Range report: S&W 99 vs. S&W m&p

Axion

Today I went to the range with my sig 229 .40, and since I had a free rental I asked to rent a M&P in 9mm because I've been wanting to try one out for a while. Well by accident the guy at the counter handed me a S&W 99. I didn't notice until I started shooting (because it was cased when he handed it to me) so I shot it for a bit before exchanging it for the M&P I intended to rent. At the end of the day here's what I had to say.

1) Recoil: M&P definitely had the softest recoil but while the SW99 was snappier it seemed to get back on target faster for me. Hard to put into words but it felt like the SW99 snapped up quick and then came back to point quick where as with the M&P everything happened slower. The Sig, being a .40 definitely had the most kick but I could still shot it just as fast as the other two while maintaining decent accuracy. The fact that I'm used to it probably doesn't hurt.

2) Fit: Here the SW99 REALLY impressed me. Something about it just felt so right and it pointed extremely naturally, this probably has something to do with why it seemed to get back on target so fast. As always I love the way the Sig feels in my hand, but I think the fit of the SW99 might actually be better in terms of how it makes me shoot. The m&p was nice.

3) Accuracy: When I slow fire my Sig I can can get very good (for me) accuracy out of it. At 75', if I do my part about focusing on the front site and not jerking the trigger I can consistently hit withing an inch or two of the dead center of the bulls eye. When I try to shoot faster however, my accuracy suffers. It's still decent but the groups are not near as tight. This is where the SW99 amazed me. At 30' with the first mag I put through the gun slow firing ALL of my (16) shots went into the black (about a 3" diameter circle on this target). The next 16 I fired still deliberately, but noticeable quicker. ALL of then still in the black. I was seriously impressed. Quick firing I defiantly get better grouping out of this then with my Sig (the difference isn't huge but it's there) even though I've putt over 2000 rounds through the Sig and this was the first time I ever shot the SW99. The thing about the SW99 is that I didn't even feel like I had to try to be accurate i just was with that gun.
My accuracy out of the M&P was ok, nothing interesting.

Trigger: Sig trigger feels the best for sure but there is something about the Quick action SW99 trigger that is very conducive to accurate shooting for me. For slow fire the SA mode on the Sig is still superior but for quick shooting the Quick action trigger with its short (but longer then SA) pull seems to help me not jerk the trigger. The reset also felt better then on the Sig.

The M&P trigger was ok. Kinda mushy and vague. One other thing. The trigger on the SW99 was heavy enough that I'd feel safe about carrying that cocked with no safety. The m&p is light enough that I'd be nervous. Just my .02 on that.

Overall: I think that for me 3 dot sight help quick target acquisition so I'm going to get some for the Sig. Oh and I'm so impressed with the SW99 that it's going to be my next gun except I'll probably get the Walther made version. The Walther should shoot just as well since they are pretty much the same gun right? I simply prefer the looks of the Walther AND it has a lower list price.

waynedm

Fit: Here the SW99 REALLY impressed me.

That's that Walther-made frame for you - they feel great. I can't say anything good as to what Smith did to the P99 though. Sad, just sad. :mad:

Silvanus

Your experience is a very good example for why (IMO) the Walther/S&W P99 is one of the best semi-autos. You should try an AS model, if you liked the trigger of the QA, it's simply amazing. Just like the accuracy you can achieve out of this rather small pistol.