range report, steyr m9, m40

spacemanspiff

I started off with the M40, but I regret not having enough ammo for a good first day with it. I had one box of 180 gr. UMC, and two boxes of 180 gr. Aguila. The first box I consumed was the UMC, and on three rounds, it failed to go into battery. The slide stopped about a half-inch short. This was on the first 3 magazines, but the Aguila fed perfectly without a hitch. FWIW, the UMC had a softer kick than the Aguila. In either case, I am quite pleased with the performance. I also ran one magazine of Winchester 180 gr JHP, as that is what its loaded with at home.

The M9 is a wonderful joy to shoot. I went for economy with Blazer 147 gr, and let it eat 450 rds before the range master had to close down for the day. Reaquiring targets with rapid fire is a breeze, even with my lack of experience. I also realized i can't hit a damn thing shooting lefthanded in an isocoles stance. But one handed on the weak side is easier than I expected. With the proper shoulder alignment, both one handed left, and right hand shots are comfortable and more natural than the isocoles stance. But maybe thats just me.

As far as accuracy, let me preface this with the admission that my skills are quite lacking, and should not be held against Steyr as I still need a lot more experience. With that said, both the M9 and M40 were shooting high and to the left. I still need a lot of practice, and have yet to adjust to the trigger. On several occasions, I was not letting the trigger reset and would end up bewildered when no bang followed a trigger pull. Since I didnt have as much time as I wished, I didnt get a chance to set up the target to varying distances. so at 15 feet, i was able to get a 3 inch group out of ten rounds. That made me happy, although I'm sure most everyone else could do much better than I.

lockandrock

I 'm glad you like the Steyr. I found the M9 to be a blessing with +P load ( GS and Triton ) felt like a bb gun. The sights require a dedicate alignment and once you get use to them the high left will disappear.

I found out with my first outing with the M9 I could easily place a mag worth of ammo in the head of a B27 or 21 target at 25 yards with no problems . The guns are very remarkable and I need to go ahead and get the M9 before the prices get jacked up like what happen to XD or the few steyr CDNN investments has at $339 and $379 ( no night-sights vrs night sights )M9 models.

spacemanspiff

iirc, cdnn bought the entire stock from gsi, which had the trigger upgrades, and were designated to be sold as 'demo' products. that explains the low pricing. so i think we can expect any new shipments that come through the new importer will be at full prices.

sox

I finally got an M9 too. I had an S9, then traded it (need my head examined). They both are fine guns. I like having a safety on a pistol. I think the trigger is quicker than the Glock for fast multiple shots and the ergonomics are better. I really hope Steyr comes back strong. I was bumbed to here GSI was not going to continue to import. I would like to see stronger aftermarket support, as these really are great guns. I had a Walther P99 and it was quick shooting, but rubbed my trigger finger raw on the mag release lever. I noticed two things with the Steyr's. The first is less obvious to the typical shopper, and that is there seems to be a "rougher" parkerized type finish and a smoother "finished" finish. It seems like it is splitting hairs but side by side it is obvious. Secondly, with respect to dimensions. The S9 on paper looks like it would be in the Glock 26 ball park, but it is really the size of the G19!

Cornbread2

Several M-40 pistols have the same problem about not going into battery complety.

They built some with a slightly short recoil spring.

About a 1/16 to a 1/8 inch spacer sometimes will correct this problem.

Sometimes they just have to break in a little.