Range Report - Springfield 9MM EMP

elwaine

Had an opportunity to take my new 9 MM Springfield EMP to the range today. I'll limit this report to my impressions and to a description of how the gun performed during the 250 rounds I put through it. For specifications, please visit Springfield’s website. http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=110

The first consideration, IMO, should be how the gun fits the hand of the shooter. Only by handling the gun can that be determined. Needless to say that it fit my hand very well… similar to the way my Les Baer full size .45 1911 fits… except that the base of the EMP mainspring housing cuts slightly into the base of my hand – unlike the Baer. But that is to be expected on a pistol that is so small. There was no discomfort when firing the gun; and during firing, I was totally unaware of the slightly short backstrap. There is a very well designed extension at the base of the grip saftey and neither I, nor three other shooters (includng 2 women) experienced a single failure to disengage the grip saftey.

The frame to slide fit is nearly as tight as on my Bear. Nearly as tight, but not quite. My Baer has several thousand rounds through it and the slide to frame fit is as tight as the day it arrived, without the slightest amount of wiggle or shake between the two. (Yet the slide is silky smooth.) There is just a hint of (very slight) wiggle between the slide and the frame of the EMP, and while the slide is smooth, it is not the same silky smooth as on the Baer. But I am comparing a $1,100 gun with a $1,800 gun, so I’ll cut the EMP some slack.

The ambidextrous safety engages and disengages with a solid, positive snap… very nice. The crisp trigger is approximately 5 to 5.5 lbs. (judging from the known 4 lb. pull on my Baer). There is zero creep. The trigger stop screw is set perfectly at the factory and there is no over-travel. Springfield has done a truly wonderful job with the trigger on the EMP.

The gun comes with two 9 round magazines manufactured for Springfield by Mec-Gar. They are unique to the EMP and are not interchangeable with other 9 MM magazines that you might own. At first, I was disappointed to discover that there is only one slot in the magazine, corresponding to the 5th round, and there is no way to visually determine when the magazine is fully loaded. However, the magazines load very easily until after the 9th round has been inserted. It then becomes essentially impossible to insert a 10th round. There is no need to count rounds or to look at the magazine while loading. You cannot mistake the point at which the magazine has been fully loaded.

The only ammo I put through the gun, thus far, was 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115 gr., and 50 rounds of WWB 124 gr. bullets. There were no FFT or FTE occurrences. There were two failures to lock open the slide on an empty magazine. The first occurred after round 27, and the second failure occurred after round 54. No further episodes of that failure were experienced. Were they due to a normal break-in, or to limp wrist? I don’t know. My wife fired the third magazine (1st failure), and my girl cousin fired the 6th magazine (2nd failure). I never experienced the failure myself.

How accurate is the EMP? For a 3 inch barrel, is it incredibly accurate! I did not use a bench rest… nor did I rest the gun on anything at all. I used a standard IPSIC 2-hand hold… both thumbs pointing at the target, strong-hand thumb on top of the safety. At 15 yards, I could consistently achieve 1.5” groups… slow fire; and 4” groups during rapid fire of 4 rounds (approximately 2 rounds per second). The performance of this little gun blew me away! OK, so it is not the tack driver that my 5" Baer is, but who wouldn’t be happy with the above performance of the EMP?

Felt recoil was minimal. (I don’t know how to describe it quantitatively.) Muzzle jump was minimal (a little less than my wonderful 9 MM XD Sub Compact, and less than it was with my 9 MM SIG P228), making target acquisition for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds incredibly fast (for me) and easy.

Because of reports of “light strikes,” I collected and examined a total of 18 fired shell cases. Not a light strike among them.

So far, I am very pleased with my EMP. I bought it primarily as a CCW. Here in Southern Florida, where folks wear summer clothing year round, a couple of good 9 MM hollow points is all that is likely necessary to stop a BG. Will I carry the EMP? No. Not after putting through only 250 rounds. I may be a little crazy, but I’m not stupid. But if the EMP continues to perform as above, after 1,000 rounds – and that includes the caveat that it will feed my favorite defense rounds (Cor Bon DPX) – then yes, it will become my every day carry gun.

elwaine

More information

I've been following a thread about the EMP on another forum. It led me to search for additional information. I have not had the opportunity to get back to the range so I still have no first hand knowledge about how my particular EMP will work with my favorite defense loads, but since my initial report was "glowing," I think it only right to let ya'll know what's been going on. First of all, Springfield does not recommend the use of +P ammunition in any of their 1911 models having a barrel length less than 5". (Would any of you have purchased any Springfield 1911 with a barrel less than 5" in length if you knew that prior to purchase?) What follows is my latest post on the "1911 Forum":

It appears that the Springfield 9 mm EMP is one of the more finicky guns on the market. I did a Goolge search using the following parameters: “+P ammo in the Springfiled EMP”. What I’ve learned from other EMP owners is that some experience light primer strikes and others do not; some can feed nearly any standard pressure hollow-points while others can either feed only one or two brands and some cannot feed any hollow-points; and finally, some can use +P ammo – and others cannot. Furthermore, Springfield support has told some quite bizarre stories to owners calling for help. One of the strangest (to me) is that EMP owners can send their guns back to Springfield and the company will “tune” their gun to feed the ammo of their choice. (Does anyone else think that statement is odd?)

One “fix” to the FTF problem, mentioned by many EMP owners, is to carefully polish the feed ramp to a mirror finish. As I planned to do that anyway – even if my particular gun had no apparent problems – I’m going to polish the ramp today, before I try +P hollow-point ammo. I’ll let ya’ll know the results.

My Springfield XD (I know that is a totally different design) came with a polished feed ramp... the EMP did not. That struck me as odd, because the XD is 1/2 the price of the EMP. It takes next to no time to polish a feed ramp, so why not do that routinely in the more expensive gun? I can’t understand such marketing decisions. Due to the different design, the integral feed ramp on the 3” barrel of the XD is shorter and not nearly as steep as the ramp on the EMP, but my XD Sub-Compact eats anything I feed it with no complaints what-so-ever.

I don’t carry a gun for the fun of carrying it. Kimber sub-compact 1911’s can handle hollow-points and +P ammo. I’d personally rather go with Springfield Armory, but as much as I love the EMP, if it cannot handle +P ammo, I’m going to sell it.

This issue needs to be resolved and it deserves to “get out there” so that prospective buyers will be able to make a more informed purchase. As I said, I’ll get back to you with a follow-up report.

DenPro

Just when I think I'm ready to dive into that 1911 pool again I read the guns are once again being "finicky" or having all those issues we are very familiar with. There's break in periods of hundreds of rounds, which is hard for me to understand when so many manufacturing processes in everything from cars, which are considerably more complicated, to other gun designs... are "good right from the get go." I still think 1911s are some of the best guns (if not the best handguns) in the world when working, but after shooting Sigs, Glocks and some of my S&W revolvers that shoot perfectly out of the box, why would I want to go through all those little worries and headaches?

Disclaimer: I know that even Sigs, Glocks, and S&Ws come with problems, but nothing like so many of the new/modern 1911s.

elwaine

after shooting Sigs, Glocks and some of my S&W revolvers that shoot perfectly out of the box, why would I want to go through all those little worries and headaches?
Darn good question. To answer it in a single word: trigger. I am more accurate with a 1911 and can get off a 2nd, third, etc. shot faster with a 1911 than with any other high quality handgun (and I've owned 4 different SIGs in .45, .40, 9mm and .380). No other handgun ever invented has a trigger that can compare to a fine 1911 trigger. Anyone not familiar with a 1911 trigger will not appreciate that and will wonder what all the rave is. But those of us who own a fine, custom 1911 know eaxctly what I'm talking about.

I have a 9mm XD Sub-compact that performes wonderfully and did so right out of the box. I really like that little gun. It is similar, in many respects to the Glock 26 and the SIG P228 in terms of accuracy and reliability. However, the 1911 design is considerably thinner and therefore easier to carry comfortably in a concealed IWB holster. That's why I bought the EMP in the first place.

I have to admit that I get down on the EMP only after reading problems others have had. In addition, I am perfectly comfortable carrying a standard pressure 9mm hollow-point such as the 115 gr. Speer. It is only after reading posts on gun forums, written by the good folks who feel out-gunned with anything less than a .454 Casull, or a 4 lb. anti-tank projectile, that I start to squirm when thinking about my "puny" 9 mm.

Hank's Dad

I appreciate the range report as I bought an EMP 9mm today and was/am looking for a picture and a report.

A long time fan of 1911's, I have had issues with training to sweep off the safety, so most of the time I have used Sigs and revolvers. But I just got a hankerin for another 1911 and bought the EMP. Other .45's will shortly follow...again.

Anyway, thanks again. I know a little bit more of what to expect.

Hank's Dad

Thanks elwaine...

I am hoping to have a good experience with this pistol. As I said earlier, it has been a while since I have had 1911's and I don't want my first trip back to be a bad one. I do have another Springfield on hold at my local "gun haunt". But that one is in .45 acp.

Thanks again.

NWCP

The EMP sells at a premium which would make the reported issues that much more aggravating. There are too many other CCW 9mm compacts and sub-compacts out there at far better prices to mess with a tempermental EMP. It's a good looking gun and I too like the 1911 design, but not enought to spend that much money for a gun that needs so much added effort to make it work right if at all.

elwaine

There are too many other CCW 9mm compacts and sub-compacts out there at far better prices to mess with a tempermental EMP.

I hear you... but here's the thing about the EMP: I have had zero problems with it so far. A few others have reported various problems. As with anything, happy owners rarely get on line to tell you how happy they are - but dissatified customers nearly always report their problems.

I love my Les Baer 1911, but I can direct you to posts of unhappy owners... same is true of Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, HK, SIG, Walther, Glock, etc. You tell me of a gun that you think everyone is pleased with and I'll show you how to do a good internet search.

Hank's Dad

Range Report!!!

I was able to take my EMP to the range today, and although it was not a very long session, it was nice to see how this little baby will function.

My first 2 magazines were with 124 +P GDHP's and they worked flawlessly hitting the target about half an inch high of POA at 10 yards, so I think that will work just fine. You can definitely tell there is more pressure in those loads, but recoil was more than manageable and the muzzle blast wasn't too distracting.

I then put about 150 American Eagle 115 grn. FMJ downrange, and they shot right at POA. Very accurate for a little gun, and I must admit that after shooting Sigs for so long, it did take me a bit longer to get my proper sight picture when doing "2 to the body, 1 to the head" exercises. But I was able to keep my rounds where I wanted them without any trouble. No FTE's, no FTF's, no problems...So, so far, so good.... Except...

at the end of each magazine, the slide failed to lock back after the last round. This was not the case with the +P's, only the standard pressure loads. That was a bit less than I wanted, but hope it will work itself out with some more rounds.

I then ran a few more mags of +P GDHP's through it and experiences 2 FTF's; one with each magazine. But the slide did lock back after the last round, and just as before, POI was just above POA again.

Overall I am pleased, but not as excited as I would have hoped after $950. But, I haven't given up and will try it several more times. I've invested too much to let it go to pot, and I like the size, platform, and features of this little piece.

If anyone has any suggestions they are greatly appreciated. I think I would like to polish the ramp, but am unsure as to what is the best way to do that.

Anyway, thanks for listening and I hope this helps.

elwaine

Thanks for th F/U. I may get to the range tomorrow - if not, then early next week. I'm anxious to try hollow points.

I wouldn't make much of the failure to lock open - or even the 2 FTF instances - until the gun is broken in. Before judging a new gun (especially a 1911) I like to run a thousand rounds through it so that the gun smooths out and all the moving parts get a natural "wear-polish," so to speak.

As mentioned previously, I've put through only 250 rounds of WWB ammo (200 of the 115gr and 50, 124 gr.) in my EMP. Before trying the HPs I plan on shooting another 200 rounds of FMJ WWB ammo. Normally I'd wait even longer before trying HPs, but I am getting antsy.

BTW, Springfield tells me that the EMP ramp is polished. It sure doesn't have a mirror polish to it. But then again, after about 50 rounds, the feed ramp is coated with carbon soot anyway... so I'm not entirely shure how important a mirror polish is. I read how polishing the EMP ramp "solved" the FTF problems of some. But was that due to polishing the ramp, or just to the fact that the gun was better broken in at subsequent range sessions?

Hank's Dad

Thanks for the reply, Elwain.

I will say that there was quite a bit of "interest" when I went to the range. Everyone in the shop wanted to shoot my EMP. From what they tell me, their shop was the first in the state to get them, and I was the first in the state to buy one. So they all wanted to give it a go. I was pretty fun.

Thanks for the counsel on running more rounds through the gun. I must admit though...that is the very reason I have often shyed away from 1911's in the past. I have a tough time buying an expensive piece of equipment and not have it be 100% reliable when it comes out of the box. That is when it should be the most reliable, and that is what we are paying for. I know it is just part of the "1911 Mystique", but I would rather have it work every time right from the beginning. Just another rant...

elwaine

Range report – Part 2

I’ll start off by saying that I am less than a happy camper, but I haven’t given up on the EMP – yet. As I mentioned previously, I was taught (right or wrong) that a well made 1911 requires a break-in period to allow the moving parts to lap together and smooth out. Because of that, I’ve always ran 1,000 rounds of ball ammo through my 1911s before trying to feed them defensive ammo. In this case I made an exception (because I was getting antsy) and tested 7 different defensive loads after a break-in period of only 350 rounds of Winchester White Box Full Metal Jacket ammo… you know, the cheap stuff that always works well. For those who do not wish to read the entire report, here is the results in table form:

AMMO......................................Rounds Fired.....FTF.........Lt Strikes
Winchester WB, FMJ 115 gr. ..............350 ..........0 ................0
CorBon +P 115 gr. ...............................3 ...........3 ...............1
CorBon DPX +P 115 gr. ......................20 ...........2 ...............3
Federal Hydra-Shok 124 gr. ................20 ...........2 ...............1
Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. ........................5 ...........0 ...............5
Remington Golden Saber 124gr. ....25 ...........0 ...............0

Federal Tactical Bonded 124 gr. ........100 ...........4 ...............0
Remington UMC JHP 115 gr. ...............28 ...........6 ...............0

I began the session by running 100 rounds of WWB ammo through the EMP. No problems encountered. I decided that I would wipe off the feed ramp with a lightly oiled patch prior to each new type of defensive ammo used. That way it would simulate (to some degree) a clean gun.

Encouraged by a perfect record during the first 350 rounds of ball ammo, I loaded a magazine with CorBon +P 115 gr. JHPs, knowing that I would have no problems with that ammo as I’ve used it successfully in other guns. WRONG. After inserting the magazine and releasing the slide, the first round jammed immediately. I managed to get it to feed, only to be greeted by a “click” instead of a BANG. I cocked the hammer with my thumb, and the chambered round fired on the second strike – but the next round failed to feed correctly. After getting it to battery, it fired, but the 3rd round failed to feed. Three strikes and CorBon was out. I aborted that load and proceeded to…

CorBon DPX +P 115 gr. I had one box of 20 rounds. There were 2 FTF and 3 light strikes. Scratch another prospective defense load for my EMP.

Next up was the old tried and true Federal Hydra-Shok 124 gr. Out of a box of 20 rounds, I experienced 2 FTF and 1 light strike. HEY! What’s with this pistol, anyway?

OK, time to move on to “real ammo.” You know, the one that LEOs use… heck, the one I use… the Speer Gold Dot 115 gr. kick-ass, never fail, always dependable 9 mm beauty. There were no failures to feed, but after 5 light strikes in a row, I abandoned Speer for this test.

So now I’m beginning to do mental calculations about how much money I’m going lose when I sell or trade in this EMP of mine. But hold on, I tell myself… don’t give up so fast. I still have 3 more types of defensive ammo to try, and the light strike problem encountered with the Speer Gold Dots is easy enough to remedy.

Bring on the Remington Golden Saber 124 gr ammo! YES! A full box of 25 rounds fired without a single FTF or a single light strike. Ahhhhh. I knew I liked this little gun from the first time I laid eyes on it.

By now, I’m down to the last two types of defensive ammo that I brought with me. I wanted to save the Federal Tactical Bonded 124 gr. (LE9T1) for last, because that’s really what I want to carry – but I can wait no longer. Up next: Federal Tactical Bonded…

Forty eight rounds fired. No FTF… No light strikes. I’m a happy guy. And then round 48 and 50 had FTF problems. After then it worked fine until round 56 – another FTF… and one more at round 59. The final 41 rounds of the Federal FE9T1 encountered no problems.

Finally, I shot my last 28 rounds of Remington UMC JHP 115 gr. and had 6 FTF and no light strikes. But who cares, anyway. I never intended to use that ammo as a defense load anyway.

So where am I – other than disappointed? I’ve now ran 566 rounds through the EMP. I’ll run another 500 rounds of ball through the gun (like I would have, to begin with, had I not read disparaging posts about the EMP right after I bought the gun). And then I’ll try the Federal Tactical Bonded 124 gr. again. If it feeds 1,000 rounds of that ammo without a hitch, I’ll keep the gun as my carry gun. If not??? I’ll either sell it or, more likely, send it back to Springfield as many times as I have to until it works perfectly. (It has a lifetime warranty, and I’m a patient man… fortunately, one with MANY reliable guns in his safe.)

Why go through all this trouble, you ask? Well, in the first place, anyone who trusts any gun, regardless of make, model, or reputation without running at least 500 (better 1,000) rounds of defensive carry ammo through their gun to check for reliability does not like themselves as much as I like me. Second, the EMP is by far the most accurate small gun I’ve ever fired… no trouble at all hitting the 10 ring, with a fair amount of consistency, hand held at 15 yards. It is one of the most fun guns to shoot that I’ve ever used. It is small enough for easy and comfortable concealed carry. It has next to no felt recoil and very little muzzle jump (in the 9 mm version, anyway), and getting off multiple shots (fast and accurately) is a breeze. But, for now, I certainly will not carry it, and the saga continues…

If any of you are still around – and still interested - after I put another 500 rounds through the gun and re-test it, I’ll let you know what happens.