Range Report: Kel-Tec PF9

shooter_john

I have been wanting a 'pocket pistol' (but still wanted at least a 9mm) for sometime now, and I was intrigued with the Kahr's but they just don't fit my budget. Then I found the PF9 which is substancially less than the Kahr, and began doing some research. I got on ktog.org, and it kinda scared my with some of the issues reported on the PF9's, but it seemed that 'new' models (post 10/07ish) should be ok. So I picked up this OD/ Hard Chrome model off of gunbroker for a grand total of $290 ($270 + $20s&h, no transfer fee) and hoped for the best. Serial # was well within the "Good to go" range, and finally today I went to the range.

Function:
The biggest problem I encountered was that the magazine would only hold 6 rds instead of 7. No matter how hard I pushed, 7 just wasn't happening.
I started with some 115 gr FMJ's from the 7 yd line, and my first shot was dead on, and pretty much the rest of the mag was too. I put 50-60 more rounds of FMJ through it with the only hiccups being 2 FTF's that appeared to be mag or maybe ammo related. The 'double' trigger reset is different but by the end of the day I had gotten fairly accustomed to it, and was getting good double and triple taps. I never had a FTF because of the trigger, and I actualy found it to be pretty smooth and not that heavy of a pull at all.

Next I wanted to try and find a carry ammo, and my choices at the moment were Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P, and Federal Nyclad 124 gr HP's. Both shot well and functioned flawlessly through several magazines each, but the Gold Dot's were by far the most accurate of anything I put through it (2" at 10 yds).

Shooting the PF9:
Recoil is definitely sharp, but isn't as bad as I was expecting. Sights are decent, but at the distances I was shooting, I was hardly using them anyway and was still getting very good hits on FBI "Q" targets and even on 8" steel. The farther I got from the target, the farther to the left I hit and I really don't know why, but if I ever have to employ this thing past 10yds, it has turned into a BAD day anyhow. It really wan't that bad of a shooter at all.

Final Impressions:
The PF9 (at least new ones apparently) is a great little pistol for what I want, and is ALMOST fun to shoot, and certainly isn't nearly as bad to shoot as I was expecting. Accuracy is plenty good enough at the ranges I would expect to use it at, and it hits very hard for a package this small. I made a 'speed scabbard' and a pocket holster for my PF9, I swear it melts into my hip in the scabbard, and is hardly noticeable in the pocket holster. My initial thought is that this pistol was a GREAT value, and it will most certainly start going with me everywhere I go, even if I have another gun on with it.

PF9.jpg

shooter_john

Oh yeah... All testing was done intentionally without any additional lube/ clean other than what it came with. She'll get a good bath and oiling tonight!

shepherddogs

I got one of those too. Mine seems to feed smoothly and ejects well too. My biggest concern is it doesn't dent the primers very deeply at all. I've had one failure to ignite out of a total of about 60 rounds of miscellaneous ammo. I load and shoot 2 mags and then clean it. I didn't get it for target practice, just concealed backup. I don't think the recoil is bad at all. Just a little snappy. At least it works better than the P3ATs I had. They never made it through a whole mag without jams.

alamo

The biggest problem I encountered was that the magazine would only hold 6 rds instead of 7. No matter how hard I pushed, 7 just wasn't happening.

Give the mag spring a bit of time to loosen up. My Glock 19 mags were like that. I could only get 9 rounds in them initially but after awhile, 10 would go in.

You can use a ruler or something to work the follower up & down a couple of dozen times to accelerate the process.

If it doesn't loosen up before long, take the mag apart and inspect. Or do it now - just don't stretch the spring to "loosen it up" yourself.

Shadi Khalil

I've always wanted a kel tec but can get over the trigger. Outside SD distances I was terrible with the DAO on my MK9, quite possibly one of the best on the market (IMO). So if I was that bad with the kahr.....Are the PF9 stronger than the smaller ones? I thought the .32's and .380's have some of round limit.

shooter_john

teifman...
This is the first and only Kel-Tec I have ever shot, but I found the trigger to be OK. It is not that heavy really, like I said it shot spot on out to 10yds.

Shadi Khalil

For the price and all the good things I hear, I sometimes think it would be wroth it to just pick one up and try it out. If I hate it that much, throw it in a safe or kick it down to a noob....

hoytinak

The mag that came with mine was the same way. I kept it 2 weeks shooting it 3 or 4 times hoping it would loosen up. It never did so I called Kel-Tec and told them the problem and they just send me a new one, didn't even have to send the other one in.