Range Report - Taurus Titanium 850 CIA

alamo

Finally made it to the range with the Titanium 850 CIA I bought last month. I sent it back to Taurus before even shooting it because it was so tight, the forcing cone was touching the cylinder face and was scraping against it when opening and closing the cylinder. This also caused the trigger to lock up several times. It came back all fixed up and with a very smooth trigger as I found when dry firing it.

I shot 75 rounds of .38 special. This revolver is .38/.38+P, no .357.
The only .38+P I had on hand was Federal Nyclad and since they're not making it anymore, I didn't shoot any +P this time.

The trigger was very smooth in practice and recoil was very manageable. The ported barrel really does reduce muzzle flip. I had a S&W 642 8 years ago and the recoil on the Taurus is a fair amount easier to handle due to the porting. The 850 CIA looks almost exactly like S&W 442/642 as far as I can tell. I could see a brief flash from the ports as I fired but it did not interfere in any way, was not blinding although I obviously wasn't shooting in the dark.

I haven't shot any of my revolvers in awhile but I surprised myself with my accuracy. I moved the target out to 45 feet and had some decent groups, for me anyway. I didn't stage the trigger, just pulled it smoothly. It was easy to keep it on target. I had done a bit a dry firing before hand and that helped.

Very pleased with this revolver. It is light (16 ounces) but very manageable to somone who doesn't get to shoot as often as I need/want to. THis is my first Taurus, revolver or otherwise. I have 4 S&W revolvers also - 60, 66, 65 LS and 686.

Here it is:

http://www.taurususa.com/titanium/m850t.html

Kentucky Rifle

Alamo...

Very nice looking revolver. And a good review also. As you know, Nancy is quite happy with her blue Taurus Total Ti .38 Special.
Looks to me like you've got a winner on your hands!

Kentucky Rifle

E357

I'm a long time S&W revolver person, however the Taurus "J" frame sized guns have got to be the greatest bargains in the USED handgun business. The porting works great on the ultra-light weight guns and the blue steel weapons are very smooth.

It does seem that the barrel is set back a little far on a number of the titanium guns. This is a simple fix, if your not scared of using a file on your gun. Taurus also has that no BS, any age, any owner repair policy.

good luck

Elliot

alamo

I would have filed it myself but the owners manual said for titanium guns, not to use anything abrasive on the cylinder face or any other part of the revolver as it can remove the protective layer and greatly reduce the life of the cylinder/revolver. I figured the cylinder face scraping across the forcing cone was pretty abrasive so I wanted them to take a look at it. The cylinder face had gotten scratched up when I opened & closed the cylinder and dry fired it.

E357

Alamo,
sorry I wasn't clear enough.

The rear end of the barrel is one of the only places on the gun that you can take a file to. The barrel is actually a STEEL liner set into the titaniun shroud or frame. You would file the rear of the barrel (forcing cone area) NEVER the cylinder itself. But sending it back to Taurus works also.

I have a gold colored Titanium to which I added a pair of wood stocks with the golden Taurus logo and it looks stunning. If I told you what I paid for it - you would just cry. The prior owner said the gun was a POS because the cylinder did not turn freely - sound familiar.

Elliot

Last edited:

alamo

I had understood you. I was just concerned about the cylinder face & this protective layer business. Since it had gotten scratched up by the forcing cone I was concerned about the caution in the owners manual about the cylinder life being greatly reduced. If using something abrasive on it would remove the layer, I'm sure a forcing cone scratching the cylinder face would remove it too. That's why I sent it in as it had gotten scratched up by opening and closing the cylinder and dry firing.

Kentucky Rifle

Alamo...

Tell 'em how long it took your Taurus to be returned to you after overnigting it to the factory in Florida. (For the beneft of the people who think Taurus keeps your weapon forever when you must send it in for repair.)
It took Taurus less than a week to send me a new pistol! How about YOUR repairs? How long?

KR

alamo

I sent it off on a Monday and they shipped it out overnight on Friday, that is quick! They enclosed the target that they tested 5 rounds with, nice group too.
I am very pleased with this revolver, particularly the trigger and couldn't ask more from Taurus customer service.

DDGator

Model 85 Police

I recently bought a Model 85 Police -- the ultralight 13 oz. in .38 special. I can't say enough good things about this gun. I shot it again this weekend and shot groups tighter than a DAO snubby should be able to. Great gun. Easily controllable even with +P ammo -- of course mine is ported and that probably helps.