Range Review: Sig Mosquito

shooter_john

I have been wanting a "normal" ( similar to other caliber guns, not weird space shipish) 22lr pistol, mainly as a cheap to shoot training tool for larger caliber service weapons. I researched the Mosquito quite a bit as is very similar to the other Sig's, and asked around, and my local shop had been getting good reviews on it. So I picked one up at the Gun Show last weekend, and here are my findings:

1st Range session: Lightly lubed gun and loaded it up, straight out of box. I have about 5000 rds of CCI Blazer on hand, so that is what I had. Mosquito had several feeding issues, didn't get a full magazine out of without a FTF or FTE:mad: and was very frustrated with my new toy.:barf: I pressed on and put about 500 rounds through it, and found that supporting the magazine helped.
The pistol is also shipped with 2 different weight recoil springs, so I changed that also. This helped a little more, but did not completely solve the problem.

2nd Range Session: After first day, I broke the pistol down and cleaned/ lubed it. Went back to range with Blazers as well as a few CCI Stingers. I fired 4 magazines of Stingers, and the Mosquito LOVED them, never stuttering once!:D Still had a few issues with the Blazers, though not nearly as bad, and a friend had a bulk box Remington Golden Bullet's, and did pretty well, with only a couple of FTF's. But I left the range feeling a lot better about my purchase, and a lot of my friend's were jealous to boot.

Conclusion: I am happy with the Mosquito, and would recommend it for a fun 22 plinker. I found that it shot nice groups, all the way out to 25 yards (3-4" groups, rapid fire). I wish it did a little better with cheap ammo, but it does what I need it to in the end.

timothy75

I wouldnt be happy with it but I'm glad you are. I wanted one untill I found out its a small frame with a bad trigger and yellow sights. Also yours might need some more breaking in and maybe it will run fine.

Pappy John

Concening your "out of the box" jams...

New guns.....almost all new guns....come from the factory with a coating of rust preventative oil. It works well for stopping corrosion while sitting on a store shelf, but was never really designed to be a lubricant. You should clean them thoroughly and use a good lubricant on the friction surfaces BEFORE firing. This should also get rid of any dirt or machining chips that got into the action during manufacture. It will save a lot of grief at the range and give you a truer picture of the guns performance capabilities.

Also semi-autos usually require a bit of break-in to function well and the rimfires can be pretty picky about what brands and speeds of ammo they like to eat. The only way to find out what yours will like is to try several. Even with two seemingly identical guns, one of them might work better with one brand over another.

I hope you enjoy your new Sig. It sounds like it's grouping very well. Nothing beats a good .22 pistol for good cheap fun and improving your shooting fundamentals by allowing lots of low cost practice.

Oh yeah, John. I just got home from a ten day trip to Alabama, visiting our daughter. Our first visit to the Deep South. It was beautiful, but y'all gotta do something about them fire ants. Day-um!!!