Range rules question?

1911Alaska

My buddy was telling me that at the Rabbit Creek Shooting Range in Anchorage that they will not let you shoot you gun with more then 10 rounds in the magazine. No matter whether or not its a pistol or rifle.

Why is this? As far as I am aware this is the only range like this in Alaska and they do not have lines so being courteous so other member's get the chance to shoot is not the reason.

kraigwy

I don't know how it is at Rabbit Creek now, but when it first opened it was run by a guy named Don Alexander. Don't know if he's still around, he was quite old then (that was the 70s).

Anyway Rabbit Creek use to be against any sort of movement, drawing, using silhouette targets............any thing like that. They wanted to stay away from the image if you know what I mean.

It was pretty much the same when I left Anchorage in '94.

I tried for a long time to get their ideals changed without luck.

Anyway, you'd be better off going to Birchwood. If you want to set at a bench and zero all day, Rabbit Creek is OK. Other then that you're out of luck unless things have changed a lot, which, judging from your post, it hasn't.

Birchwood is more "shooter friendly" and have better ranges.

1911Alaska

I took a shooting class last week at Birchwood and I really liked it there. I live in the Kenai area so I go to the Snowshoe club. I love that place and recommend it to everyone in the area. I just don't understand why Rabbit Creek would make such rules. They seem ridiculous to me but I am sure they have there reasoning.

Skans

Maybe they cater to bench-rest folks. Personally, I won't go to ranges that won't permit rapid fire, full-auto fire, and/or have stupid restrictions like how many rounds you can have in a magazine. But, if I ever take up bench-rest shooting, I might change my mind.

Al Den

I have experience enforcing and guiding this elsewhere. It was "safety." I'm only speaking rifles here. .22's could load up to 10 rounds but centerfire were limited ultimately to one round. It was a fairly ignorant rule which I changed permanently when empowered to do so. The thought was initially that fewer rounds were safer because the dangerous high-pwered round could be controlled more with fewer loaded.

It was a naive correlation, sorta like the one-gun-a-month or ten-round magazine laws -- an arbitrary lowered number makes one safer. To be fair, it DID make people count how many rounds they loaded and had fired so maximum limits did have some practical effect. And yahoos are everywhere. But it was also poor service to our average shooters and as this was an official, uniformed, function and difficult to explain to essentially anti-gun top leadership, change was slow and painful. We had our general orders.

I never did get more than ten-rounds allowed except when we permitted "testing" of magazines to their full capacity with "oversight."

This improvement, believe it or not, was an uphill battle and a good compromise as we allowed timed, slow and rapid fire but not what civilians would think of as spray-n-pray speed except in practical course and competitive shooting which operated at a whole other level, with marksmen, than the usual participant was involved in.

PS: we had benchrest types. We put distance between them and the typical shooter and gave them alot of latitude. Such known-to-us serious shooters often took one shot every 20 minutes, might clean their gun between rounds, and we even let them keep their hefty guns nestled on the benches pointed down range (bolts out, unloaded, cleaning rods down the bore) while folks went downrange to check and hang targets.

Last edited:

FiveInADime

I have experience enforcing and guiding this elsewhere. It was "safety." I'm only speaking rifles here. .22's could load up to 10 rounds but centerfire were limited ultimately to one round. It was a fairly ignorant rule which I changed permanently when empowered to do so. The thought was initially that fewer rounds were safer because the dangerous high-pwered round could be controlled more with fewer loaded.

It was a naive correlation, sorta like the one-gun-a-month or ten-round magazine laws -- an arbitrary lowered number makes one safer. To be fair, it DID make people count how many rounds they loaded and had fired so maximum limits did have some practical effect. And yahoos are everywhere. But it was also poor service to our average shooters and as this was an official, uniformed, function and difficult to explain to essentially anti-gun top leadership, change was slow and painful. We had our general orders.

I never did get more than ten-rounds allowed except when we permitted "testing" of magazines to their full capacity with "oversight."

This improvement, believe it or not, was an uphill battle and a good compromise as we allowed timed, slow and rapid fire but not what civilians would think of as spray-n-pray speed except in practical course and competitive shooting which operated at a whole other level, with marksmen, than the usual participant was involved in.

PS: we had benchrest types. We put distance between them and the typical shooter and gave them alot of latitude. Such known-to-us serious shooters often took one shot every 20 minutes, might clean their gun between rounds, and we even let them keep their hefty guns nestled on the benches pointed down range (bolts out, unloaded, cleaning rods down the bore) while folks went downrange to check and hang targets.

This would be quite a culture shock for me to shoot at a range like this. Here in Arizona, our largest public range (the largest in the Country as far as I know) Ben Avery Shooting Facility is very large, with strict safety rules, and there is no way rules like limiting magazine capacity would fly. All the guns stay on the shooting tables during breaks. They have to be left with the actions open and pointed down-range during break and the range officers check every table before clearing the line. Tables are off limits except during live-fire.

The bench-rest guys have to put up with the guys shooting AK-47s in the next lane. They don't let the knuckleheads get too out of hand with rapid fire and they make sure that people are staying on their target frames, at least.

They do a good job keeping everyone safe while letting people shoot how they like. You can shoot standing or prone if you like and the main range goes out to 200 yards. I think it's a great model for a large public range.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk

Rifleman1776

Get real. To ask "why" is an exercise in frustration.
Anybody who has been around a gun club or range knows there is always a large contingent of old curmudgeons who believe they know best what is best for everyone. Logic and facts are not part of the equation.
I agree, such a rule is stupid. My former club prohibited wearing of camoflage. Go figger.

Al Den

Camouflage is considered to be low class by many, and if a private club is trying to maintain an upper-class culture it is a given. Another rule people often dislike is banned human-silhouette targets. Those are often considered inapropriate too.

Sorry. There're arguments...

Amsdorf

Range rules really do vary from place to place, don't they?

I've got a buddy who shoots an indoor range that has a rule that he has to buy the .223 ammo he shoots, FROM THEM, or else he can't shoot his AR.

I told him to find another range.

Rip off artists.

Al Den

No, they are not ripoff artists necessarily. They want to control what goes down range, i.e. SS109 Penetrator ammo against their hardened steel backstops that would get damaged. Dents create "hot-spots" that cause ricochetts back at the shooters...

Did your friend ask? Why jump to conclusions!? I may be wrong but I'm guessing they have limits on the caliber of rifles used in their indoor range as well as ban on armor piercing bullets.

You might need to tell your friend to thank them for saving his life instead.