Range report for a new Savage

jersey joe

I am new to this but I will give it a go. I waited for a Savage 116 in .270 with Accustock for four months and finally received it about three weeks ago. This was my second trip to the range and I am happy as a clam. I am no seasoned pro but if I can shoot this then I can only imagine how others can make it perform. I have a Leupold III 3x10x40 on it and I was shooting Federal box ammo 130 grain soft point. These four shots were made at 100 yards and were targeted for a 200 yard zero. Trust me, it was the rifle!

Attachments

• P1010293.jpg
    P1010293.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 270

Fat White Boy

Good shooting! The .270 caliber is inherently accurate. It is my favorite hunting round. I use stock 130 gr Corelokt with smilar results. All my other calibers, I had to fool around until I found the best load. The .270 was good from the get-go...

dogngun

I love Savage rifles - hard to go wrong,

Never had a .270, but might start thinking about it....
Nice shooting!

mark

flashhole

Very nice - I've been hoping to run into someone at the range with a new accustock rifle. I think Savage has a winner with the way the gun is assembled. Savage just keeps getting better and better. It's probably time I bought one. I've been favoring the small calibers lately and am on the lookout for a 222 Remington. I wonder when they will put the accustock on the smaller stuff?

jersey joe

Thanks all.
One thing worth mentioning is that I believe the target helped me to hold a consistent center. I found that when shooting at a circle I could be 'on' and still be off by fractions of an inch. With this target I could line up the scope cross hairs with the target vertical and horizontal much easier. I realize this is akin to cheating because animals don't come similarly marked. Nonetheless it was a great confidence builder.

flashhole

When I do load development I make bold black horizontal and vertical lines on my target with a magic marker just to help me hold better. I never viewed it as cheating but I would like to see the deer would wear bright orange target circles during hunting season.

ge515

Great shooting. I was hopeing someone would post some shooting results on the Savage Accustock.. I have an order in for a Savage 16FHSS Accustock in 257 Roberts and can't wait to receive it.

jersey joe

Nice and new and shiny

Here it is. Hopefully the pic will expand as I planned. I started researching and looking right after the New Year. It wasn’t until March that the big C would even take an order. Thankfully the weather tempered my usual lack of patience.

Attachments

• 116-1.jpg
    116-1.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 56

5whiskey

SWEET! About as good as my Rem 700 .243 @ 200 yds. on a very gusty day.

You forgot the :D.

Not to be a smart tale, but his group appears to be less than .75 inches @ 100. If you're shooting that @ 200 in heavy winds with a .243, then that would equate to around .375 moa. I've seen benchrest comp shooters average worse than that.

I'm not saying it's impossible, or even that you can't. I'm just saying it's not that common. On a "very gusty" day:rolleyes:

BTW, decent shooting OP. Good job man.

MacGille

I have never understood why the .270 doesn't have a place among long range bench shooters. Mine (FN Mauser ca.1951) will make ragged holes at much greater ranges than my 30-06 or .308. It's a great hunting round too!:)

jersey joe

So you are saying you had it chucked up in a shooting vise?

No vise but bipod and rear bag. I have been shooting a .223 bolt in preparation and I didn't think, based on that experience, that I would do as well as this group. The trigger on the .270 is much lighter and I believe accounts for most of my accuracy.

JDG

The trigger on the .270 is much lighter and I believe accounts for most of my accuracy.

Sure a light trigger helps, but most rifles will outshoot the shooter, getting groups like that show it was you, not the rifle:)