Range Test: Super Glide Sabots

P-990

Got to the range today to try out some new components in my TC ProHunter Katahdin. What I really wanted to see was how easily the new TC Super Glide sabot loads versus Powerbelts and regular sabots.

First note; these load WAY, WAY easier than standard sabots. Not as easily as Powerbelts (I feel those load a mite too-easy), but you don't have to ram them home with both hands either.

Second note; these shoot wicked well. After a fouling shot, I got a one-hole three-shot group at 50-yards. I was using 85gr of Goex FFg and a Remington 209 Kleanbore primer. I actually thought I had missed with one shot until I went downrange and took a closer look! :eek:

Needless to say, I'm impressed. My 100-yard group wasn't as good MOA-wise: about 2.5-3" or so, won't know for sure until I put a ruler on it. Still not bad though, and adequate for what I need to do with that rifle.

On another note: I think fiber-optic sights are great for low-light, fast-shooting needs, but they lack a little in bright sunlight and fine-target acquisition IMO. I'm not swapping the fiber-optic-and-peep off of my Katahdin though, because it does work well for its intended purpose.

And a final note: TC's Flex-Tech stock is amazing. I know that even at only 85gr of powder that that muzzleloader is churning up recoil in 12ga trap load territory. But at 20 shots, I feel fine. After 20 shots with my wood-stocked 870, I'm beginning to feel it a little. (Not bad, but you know what I mean.) I hope other manufactures follow this lead somehow. Sure, it's kinda odd looking and funky, but it WORKS!!

Blackhawk Bob

Similar experience with the Super Glides out of my Traditions Pursuit LT, that being they're way easier to load than the Barnes tipped MZ's I normally use, but not quite as accurate at 100 yds. The Barnes I can keep under 2", but more like 4" with the SG's. Haven't tried them on deer yet, which is where the Barnes really have shined for me.

Wild Bill Bucks

I can't find the super glide sabots, for sale anywhere, without having to buy the bullet and sabot combo. Do any of you guys know where you might be able to buy just the sabots, without the bullet?

Cabelas says they do not sell them in bulk, and Thompson says they are made for them by Hornady, and Hornady says they were just made for Thompson, in the special packs for Cabela's.

Sounds like I'm getting the old run around. I'd like to get some, but I can't see paying 3 times for them in a pack of 30, when you can load your own, and get 50 for the same money. I'd rather shoot the XTP bullet from Hornady in them, if I can buy the sabots.

Ok call me cheap.:(