Range report - Steyr SBS Prohunter

Charles Johnson

I took my new Steyr SBS Prohunter 30-06 to the range yesterday for the 1st time :). This rifle shot perfectly. The action was much smoother than my SIG SHR970.

After zeroing the scope, I shot a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I'm sure I'll do better next week when my shoulder is fresh. I joined the rifle club, so next week I'll have access to the 200 yd range :).

JJCII

So do you feel the Steyr is more accurate than your SHR970? I am contemplating buying a SHR970, Tikka Whitetail, or Steyr SBS Pro Hunter.

TIA
JJCII

Mel Trog

Hola, Everyone!

--rather than just a straight comparison of which rifle is more accurate at 100-yards, what do the various rifles cost for the accuracy?

I've seen the SHR-970 synthetic cost from $399.00 to $499.00. I've seen the SBS Prohunter cost $679.00. How about the others?

Mel

Charles Johnson

I do believe the Steyr is more accurate, but I'll have to wait until Saturday to actually compare groups. When I shot the group with the Steyr, I was pretty worn out. Also, I think they are both more accurate than I am.

I paid $500 for the synthetic SHR970 in .308. I paid $600 for the synthetic Steyr in 30-06. My local shop has the SHR970 with walnut stock in 7mm mag for $500 right now. Both the Steyr and 7mm maggie SIG are discounted $50 because hunting season is almost over in FL.