Ranger's Last Call

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Carl L. Davis, age 63, died Monday, February 8, 1999 at his home in New Braunfels, Texas. Carl's user name on The Firing Line was "Ranger".

Special Texas Ranger Carl Davis was born in Texas on July 29, 1935. As a young man, Carl worked in Texas oil fields. Later he served five years as a U. S. Marine, first with an artillery unit, then on special security duty at U. S. Embassys in Italy and elsewhere in Europe.

Honorably discharged from the military, Carl joined the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS). As a State Trooper, Carl served at many different locations throughout Texas and "broke in" seventeen rookies - a testament to his extraordinary expertise as a trainer and mentor. Carl retired from DPS after 21 years with the title of Special Texas Ranger, to settle in the New Braunfels area.

Carl served five years with the Comal County Sheriff's Department. As a Deputy, he assumed additional duties as a highly experienced trainer and firearms instructor for the Department.

Carl then retired from law enforcement to open "Mission Hill Handgun Range and School". His "Do it right or don't do it" expertise with handguns and as a firearms instructor quickly earned him, and his school, the reputation as the premier firearms instruction site in Central and Southern Texas.

He, and the instructors he trained, taught Concealed Handgun License (and renewal) classes and a privately developed "Advanced Course". Carl also adapted some British SAS methods and doctrine to create what he called, "The Trident System" which was taught only to personnel who passed stringent background investigations.

Carl Davis is survived by his wife, Martha Davis, and three sons: Douglas Athas, his wife, Robyn, and their son, William Shea Athas. Howard Athas, his wife, Subrina, and their daughter, Kori Rose Athas. Carl Dwight Davis, and his wife, Frieda.

Funeral arrangements are being scheduled for Saturday, February 13, 1999, in New Braunfels, Texas.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited 02-09-99).]

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
Carl Davis did not participate in formal competition - which is our loss. I have watched repeatedly as Carl would draw a handgun from concealment and fire four shots into the center mass of each of three silhouette targets within three seconds. People outside his indoor range frequently asked whether someone was using a full-auto firearm. Carl was that fast with a Glock Model 17.

At the end of every class, Carl would give each student a blank sheet of paper. He would state that no class is perfect and ask for ideas and suggestions to improve his course. These critiques did not need to be signed (but usually were). Students who had attended larger, more expensive, and longer classes unanimously agreed that they learned more, quicker, from Carl.

Carl Davis employed me, part-time, as an instructor but he remained always my instructor, my mentor, and my greatest friend. I will miss him immeasurably.

I don't do this Often for out of state LEOs but starting today undil friday the Black Tape goes on My Badge.
I think we lost a lot. My condolences to his Family.

[This message has been edited by Raymond VanDerLinden (edited 02-09-99).]

[This message has been edited by Raymond VanDerLinden (edited 02-09-99).]

Jeff Thomas

Dennis, my heartfelt condolences as well to you and Carl's family. It certainly sounds as though you were very fortunate to have known the man. I went back on a search to review Carl's posts, and he was very unselfish, professional and kind with his advice.

It is people such as Carl who have drawn me, and I am sure many others, to TFL. Because of fine men like Carl, I am wiser and better equipped to protect my family and myself, and there is very little I can be more thankful for. Best wishes.

Bushwhacker

Let's all have a moment of silence for Ranger Davis and my deepest condolances to the family.

------------------
Justice for one,Justice for all.

Dennis-
Ranger's passing is a loss to the entire shooting community. Teachers and trainers hold a special place. I, too, went back to look at his few posts here. I regret that he was only on our site for a few short weeks. Deepest regrets.
Rich Lucibella

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 02-09-99).]

Walt Welch

'One riot, one Ranger.' Sorry I never got the chance to meet you, Ranger Davis, but at least I know the afterlife will be free of disturbance now. Give my regards to all the other great shooters up there. Walt

Dennis

Staff Emeritus
For the Davis family, thank you for your kind thoughts and condolences.

Carl's funeral is today. I will print this thread and present it to Mrs. Davis.

Thanks, folks.
Dennis