Range report

ChuckC

As always it was a blast, so to speak. Arms taken, 9mm, .45, Mini 14, the new HSA 15 (AR type), my tried and true SKS and the new 12 gauge. The 9mm had a double stack of silver tips and lived on my hip and wasn't fired.

The new .45 really impressed me. We both could put rounds on the target at 75 yards. The 12 ga was good out to about 50 yards. I'm sure its good at further ranges I just didn't try beyond 50 but will my next trip out.

The new AR is fantastic!! I should give a brief description here. It's a High Standard, flat top with a screaming cheap Tasco variable zoom scope (I want a Nikon...but could afford that just now). It has a telescoping stock, which is interesting. It only took about 4 5 round sets to sight the scope in and once it was set I could keep the larger groups 15+ in about 3 inches even in the wind. What impressed me most was the recoil and the short time to get back on target.

To compare the AR to the Mini would be like comparing apples and oranges. This was the third trip out with the Mini (open sights) and I still enjoy firing it. This was the first time out with the AR, and I'm sure there are still things to learn about it but first impression is WOW! Other than a better scope and a good sling I don't see adding much more to it, but suggestions are welcome.