Range Report of my Taurus M669

Waspinator

Hi,

I was able to get some time in at the range with my newly acquired 1989 Taurus Model 669 6" barrel revolver.

I was able to put 150 .38 specials through it today and it functioned flawlessly. I will have to say the revolver is a shooter and is most likely more accurate than I am. I'm sure someone who is a better shot would be able to net better results. But, that said, for me this was a very good first day out. I got a bit better towards the end of the trip.

Here are some pictures. All shots taken at 30 feet (10 yard line) in double action. Ammunition used was Blazer Brass (125 gr. FMJ RN). Six shots per target area.

CajunBass

Those old Taurus guns with the wood grips are nice.

I'm betting you just stapled the target up with no backing judging from the way the targets tore? Maybe you know it, but in case you don't, if you put up a piece of cardboard first, then staple the target to the cardboard, you'll stop a lot of that.

Waspinator

'm betting you just stapled the target up with no backing judging from the way the targets tore? Maybe you know it, but in case you don't, if you put up a piece of cardboard first, then staple the target to the cardboard, you'll stop a lot of that.

Yeah, I know. But, the range were I go, the only one close to my house, now requires to buy targets from them and they charge for a cardboard backer. I used to buy the backer when I was able to bring my own targets. Now, between ammo cost, range time and targets.. it is getting expensive.

Bottom line? I'm to cheap to pay them for the backer, lol.

Only time I buy the backer is when I take the 12 gauge, per rules you need a backer when shooting shotgun.

Funny how the range rules have gotten stricter over the last few years. They used to allow buckshot, but a couple of fools peppered everything but the target area. Now they only allow slugs. They used to allow PGO shotguns, but then a fool had his wife, who never shot a shotgun before, fire a PGO and she broke her face. Now all shotguns need stocks. They used to allow your own targets, but then some fools brought in some type of target that messed up the range so bad, it took days for them to clean it. Now you have to buy the targets.

A few people lacking common sense and common courtesy made things more strict and more expensive for the rest of us. grrrr....

Sorry for the rant.... got off topic there for a second, lol.

bedbugbilly

Nice! I have a couple of 6" 38s and for range shooting, they are a lot of fun! Good shooting and enjoy that fine looking wheel gun! Looks like you're doing mighty fine with it! :)

old bear

Waspinator, you were able to get some very nice groups there. I have one Tarsus revolver that has been very serviceable, and is more accurate that I am.

Enjoy that guy.

Sevens

I have one of those ^, a stainless 66, six-inch barrel, 7-shot revolver.

Accuracy is something it absolutely, positively displays. I have had days on the indoor range shooting slow fire at paper targets where the hardcore Smith & Wesson guy inside me is deathly afraid to pit my Taurus 66 up against some of my S&W revolvers in an accuracy showdown for fear that the Taurus would win.

To the subject gun, Taurus really had a great set of wood stocks in those days. They looked very good, they fit the hand nicely and they were comfortable for shooting. Not great at taming heavy recoil, but fine for .38's of any power.

Waspinator

Thanks for the comments guys.

I have to say, this one is the most accurate handgun I own to date. It is even more accurate than my 22lr Ruger 4" SP101. I'm used to shooting my 2.25" barreled .357 SP101 (95% .38 specials). I put no less than fifty rounds through the SP101 every trip and have gotten to the point I can hit the "10-ring" on a law enforcement silhouette target all the time. Going to the 6" heavier gun was an eye opener for me as far as accuracy goes.

I should have bought a 6" revolver before now.. If I knew what I was missing I sure would have.

To think, I almost didn't buy this gun. I thought it was a S&W from across the counter, but then seen it was a Taurus. After reading all the negative stuff on this and other forums, I was going to walk. But, it was only going for Two Benjamins and I asked to pick it up. Once I held it and checked it over (I'd say its 85%-90% condition. Other than few small scratches and a lite turn ring, it is in great shape) , there was no way I was leaving without it. I was still a bit nervous, but this range trip affirmed I made the right choice.

I tell you this, I won't dismiss another Taurus again, just on the account of it being a Taurus.