Range Report of New Bushmaster

Jaywalker

Since my purchase was based in large part on the opinions of TFL online community, I though you might like to see how it worked out. http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=89353

This is a report of my new Bushmaster AR-15A2-E3 (removable handle) 16-inch Heavy Barrel, ordered on 29 November 2001 from KY Imports and delivered to my FFL dealer (Quantico Marine Corps Exchange) on 4 December.

The rifle ships in a plastic Doskocil Gun Guard case with waffle foam lining. Its appearance of out the box was unremarkable, with a few exceptions. First, the stock was discolored near the receiver, with an uneven oily-stain effect all around the stock, from about one inch to three inches from the join. After three days the stain had completely disappeared; I suspect it had something to do with the foam lining Bushmaster ships them in. Possibly this had been sitting in the box for some time, as the accompanying catalog refers to Bushmaster's models for the year 2000. The second item of interest, the magazine, was clearly built of two previous magazines and riveted/spot-welded together to make a 10-round post-ban item. More about the magazine later. Third, the rear sight alignment appeared odd. It is clearly under slight pressure from an unseen spring beneath it, and the gaps between the sight and the rest of the carrying handle allowed the sight module to pivot slightly counterclockwise. Looking down on it from the top shows a channel that doesn't quite align with the carrying handle channel. It appears odd, but functional.

The rifle weighs seven pounds and twelve ounces, with the empty magazine and without the carrying strap. The trigger breaks at six pounds four ounces, with a trace of creep and otherwise a good letoff. The creep has diminished, but is still present after firing and dry-firing several hundred times.

As I have never fired an AR15 before, I read the operator's manual closely and understood some of it. I found particularly striking the warning that the rifle could explode unless the "cam pin" was installed in the bolt group! This seemed to be a good reason to learn to disassemble the upper, so I did so. Not surprisingly, the cam pin was in place, but I learned that the rifle can be broken down to remarkably small components with nothing but a cartridge for a tool.

Fortified with this confidence, I approached the directions on "zeroing" the rifle. What I eventually figured out, as it was not printed anywhere, was the purpose behind zeroing - if I'm off base, please let me know. Since the trajectory of the bullet will cross the line of sight twice - zeroing is catching the bullet on its way up and assuming that it will cross the line of sight the second time at a predetermined range. In the case of the Marine Corps A2 method, that second crossing will be 300 meters. On the initial zeroing, we don't change the rear sight elevation, but rather the front post. Once that's set, we can click the sight elevation adjustments for longer ranges. For my purposes, though, 300 meters, its closest setting, was farther than I'll ever need, and it would provide large point of aim differences from the line of sight at the ranges I'll be shooting. I therefore chose the Chuck Santose zero method, which involved adding two (or four) clicks to the elevation wheel below the normal 300 zero. This allows a zero at 50 yards and 200 yards, with a resultant low trajectory and sighting error over the ranges I do use, while still keeping the full capability of the A2's click adjustability at longer ranges. This involved the use of a 1/16 hex head wrench before going to the range.

At the range it was a beautiful day to test the rifle, with sunny skies, low wind, and a temperature of 54 degrees F. I used Winchester Q3131A (Lot SE42). I used 3-inch day-glow orange stick-on dots as points of aim. I fired off a bench, with sandbags to brace the rifle.

For zeroing, I set the rear site four clicks below the 6/3 mark (I still don't know what the "6" means), and fired two rounds at a time to zero, walked the group down four clicks of the front post, then one click two or three more times until the bullets were at the point of aim. During this period each pair of bullets were impacting ½ inch to one inch apart, a good beginning. Windage three clicks clockwise, and it was hitting as close as I could tell to point of aim. The sun was at my 10 o'clock and tended to hide the sight a little. Even with the sun, the muzzle flash was very apparent.

The last time I used iron sights was on a Mini-14 25 years ago. The lack of training showed up clearly as I began firing for groups at 50 yards. I fired four five-shot groups with the following results:

2-7/16", with four in 1-7/8"
1-1/2"
2", with 4 in 1-1/2"
1-3/4"

I fired one 10-shot group at 50 yards, with 5 in 1-1/2 inches and all 10 in 3-1/2 inches. This 10-shot group was strung out from slightly high-left (from point of aim) to low right. I suspect operator error in this group, with a little help from the magazine. (I have learned that this chopped and rebuilt magazine is not a good approach; is this the "Frankenmag" I have read about?) In any case, it would only hold eight rounds, not 10. My 10-shot group, therefore, had some reloading built into it. After seeing the group clearly, I could also see my five-shot groups had the same tendency. I might be canting the barrel as I continue.

I fired one five-shot group at 100 yards. Three were in the three-inch dot and two weren't, for a group size of four inches. On the final two shots I was totally unable to see the orange dots, so I fired no more at that range. Maybe I need a six-inch black bull to shoot at.

To summarize, this Bushmaster is a quality piece of work, capable of much more accuracy than I am. My older eyes may be leading me to some sort of optical sight in order to wring the best out of it.

Jaywalker

ajacobs

I think you will be very happy with the rifle. I suggest you read the FAQ section on the bushmaster web site. It explains the angled site and a few other things.

AR-10

The Frankenmag you have should hold ten rounds after you have loosened it up a little.

I have read of some people having feed problems with theirs, although mine always worked flawlessly. Mine sits on the shelf now, as USGI mags are much more fun. If you are unhappy with the mag, I believe Bushmaster will replace it with a new one piece ten rounder for free.

Hope you get lots of enjoyment out of your Bushy.

ronin308

Jaywalker- The "6" on the elevation dial is the 600 yard level of the sight. I'm assuming here that you don't have much experience with ARs here so if I'm insulting your intelligence and/or experience please forgive me. The widely accepted sight in method is to zero @ 25m. You dial the sight to the "3" setting and then you click it up one click. Then you set up a target at 25m and zero on that. The way to adjust for the elevation at this point is by adjusting the front sight ONLY. Adjust for windage on the rear sight. Once it is zeroed here the rear sight functions as a BDC (Bullet Drop Compensator). The numbers on the sight will indicate the distance in yards to the target. The "3" setting will function from distances 0-300m, the "4" @ 400m, and so on and so forth. A tip on shooting with peep sights on a rifle: Focus on the front sight ONLY. Do not focus on the target or rear sight. For this reason, super high visibility targets (like orange dots) are not recommended as they draw your attention off the front sight. I hope I've been of some help!

Dan

P.S. Enjoy your new rifle :)

Jaywalker

ronin308, can you explain this a little more, please? I don't understand how the one sight setting can be both 300 and 600 meters when the trajectory crosses the Line Of Sight first at around 25 meters (or 50 yards, in my case), unless it's 600 on the next full revolution. I was aware of the 25/300 meter zero, but decided to go with the 50/200 yard approach by adding four clicks below the 6/3 mark. I did know I was supposed to focus on the front sight, but when I did that the entire orange dot disappeared. From what you say, orange is contraindicated. I'll go with black - what size is best?

AR10, I wondered if bushy would replace it. I think I'll ask them to do it. Thanks.

ajacobs, could I bother you for a link to that angled sight reference on the Bushy FAQs? I can't find it.

absolom, thanks, I think my eyes will drive me toward some kind of optical sight soon. Did you go direct to an aftermarket trigger, or did you polish up the factory one first?

Jaywalker

If you want to play with different zeros, the Norma Ballistic Calculator will let you define your own bullet properties and has a neat little graph that shows the bullet trajectory, energy, and height over/under line of sight at any given point.

http://www.norma.cc/htm_files/javapagee.htm

In order to check out M855 (62gr.) out of a 16" barrel, use the following values:

Ballistic coefficient: 0.304
Weight: 62gr.
Muzzle Velocity: 2989
Height of sightline: 2.6 inches (for carry handle iron sights)

(For other barrels the only thing that changes is muzzle velocity - check the Maryland AR15 site for that info)

The 50yd zero is good as it is practically flat out to about 200-220yds and that's further than most of us will be reliably shooting with iron sights. Because you have dialed it in 2 clicks lower, you can also dial up to 3 on the elevation dial to compensate for the 6" drop at 300 for the 50yd zero.

If you have A1 sights then the above mentioned calculator is a good way to set up a zero that works for your rifle/ammo combo.

ajacobs

Hmm, I can no longer find it in the bushmaster faq either, let me attempt to explain.

There is by design wiggle room in the rear sight. Not only would it be impracticle and costly to machine a flush fit with the carrying handle but it would be undesirable for ease of motion. Dut to this the wiggle needs to be pradictable and steady. For this reason a spring and ball detent are installed on one side parelel with the bore. This applies presure on one side of the site keeping it in the same spot each time (predictable sight picture). If two were installed (making the pressure even) the sight could jar and stick either way. There fore preventing the maintaing of a zero. With one spring (although it makes it appear a little off) it is in the same spot every time. This is the desired effect. Some have gaps a little bigger than others between the rear sight and the carry handle making it more pronouced.

Hope this helps.

Aaron

ronin308

What chickrepelent said was correct- One full revolution to the "6" of the "6/3" will be dead on for 600m (if you sighted it in with the 25m zero that I mentioned). To shoot precisely with irons you have to focus only on the front sight and never on anything else. You should be focusing so intently that you should be able to see a speck of dust on the sight. The sight-in advice others have given is good but I would do it just like the A2s are designed for, which is the 25m method. If there isn't anything that you don't understand clearly just give me a reply here and we can figure it out.

Dan

Jaywalker

ronin308 and absolom, well, I am interested in polishing the trigger up before I (probably) buy a better trigger. I read something (don't remember where) about taking out not the trigger pin, putting it in a drill chuck and polishing it with 0000 steel wool lightly. Then use that pin to drive out and replace the trigger pin and lightly polish that pin and replace it where the first pin was. That apparently gets both pins polished and, as I recall, should improve the trigger. Possibly this only gets it to reduce creep and down to 5-1/2 pounds, though. Does that ring any bells?

Barthomew, I think I'll retain the 50/200 yards zero for the present, but it sounds like an intersting future project.

ajacobs, that sight alignment sounds right. It just looks a little funny.

My first need is for some M193, which I'll order from Ammoman, if he still has some.

I have an immediate need for some 20 round USGI magazines, though. Any recommendations about where I can buy some now? Georgia Precision has some new Colt mags, I think, but I don't know if the Colt logo makes them worth $35 - $40. Anyplace else?

Jaywalker

dZ

2 stage triggers are getting a mention on the Tactical forums
they don't seem to fair as well as a standard trigger after a week of combat training

Many shooters decide that tinkering and having unnecessary work done on their guns would make them somehow shoot better. A perfect example of this is aftermarket triggers- which is a large kiss of death on a service gun. They don't work well enough to be worthwhile, have a finite (very finite) life, and if yours goes TU you better have a plumber with the proper tools, parts and knowledge available.
If you have a stock trigger, it is easily replaced by most anyone.

----Pat _Rogers
http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000372.html

heres a tfl link on polishing AR triggers:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15982

ronin308

Jaywalker- Check out http://www.ammoman.com he has 20-rounders in bundles of 5 for decent prices. I wouldn't put the cart before the horse here. What I mean to say is that I think that you shouldn't worry about researching new triggers just yet. If you're going to polish it yourself like you said, I'd do it. But I wouldn't front the cash for an aftermarket trigger just yet. I would concentrate more on polishing up my field shooting skills first. You should be able to get at least about 2 MOA outta your new rifle. I'd try to buy about 30 magazines and a few cases of ammo before I went after a new trigger. But since you said you were thinking about doing the work yourself you may as well do it! Good luck

Dan

I second the recommendation to hold up on buying a new trigger - put a few thousand rounds (real or dryfire) through the rifle and the trigger will improve with use to some degree.

Jaywalker

Nice links. I agree, I think my greatest need right now is for practice. I've asked the Ammoman to send me the name he wants on a Postal money order for a thousand Lake City M193.

Bartholomew, I was never able to find any cheap Federal American Eagle (was that it?) that you recommmended, so I went with the Q3131A, mostly from Galyan's.

The trigger has only improved a bit, but so far I haven't really minded it. It's hard to describe, but it feels "solid." Off a bench, it isn't really much of a handicap. I suspect eventually I'll want a better one, but I'll just live with it for now, and tweak as I gain confidence. I'm interested in the "finite life" comment by Pat Rogers - how many rounds do you expect that to be? absolom, how many rounds have you put through yours?

I hadn't noticed the Ammoman's "AR Mag" link until Dan mentioned it. Are those "good" prices he's asking, or only "fair?"

Jaywalker

Bartholomew, I was never able to find any cheap Federal American Eagle (was that it?) that you recommmended, so I went with the Q3131A, mostly from Galyan's.

Actually, I recommended the M193 Lake City from Ammoman as a good quality ammo that doesn't have problems with flash (since it uses a flash retardant). The Q3131A is basically identical to M193 (which I assume you already knew).

I'm interested in the "finite life" comment by Pat Rogers - how many rounds do you expect that to be? absolom, how many rounds have you put through yours?

I believe it was mentioned that the average shelf life of an M4 carbine in the Naval Special Warfare community was around 18 months. That's probably a relevant point to keep in mind concerning the finite life of aftermarket triggers. I am sure they are more fragile than the mil-spec version; but I imagine that the type of use your rifle sees plays a big role in whether they are too fragile for you.

You can always drop by the
Tactical Forums and ask. There is a lot of good info in the archives there - particularly for AR15s.

I hadn't noticed the Ammoman's "AR Mag" link until Dan mentioned it. Are those "good" prices he's asking, or only "fair

I haven't compared Ammoman's prices extensively; but he is usually competitive and I've never had better service from any other company, gun-related or not. He really does set the standard.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Jawalker, count me in as one who's puzzled by Pat Rogers' remarks. I see no reason whatsoever that an aftermarket trigger is "more fragile".

The stock triggers are clunky because of the cost of hand-finishing. No darned way are they "stronger" or "more durable", unless the aftermarket manufacturer has some small, marginal engagement of the mating surfaces' overlap.

But it takes a heckuva long time to wear away some 20 or 30 thousandths of glass-hard steel.

:), Art

Bartholomew: Other than "imagining", on what exactly do you base your assessment that aftermarket triggers are more fragile than mil-spec triggers? I'd REALLY like to know, as I've fired several thousand rounds over my JP trigger.

Well since you would REALLY like to know, I base my assessment mostly on Pat Rogers experience. Since he has evaluated the M4 extensively and works for Marine Force Recon, I'm willing to trust his judgement and experience on the issue.

In addition to that, it just seems to be common sense that the more parts (adjustable set screws, overtravel, etc.) that make up the trigger, the more fragile that trigger is likely to be. I'd also add to that my experience with some AR-15 aftermarket parts, which suggests that at least some manufacturers are more than willing to pump out parts of questionable utility or quality (titanium firing pins, etc.)

Also wonder how much experience the naysayers actually have with AR aftermarket triggers? I have experience with both aftermarket and mil-spec.

Well, I've included the link to Tactical Forums where Pat Rogers moderates in my previous post. Why not hop over there and ask him? My personal experience with AR aftermarket triggers is limited to Rock River Arms, since that's the only non-mil-spec trigger I use in my own ARs. So far it hasn't shown any signs of fragility; but it hasn't seen much use either.

I'd also point out that I wasn't naysaying aftermarket triggers. in fact, I was doing quite the opposite and pointing out that someone who goes through an entire rifle in 18 months might have a different perception about what constitutes fragile than what you or I do.

In fact, I almost thought I detected a certain tone in your post that made me wonder if I had somehow pissed in your cereal instead of just stating my own personal belief that aftermarket triggers are more fragile than mil-spec triggers.

However, more thought on the subject convinced me I was probably being oversensitive since TFL has long been a place where I could find a wide variety of opinions discussed in a civil fashion. I guess I was just "imagining" things.

Jaywalker

Actually, I recommended the M193 Lake City from Ammoman as a good quality ammo that doesn't have problems with flash (since it uses a flash retardant). The Q3131A is basically identical to M193 (which I assume you already knew).
Bartholomew, you're right. It's strange that I associated that brand with your advice. Did you perhaps recommend it to someone else at some time in another thread? Also, I saw more muzzle flash than I expected, and wonder if that level is what I'll see with the Lake City M193.

...pointing out that someone who goes through an entire rifle in 18 months might have a different perception about what constitutes fragile...
Excellent point about differing perspectives, though. If you don't expect to wear your AR out in 18 months, you might not notice a "fragile" trigger that breaks a piece in, say, 5000 rounds. From the heights of my one week's experience, may I suggest that the very modularity of the AR encourages newbies, myself included, to install things beyond their/my competence? For me, simple is good. Maybe the fault is in the installer, rather than the installed.

Jaywalker