Range report, Tikka T3 Lite

wyobohunter

Haven't done anything to this rifle but mount a Leupold 3-9 x 33mm Ultralight scope w/Talley ring/base combo. This is a "work up" load, things should only improve from here.

See reloading manuals to find your own loads, if you look at Hodgdon Data this is ≈91.5% of maximum...
Shot through Shooting Chrony Alpha Master at 50 yds.

Rifle-Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 Springfield Left Hand
Case-Remington (2.490")
Primer-CCI 200
Bullet-Hornady Interlock SST (.475 B.C.)
Powder/grs.-H4350/54grs
C.O.L- 3.325
Shot string-9 shots
Average Velocity- 2599
Extreme Spread-108 (high due to short C.O.L on 1 cart.?)
Std Dev.-75.36
M.O.A-1.535
Notes- 1st shot C.O.L was a little long due to setting up dies, let barrel cool a few minutes between each shot, cleaned barrel every 3 shots, no signs of over pressure will work up in powder charge from here.
Shots taken from bench, Harris Bipod on fore, rolled up jacket at rear.

Last edited:

wyobohunter

1.535"

My 50 yd groups averaged .7675", or 1.535 M.O.A. Biggest group was about .875", small group was .56". I took the targets home and measured groups with may calipers. I'd say these are acceptable groups for just starting to work up a load. If I get a few replies of interest I'll post an update next time I get to the range.

sholling

I think you have a ways to go on that load. I get much better groups than that from my T3 lite in 300WM using commercial hunting ammo. 1.5" @ 200m.

Good luck with it!

wyobohunter

yes I do

I think what threw me off was a combination of two things: the first shot I took was a flinger... The bullet was seated deeper than the others because I made too big of an adjustment when setting up my seating die. 2 : Operator error. What were you using to get those groups? Shooting vice, sandbags? I'm sure that the rifle would produce better groups if there was no operator error involved. Because of this I'll pay closer attention to the Chrony for consistency than the calipers for grouping (so long as the groups don't grow:eek:) when working up. More consistant velocity (smaller extreme spread and standard deviation) is what I'm really after. I'd like to lock the rifle down once I get the consistancy down, just to see what it'll do. In the long run (after eliminating the possibility of equipment flaws) it will be up to the shooter to not disapoint the rifle:rolleyes: