Range Report - Colt DS II

I recently acquired a used DS II from a fellow FLF member. This gun adds to the DS II - 3" and Magnum Carry - 2" I have. The "new" DS II had the same low quality fit and finish that I had seen on the 3" DS II. The Magnum Carry overall was better, but it's not hard to see how the whole SF frame model line got a bad review. At least the "internals" have lived up to what was expected from Colt. The only problem I have had with the guns to date is a broken trigger return spring on the DS II 3", which I repaired myself.

I have put about 2500/3000 rounds of .38 Special through both the DS II 3" and the Magnum Carry, and the triggers have become a thing of joy - smooth, light, without as much "stacking" as is normal with Colt's (I had a Trooper III at one time, and the triggers feel much like those).

As I did with the other two guns, I spent about 4 hours cutting (removed the hammer spur), filing (the knife edges off the trigger and end of the barrel and elsewhere), and smoothing with Scotch-Brite. The end result is pretty nice revolver. Now all it needs is to have a 1000 rounds put through it to smooth out the trigger! So off to the range.

I shot 200 RD through the new DS II this weekend (two trips, with a cleaning in-between). Most of it was my standard practice ammo - Federal AE 130 gr FMJ .38 Special. The gun is accurate, and I am pleased with it.

While I was at it I tried out two other loads, both .38 + P. The Winchester White Box 125 gr JHP .38 + P, and my normal SD load, Federal Hydra-Shok 129 gr JHP .38 + P.

The Hydra-Shok's perform well as always - low flash, shoots to point of aim. To tell you the truth I can not feel any difference in the recoil between the standard .38's and the .38 + P's, but keep in mind I am shooting 21 ounce, all steel guns.

As for the Winchester rounds - they too shot to point of aim, and I had no problem with the recoil. The only difference I notice was a distinct flame out of the barrel, about 6" worth! I'm going to have to try these out in my 3" DS II and see how they do. I think this round would get the job done very well and they are good value at the price - around $13 for a box of 50 at Wal-Mart.

As a bonus, I took the Magnum Carry to the range yesterday to try out the Winchester White Box 110 gr JHP .357 Magnum PD load that has been talked about here on the Forum. I have try several other .357 rounds in this gun, but never found anything I would be comfortable with for SD (the problem being that the recoil slows follow up shoots too much).

I was very surprised by the Winchester loads - No flame out the barrel, and the recoil was not that much more than a .38 + P. It was very controllable, and I was able to do follow up shots quickly and accurately. I like this round!

I also shot some Federal Hydra-Shock 130 gr .357 Magnum PD ammo for comparison to the Winchester. These rounds are just as I remember them - sharp/hard recoil, and hard/slow to get back on target.

I would recommend that if you are experiencing recoil/control problems with your snub nose .357, that you give the Winchester .357 110 gr JHP a try.

I would be interested in any thoughts on the bullets being used in these two Winchester loads. They look like they are a serrated copper jacket that has had lead "melted" over it. Does anyone have any input on the possible effectiveness of these bullets.

Bob