Range Report - Smith Carbine

PaultheWall

Got out to the range this morning for a little bit. Shot my Pietta Smith Carbine.

This target was shot at 50 yards, seated using 28 grains of Goex 2FG, 515 bullet lubed with SPG in a plastic case.

I had a few fliers (me, not the gun). I have shot better with this gun. Had not shot it in a few weeks, so was a little rusty.

As always, a hoot to shoot!

Attachments

• 2-21-12_Smith_50yds.JPG
    2-21-12_Smith_50yds.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 55

Jim Watson

SPG is the black powder bullet lube devised by Steve Garbe with maybe some input from Mike Venturino. It keeps black powder fouling soft. Works with at least moderate smokeless loads in cattige guns, too.

salvadore

50/50 parafin/petroleum jelly with a very modest amount of STP (DAR formula) is said to be equivalent to SPG. If my memory is correct.

PaultheWall

SPG

As stated in previous posts, it's a bullet lube. I just started using it in my Enfield musket and the Smith carbine.

With my Enfield, I fired over 20 rounds without having to clean the barrel -- every load went down with minimal resistance. Previously, using other lubes, by the sixth or seventh shot it was very difficult to ram down the charge due to fouling.

Great stuff, highly recommended.