Range report on new Taurus PT-145 stainless

Forseti

Ok, I just bought it yesterday, and I couldn't resist...normally I go to an outdoor range, but instead had to try it out on an indoor one...

I had to know if I had a reliable, accurate carry weapon.

I shot about 200 rounds of FMJ 230 grain through it. The gun is a striker fired weapon, no hammer. Reminds me of a Glock firing mechanism, actually, once I took it apart. Really sort of a cross between a glock upper and a PT-92 lower (designed to work together, of course).

I was very pleasantly surprised. First, accuracy was better than I thought it would be. 2" groups at about 30 feet, if I concentrated on accuracy over speed. That was pretty good for a gun with a short sight radius, and a 3.3" barrel...3 dot sights are nice, too. Right on the money.

Recoil was very managable. Lighter than I thought it would be, actually.

There was no frame cracking/plastic cracking.

The trigger pull was long, (not necessarily a bad thing...this is a self defense gun, not a bullseye pistol, and a light trigger that could go off with slight pressure is not what I wanted). The trigger pull is consistant...always the same, as opposed to traditional double action pistols (which this is not...its striker fired, as I mentioned earlier). After a while, I "knew" where the trigger would break, and it was also consistent. I had read other posting on how the PT series had a horrible trigger...I tried dry firing it before I bought it, and the trigger "feel" was just fine. Same at the range feeding ammo.

I DID have four failures. Three were the partial feeding of ammo...that is, the round was half way into the chamber, with the slide not closed all the way. All I did for each of these was push the slide forward the remaining distance...and it was at this point I realized I made a slight mistake in my rush to try out the weapon...

I had not lubed the weapon at all...it was just as it was with the lubrication from the factory...four months ago.

One failure was a failure to eject, and the slide tried to close on the fired round. Cleared by racking the weapon.

The magazine does not fall free from the gun when the release is pressed, but needs a tug. Since I don't plan to carry this with more than a single mag, I'm not concerned.

After I got it home, I stripped it and lubed it with CLP. I don't expect to have any problems...Most guns need a slight break-in period.

Overall, I was VERY pleased. This is darn good for a gun that cost $365.

If you got any questions, post, and I'll do my best to answer them...

denfoote

No questions. Just answers!!

Don't be hurt, surprised, or even pi&&ed off when your frame cracks right at the end where the serial number is!! :eek:

Been there. Done that!!! :mad: Mine managed to get 650 rounds through it before it cracked. Most were 230gr S&B hard ball. The rest were 230gr Golden Saber.

I don't know if Taurus has solved the "problem" yet. Heck, they won't admit that there even is a problem!!! :rolleyes: When it came back from Taurus, I sold it!! :)

Needless to say, I'm not getting another one. :barf:

satxman

Forseti,

You'll find the trigger getting better and better. My first couple of hundred rounds did experience some FTFs. but went on the feed everything. Got to tell you, I let a gentleman at the range shoot the PT145 at about 7 yards. He hit dead on, turn and gave me a look that could only be described as incredulous. I shoot his Sig 9mm and hated the trigger. Go figure.

Lets us know how it progresses.

satxman

Forgot to mention...

The guy at the range not only liked the result of shooting the PT145 but the hole in the paper was sooooo much bigger than his 9. ;)

SouthpawShootr

Be sure to check back when the round count is over 1000. You will probably find the reliability improving one you remove the packing grease (and now associated fouling). I don't know of any manufacturer that will ship a new pistol ready to fire (although a good many of them will do just fine). Just about everybody advises a thorough cleaning first.

Forseti

denfoote, I actually called Taurus before I got the gun, and just asked them about the frame cracking problem on the PT-145. They admitted it, said they did get a lot in that were manufactured last year, that they had made a revision to the gun (the person on the phone from customer service was not a technical person, so she could not tell me the exact nature of the revision...just that she knew they had made one).

The conversation is what steered me towards this high serial number PT-145...August 2002 manufacture (which is why, in the above post, I said the gun had the original factory lubrication from four months ago). I have no 2001 model to compare it to, so I don't know if whatever they did is visible to the naked eye.

It does seem the PT145 is beefier and more robust than the PT-138, -111, and -140. So, problems with PT-138's, PT-111's, and PT-140's may not be applicable to the PT-145, despite some basic similar operating principals.

Blackhawk

Thanks for the report. From what I found out, the plastic "frame" was reinforced in several areas that are supposed to be noticable if compared side-by-side, but I haven't done that.

I'm glad that Taurus is at least tacitly admitting they "had" a problem....

Was that $365 from a gun shop?