Range use...

blades67

Does anyone here, besides myself, go to the range on bad weather days? I live in Arizona so I don't get many rainy days, but I like to get out to the range to practice if I can. About all I get to practice in usually is high heat.

Ledbetter

I went once in the pouring rain

I had just bought a used Springfield Mil-Spec and waited for a break in the weather to shoot it. Weather broke, drove an hour to a range in the National Forest and it was raining cats and dogs by the time I got there.

Well, I ran about 5 magazines of ammo through the pistol with water splashing all over it. It was kind of a gas. The pistol was totally reliable, torture tested even. Went home and totally stripped it and the mag to little bitty bits and had a ball oiling it and reassembling it.

You might be a gun nut if . . . .

Regards.

Sub MOA

If you don't shoot in the rain in my part of the country, you don't get to do much shooting 9 months out of the year. Seriously.

Sub

Ronbaci

We teach our cadets outdoors, all year long, rain, shine, whatever. Makes no difference. The only times we don't shoot is when there is a lightning storm and when the wind keeps blowing the targets off the frames! The bad guys don't care what the weather is and neither should you!

I like shooting during hurricanes. If I can hold steady during 90 mile an hour winds, then a shoot out on a nice spring day should be a "breeze". Hail storms are okay but hard on the gun finish (and your head). I lost a very expensive custom 1911 shooting bowling pins during a tornado. Last I heard the gun was seen flying somewhere over Nebraska. Blizzards are great for my P7 since the gun gets so hot and the cool snow really helps. I try to be an one with nature and invite any conditions and you must try the same, "grasshopper"....

KSFreeman

don't, you're not shooting while standing on one leg on the Santa Monica Pier or something? (When you can snatch the .45 acp cartridge from hand you may leave the temple).

You should shoot in all weather and at night. You won't be able to pick the weather or light for the fight!

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
Greeting's All;

Hey blades67, here in Alabama you learn to love those rainy range day's; due to the extreme heat
and high humidity. On these day's I only shoot
my S&W stainless revolver's; cuz I don't want
to drag those blue Sig's out into the inclimate
weather, unless of course it's a life or death
situation or for personal protection.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

nwgunman

As sub MOA said, it rains a lot up here, and not just in the winter. The worst thing for me is all the scuba gear you need to find the brass. Seriously though, you should shoot in all kinds of weather. You never know when you may really need to. Stay safe.

P

PreserveFreedom

Shooting in the rain isn't that bad of an idea. Unfortunately, we can't always choose the circumstances in which we have to defend ourselves. That makes me think that it would be a good idea to be used to doing it in all conditions.

WESHOOT2

DON'T BE SISSIES.....

Yesterday (that would be Sunday June 24) we shot a 12 stage/201-rd IPSC match.
It rained Friday (the match was set up Friday), it rained Saturday (the match draws enough shooters that two days are needed to accomodate us all), and it rained yesterday on the way there.

It DID stop when we started (8:30 AM), but the mud was so deep on two stages that great care while moving was required.

HOW DEEP?

Over my ankles.

WAS IT FUN?

Way fun.

WAS IT VALID?

Can't pick your time; know what I mean?

(You should see our 'snow matches'.)

----------------------------------------------------

"all my handguns are competition handguns"