the Colt action (specifically DA trigger pull effort) is not as consistent or as tunable (in my opinion) as the S&W design and that's why I ranked it second.

Last edited:

micromontenegro

That. Arguably, the KC is the best (or at least the most modern) DA contemporary revolver design.

pete2

The King Cobra is the most modern of the lot but pull the trigger through on all 3 and the S&W is the best, it's also the least modern of the lot. Makes you wonder.

bbqbob51

I voted S&W, Ruger, Colt.
First of all the Colt loses out because they just don't make the Python anymore. That and from what I have heard and read (I have not had the pleasure of shooting one...yet) they are precision made and thus need occasional tuning. They are also 3 times the price of the S&W 686 and Ruger GP100.
The Ruger is certainly built like a tank and are very reliable I just don't think they are as well designed as the Smith.
The Smith and Wesson is also available in a wider variety of barrel lengths and cylinder capacity. I chose the 686+ with a 4" barrel for my .357mag revolver. I figured if 6 shots are good then 7 shots must be better. My brother on the other hand chose the Ruger GP100, to each his own! I have shot both and for all intents and purposes they feel basically the same in the hand and shoot very similar. I don't feel you can go wrong with either one.

Buzzcook

Some Colts are better than some S&W and visa versa. Some Rugers are better for some purposes than either.

If we say that the trigger is the most important part of a gun then Colt wins. If the ability to fire Ruger only rounds is the most important thing then Rugers win. For most anything else S&W wins.

Waspinator

I guess it depends on what you mean when you ask about design. Design as in looks? Or, design as in the engineering/mechanics/function of the piece?

I'm a machinist, so I'll take it as the engineering/mechanics/function design meaning.

I voted Ruger, Smith, Colt.

I like Rugers' cylinder lock-up. I like the push button cylinder release. I like the ease of disassembly. I like the modular trigger group. I like the solid frame with no side plate. I like the coil mainspring over leaf style. I like the tang style grip frame that gets wraped around with the grips completely.

James K

Member In Memoriam
If by Colt is meant the old design, it is the most antiquated (yes, yes, the Python is the greatest gun ever made in the whole universe, etc., but the design is still ancient), the hardest to make work well, and the easiest to get out of order.

Rugers are good, but the need to keep within price constraints has hurt some. They have just not done enough "tweaking" to get their guns to work really well.

The basic S&W design is also old, but it was better to begin with and the company has kept updating it, something Colt never did until fairly recent times when they did not have the capital to carry through on their upgrade.

Jim

gyvel

The "old" Colt lockwork was based on the Chamelot-Delvigne lockwork which is pretty close to being a 150-year+ old design.

In other words, a Python is related to an 1873 French 11mm service revolver, et. al.