Range safety - hard target safety

WVfishguy

Is it just me, or is shooting hard, breakable targets at an outdoor range a bad idea?

The last time I went shooting, I asked a group shooting next to me not to use large, stoneware coffee mugs as targets. Their targets (mugs) were only about 18 feet away from me, and I was concerned about shrapnel from shattered stoneware and/or ricocheting slugs.

The same group was shooting bowling trophies with .22s and birdshot, and this concerned me as well.

The gun club I belong to has several outdoor ranges. Range rules are currently unenforceable simply because the the club's BOD has "put on hold" any range rules, and have not got around to establishing range rules. I believe this is because the directors are elderly, and simply don't have the energy or desire to work up safety requirements.

Obviously, a new set of Board members needs to take charge, but I'm unable to get involved because of health and business problems (maybe next year.)

Anyway, am I being paranoid, or should I insist on targets like paper, balloons, or other soft materials?

Dannyl

You are not paranoid.
Any items that shatter violently like ceramic mugs will send shards flying pretty much like a grenade, and 18' is way too close for it to be safe.

Steel plates (very small ones) could be shot at from 10M (30') but I would not chance it any closer.

IMO, if there is no way for you to ensure this does not happen near you, find another range. IF this is not possible, then at least dont stand too close when
People are shooting at stuff like that.

Balloons on the other hand are safe and lots of fun.

I use (fist size) water balloons for my son (just turned 11, started shooting from 8 YO) at 50M (.22 rifle)and air filled balloos (head size) at 100M. This is especially tricky if there is a bit of wind, and it helps teach the finer points of shooting, with a lot of fun added.

Brgds,

Danny