Range trip over- storage of powder in flask?

jmstr

Hello,

Just completed first range trip with BP firearms- it was fun, but a lot of work.

Don't know when I'll get out again- probably months from now.

I live in an area generally known for summer dryness and heat [bakersfield, ca].

I have powder in two different flasks.

Should I return the powder to the original container?

Or, is it safe to leave in the flask for the 'next' range trip?

thank you

Pahoo

original containers where it is clearly identifiable.

Don't know when I'll get out again- probably months from now.
Well, kind of depends just how much time you are looking at. What kind of flasks are your referring to and are you talking about "real" BP or replacement?
Are you referring reliability or general safety?

You can avoid any possible issues, by putting it back in the original containers where it is clearly identifiable. …… :rolleyes:

I have purchased Horn and metal flasks from widows and over the internet that were full of "real" BP. I was also given a 15-LB keg of BP, just to get it out of the house. I won't ply down the fact that BP is an explosive. …… :confused:

Be Safe !!!

jmstr

Triple 7 is the substance.

The flasks are old metal ones, with brass tops that are both threaded onto the flask and have small set screws on them as well.

Both are the same pattern, and I am guessing they are copper with an antique finish on it.

One has a metered spout that moves in/out, and the other is a pour spout with a thumb lever to open a the door under the spout.

They were part of a lot of older blackpowder stuff I was given.

Thanks for any/all info. I am a newbie- so I appreciate it all.

Pahoo

Metal flasks and horns, do shine

They were part of a lot of older blackpowder stuff I was given.
I have a modest collection of horns and metal flasks. They sure are nice to look at, along with my SideLocks. I use them in the field and when I'm done, pour the propellant back in the original container. The metal flasks are not weather sealed. and my horns only slightly better as I take steps to seal them. The 777 will draw moisture and a little really won't hurt. These accessories are very fogiving but safety is always a priority. …… :)

Be Safe !!!

As far as my use. I rather return them to there containers after a shooting secession. Reason being my horns share two different powders. Home Made and Gorex. I see little benefit in a accidental mix.

Hellgate

The flasks are not air tight. Low humidity is good. Moisture seems to be the culprit. 777 is less clumpy than the other subs like Black MZ, APP, etc. I would still put it back into the 777 bottle.

Pahoo

No need to set this trap.

Once powder goes in my flask, it never comes out again until it goes in a gun.
Then there are times when they are sold and shipped via USPS. As I've replied before, I have a modest collection of both and have received three that were full of BP. I can always tell it's BP by the smell. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!