Range Trip

Slowhand

KimberSuperCarryProRtSideNbrsot.jpg

It’s a rainy day in South Carolina, with over cast skies in between and a bit dreary. So it’s off to the indoor gun range. I packed up the Kimber Custom Shop, Super Cary PRO, 1911, .45 ACP. When I got to the range I bought an extra magazine for the .45 caliber.

I ran 50 rounds of Atlanta Arms ammunition through the Kimber,. .45 ACP, 230 grains TCJ at $19.00 for a box of 50 isn’t that bad. They all ran through, without any problems. The grip and sights on her are great. Next time out I’m going to upgrade the ammo. I wanted to see how the gun would take the range stuff.

I’ve fired some heavy ammunition before so the 230 grains going through a 4 inch barrel were not that bad. Compared to a .44 Rem. Mag , at 240 grains going through a 2 ½ inch barrel. But the 4.0 – 5.0 lbs Trigger pull is something to watch out for in dealing with the recoil. It’s pretty easy to have an unintended round go off.

GalcoAvengerHolsterKimber19114in.jpg

Afterwards I decided to buy a holster for the Kimber. I found a Galco AV266 Avenger Holster 1911, for Kimber 4”, a belt holster, OWB. Over priced but worth owning. I picked up 20 round box of Hornady Critical Defense ammunition. It’s 45 Auto, 185 grains FTX and comes out the nuzzle at 1000fps, drops to 936 at 50 yards and 883 at 100 yards. Up close and person at 7-15 yards it ought to be moving along.

So it was a good hour spent at the range. I’ll be glad when the new range at Palmetto State Armory opens in June, just a couple of miles down the road from my house.

Slowhand

Back to the Range Today

When it comes to the Kimber Carry Pro, she is a winner. Today, I ran 50 Remington UMC 45 Auto 185 Grain and 50 Independence 45 Auto 230 gr. FMJ though. No problems noted, that 150 total so far with mixed grade ammunition.

I have a box of l Hornady CR Defense 45 ACP 185 FTX that I plan on using. I will put a 100 or so down range first. I normally carry either Hornady or Speer Gold Dots in all my handguns. Once she has been checked out she will take a place in the lineup and get carried.

I’ve been carrying concealed for a few decades or so now and have always found that range ammunition and self defense ammunition are two separate things.

I'm not cheap, but I'm not easy either. I took along a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22LR. I ran 50 rounds of Remington 22 Thunderbolt and 150 rounds of Federal Champion 36 Grain, hollow points out of a 525 Round Value Pack.

She's been running on a strict diet of CCI Mini-Mags for the last 3 years and only lately has decided to come down off her high horse. Years back had I dared to run either the Remington’s or the Federals through, she would have turned into a single shot.

Slowhand

Do Some Research

2-17-12RangeTrip1.jpg

Do some research first and get familiar with which ever one you might want to buy. One thing to consider is the ease of disassembly and even more important re-assembly. :D

The Kimber I have, has a rather funny little take down tool that looks like a paper clip. You have to poke it into a hole in the recoil spring guide rod to begin dis-assembly of the weapon. This creates some problems in dealing with the spring pressure during re-assembly in my opinion. It's also a small problem to get it back out afterwards. This so far is the only Con it what is a great shooter. Kimber should have gone with a more conventional way of dealing with the spring assembly. Just my opinion of course I'm hardly a design engineer.

I've fired several 1911s over the years but have never owned one until now. I own a stack of pistols and revolvers and have worked on some that were rather unique in their design. It took me a couple of days, some research and a trip to see some 1911 Guys I know for some hands on training to get the insight on how to get the weapon apart and put it back together. After a half dozen times it's rather simple now.

Thanks for the response.