Range Report-HS Supermatic Trophy

DT Guy

Just back from my second trip to the range with my new High Standard Supermatic Trophy. After about 300 rounds and some magazine tweaking, I feel like I can write a fairly comprehensive initial review.

I bought the gun while looking for a Ruger Mark II. (I wanted to pick one up before the Mark IIIs displaced them all-there are some issues with the Mark III, and I've been hemming and hawing about getting a nice target .22 for some time.) Comparing the HS to the Ruger, even with the rather large difference in price, I really felt the HS to be a better firearm for a long-term 'relationship.' I appreciated the balance, the resemblance to a 1911 in the grip shape and the absolutely incredible trigger.

Reading the manual, the manufacturer is very up-front about the pistol being finicky about ammo, requiring more maintenance and cleaning and requiring very tedious magazine 'tuning' for the ammo you intend to shoot. They also come right out and say that the pistol will not be reliable until at least 500 rounds of high-velocity ammo have gone through it. Hardly an advertisement, but I appreciate their honesty, and knew what I was getting myself into.

The first trip to the range, immediately upon receiving the pistol, showed that the pistol was, indeed, very finicky. I had about 6 different types of .22 ammo, and although there was some variation, none fed with any regularity. On the other hand, even with the constant jamming, I could begin to see the pistol's accuracy potential, although I don't shoot well while continually clearing malfunctions. (Does anybody?)

After bringing the gun home, cleaning it thoroughly and beginning the process of 'tuning' the two magazines that came with it, I continued to be impressed. The internal machining was extremely well-done, and the trigger (which is supposed to spec at 2 1/4 pounds) had almost no take-up, a pristine break and no overtravel I could perceive.

Today I brought a small set of pliers to the range and began the very tedious process of getting the mags set up to feed correctly. After about 100 rounds (!) I finally got the pistol feeding most 5 round strings without a hitch, although there were still occasional mis-feeds, although these seem to be consistently fewer and fewer.

Truth be told, after all this I was getting a little disheartened. I had signed up for the 'tweaking' part, but it's hard to maintain your enthusiasm when a new gun won't get through a magazine without a jam. Never really was the patient type. :D

After getting the gun (mostly) running, though I put out some targets at 50 feet and began actually shooting. All thoughts of regret instantly fled when I realized how well the darn gun shoots. I'm no target shooter, but I eventually was getting five out of five, consistently, on the part of a business card that hung from the target holder. I've never shot any gun this well in my life, and I've had some accurate guns. But this gun made it seem easy to nail the business card, almost as if I was hardly participating in the shooting. Line up the sights, press, hole in the card.

I realize that a real target shooter will want group sizes and such, but I don't really have any. I seldom shoot at bullseyes, and I'm no target shooter, anyway. I've no doubt that the gun can shoot far, far better than I can. But I've never, ever shot a gun that makes me feel like such a good shooter-ever.

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. :)

Larry

Majic

Obviously you have one of the newer High Standards and not one from the older, original comapny.
A target handgun should be designed around target, sub sonic ammo. Going to high-velocity ammo will cause you to potentially lose some of it's accuracy. Only the new guns of today will mention the usage of the cheaper high-velocity ammo. They become more of a plinker than a target gun.
Try using sub-sonic ammo and it may surprise you even more as it may become a real tack driver for you.

DT Guy

Actually, the new HS pistols ARE designed for target ammo. They only recommend using hi velocity stuff to help break it in while it's still stiff, the first 500 or so.

It was TIGHT when I got it, so I suspect they know what they're doing when they recommend it.

Larry

Hal

I appreciated the balance, the resemblance to a 1911 in the grip shape and the absolutely incredible trigger.
Yep.

Now when you read a post by someone that says their ____ (fill in the blank) has a great trigger,,,, you can smile and say to yourself " If they only knew what a great trigger really was".

Here's the scarry part. As great as the new ones (High Standard) are, the older ones are even better. I have a Sport King circa late 1970's. This was their entry level bare bones model. If that thing lets off at more than a pound and a half, I'd be surprised. NO take up, NO overtravel and as crisp and positive as the icicle breaking analogy. It's a sad testament to the days of yesteryear, where great triggers were off the shelf items.

I've no doubt that the gun can shoot far, far better than I can. But I've never, ever shot a gun that makes me feel like such a good shooter-ever
You know,,, I really don't think that's a fair thing to say about your skills. I have to wonder at times just how limited a lot of people are by the quality of their equipment? It's entirely possible that now,,,with the proper equipment,,,you're able to shoot up to your ability.

Whatever the case,,,welcome to the group of High Standard fans.

FWIW - I ran into a guy one day at the range that was shooting an older model HS. He was making little oblong holes @ 50 feet with it in the target.(read that as he was putting 5 shots into a perfect figure eight). I complimented him on his shooting skills and asked what type of gun he was using. He showed me the HS. I told him I had an older Sport King - with a 1 1/2 pound trigger. He kind of grinned and told me his trigger was set in grams, not pounds :eek:

DT Guy

Grams? Yikes!

As much as I'd like it, it'd spoil me even more for the 1911 and my other guns.

And as an aside, I carried a Glock on duty for years. It was reliable and consistent, and I appreciated it for what it was. Still do. But when I'd hear the other officers talk about how their Glock with the 5.5# connector had a 'hair trigger', I realized how few people know what a REALLY good trigger is like.

My competition 1911's trigger is about the same weight as my new HS, and it has an excellent break. Many people who've shot it proclaim it 'perfect', and I'd have agreed-until I shot the HS.

I appreciate the older HS pistols, too-it's just that the ones I've seen around here are either very, very expensive or very beat up. And I don't know enough about the guns (yet) to check one out and know which ones are still in good shooting shape, therefore the new one.

Larry

Majic

Modern manufactoring! Instead of lapping the pieces together they recommend shooting ammo that the springs of the pistol is not designed for as a break-in. :(

DT Guy

I don't know-the manufacturing looks pretty doggone smooth to me. And everything works without the telltale hitches you'd get from roughness or lack of finish work. They're undoubtedly using CNC tooling, but they seem to be using it pretty well.

It's just tight-like a new Les Baer 1911 is tight. Smooth and everything, but fitted really, really close.

I wish they 'made them like they used to', I really do. I doubt I could afford a $3000 .22, though, so I'll be happy that it works this way.

Larry