Ranges near USAF Bases?

USMCGrunt

OK, so I finally made it out to the range at Hurblurt Field down here in Florida for some quality time with my Sig and HK. While it's nice to have any range, this one just doesn't impress me. First is a 2-man rule where you are required to have at least 2 liscensed drivers at the range. This way in case one of you opt to try out for the most recent Darwin awards, the other one can drive you to the hospital. :rolleyes: Next is assigned lanes (this is an outdoor range BTW) so being able to pactice firing on the move (the wife and I shoot a lot of IDPA and IPSC) is out. Having to take a written test befroe you can use the range doesn't impress me nor does the idea of having to leave dud rounds in a red ammo can for EOD to dispose of thrill me all that much either. If it's a dud, I want to break it down and salvage the components. I think the longest range is a 200 meter rifle range (woopie! :rolleyes: ) though for down here, I'm sure they think that's plenty far enough. Finally, is it just me or does the thought of being under video survelience creep you out too? I know it's a military base and all but it sure has shades of Big brother watching if you ask me! The civilian range up in Crestview isn't all that much better with no more than 1 round down range every 2 seconds (kind of kills doing double-tap drills or failure to stop drills) so I'm not even bothering to join that outfit. :barf:
Now when we were at Minot AFB in North Dakota, the range there was actullay pretty decent. Sadly, we moved before the new indoor range was opened. :( The outdoor range wasn't fancy or anything but if you were down there on a week day and nobody else was around, no problem. They just trusted the shooters not to manage to shoot themselves and as far as I know, there was never an accident at the Minot range either. It was a fairly large range with a pistol pit, 100 yard rifle/handgun range and a rifle range with old oxygen tanks for gongs all the way out to 800 yards. It was open enough that if you wanted to fire on the move, it was no problem. There were no silly rules about so many rounds per second, having to have 2 shooters out there or anything else like I've seen down here and Big Brother was NOT keeping an eye on you through a camera. :eek:
So now that I've described the two bases we've been stationed at, Minot AFB and Eglin AFB, and the ranges that are available to shooters, here's my question. With both the wife and I planning on making the military a permenant thing (she's active and I'm a reservist) we are going to get shipped around a lot to different bases and we want to know what ranges are located next to the various Air Force bases and what kind of rules they have. In other words, where do we want to get stationed after this place?

USP45usp

Holloman AFB (NM): Go to Boles Acres into the hills/canyons. Just don't go so far that you get into dog canyon because you will get nailed/arrested.

Moody AFB (GA): Go to the river in Lakeland (and if you do get stationed there, Lakeland is cheaper than Valdosta to live but you don't have all the "big city" perks).

Mountain Home AFB (ID): Just go on the other side of town (towns on one side, the desert is on the other) and just take one of the paths there.

Griffiss is closed now so that doesn't count but then again it's in NY.

All of these states have shall issue (I believe) with NM and GA being a bit asinine about their places you can't carry) while ID is very gun friendly (and has Class III shops :D ).

Wayne

Foxy

AFAIK, Wright-Patterson doesn't allow private firearms on the base firing range. There is a Rod & Gun Club, which does skeet shooting, but there's also a firing range in the middle of Area B. I never hear anything being shot there, and I haven't found anyone who knows if you are allowed to bring privately owned guns there.

The nearest indoor range that I've found is down in Cincinnati, which is about an hour's drive from WPAFB.

bill k

"Why not Minot", it's too fricking cold. Beale AFB, CA has a base pistol range and skeet range that I know is open to everyone. Just off base is a 300 yard uncontrolled range, 30 miles north is an uncontrolled 5oo yard range. They have black powder and archery deer hunts on base, bird hunting on base both pheasent, duck, quail, turkey, and geese.
You have to jump through hoops to be able to hunt their, but it's worth it.

USMCGrunt

Thanks for the advice about Beale but we've already decided California's (as well as a few other states) anti-gun laws aren't something we are going to deal with and are off the duty station dream sheet.

SSgt Aston

The range on Laughlin AFB (Texas) is open to the public on every third saturday of the month, and the range off base is hard to find, completely uncontrolled, in the middle of nowhere, but it only costs $50 a year to shoot there any time you want, whether it be the middle of the day or night.

There's also a pretty nice range in San Antonio, don't remember what it's called just remember where it's at. Not sure what the rule for private weapons on the bases up there is though.

Larry C.

Barksdale AFB in NW La.

USMCGrunt,

Barksdale AFB in Bossier City, La. (adjacent to larger Shreveport,La.) has at least two choices for nearby shooting ranges. 1st: Shooters USA an indoor range in Bossier City (where I live).
2nd: Bodcau State Park north of Bossier City has a free range-when it's open!
Also, If you plan on being stationed there for a while, consider the Caddo Rifle & Pistol Club. It's private and located adjacent to Clark Custom Guns in nearby Princeton,La. There you might have the opportunity to watch Jerry Miculek! Happy,safe shooting!

Respectfully,
Larry C. :)

Not military myself but if you get stationed at Andrews A.F.B. or Boling (I think A.F.B.) near D.C. then you can go to the marines Quantico Va. range. They have a lot of rules too but they have 1000 yd range and a couple of 300 yd ranges. Their pistol range is indoors. Let civies like me shoot there too (with membership or something, dunno I was a guest).

P.S. live on the Va. side of the Potomac r.. Md gun laws suck.