Range report and some advice please

handlerer2

This thread may overlap forums, but here goes.

I had finally finished my rifle build, I recieved as a valentine a Cooper MDL22, LVM, 6.5x284,1/8,26". I scoped it with a Vortex Viper PST,6x24,FFP,Zero stop.

I have relocated to the MS Coast, and have had to order almost every component that I required. I recieved Redding dies, including trim die. 100 pieces Lapua brass. The only primers I could find locally were Wincester LRP.
I also ordered Sierra Matchking 142gr, and Berger 140gr VLDs.

I had contacted Cooper for load information, and was told the factory target was the Sierra 142s Over 49gr RL22, coal 3.00", to start was recommended. They added that some go out to as far as 3.2".

I was as meticulously as I possibly could be in case prep, ect. I trickled every load, calipered every round, trimmed and measured every case, and every loaded round. I did not crimp at all, this being single shot rifle, and in a previous thread, being advised that it was not necessary.

I had some quite satisfactory groups, under .3" Some groups not as satisfying. I loaded 10 rounds 49gr, 3.00" another 20 at 3.1", and 10 rounds at 50gr and 3.1". I have always crono'd almost everything I shoot.

My first string had an extreme spread of 123FPS, which I'm concerned about. I have been reloading for centerfire since 1976, starting with 30-30 amd 7mag, also 7.7 Jap and 300WM. I now reload for 300WBY, 340WBY, 223,44mag, and now 6.5x284. I normally, with all of the rest, have an ES of around 20fps. Before this I used CCI 250's, but was unable to find CCI or Fed 200 locally, They're both on order at a local gun shop.

My real question, is this extreme spread due to components or tecnique?

This my first experience with varmint type rifle, and I felt rather awkward. I am used to hunting rifles with raised cheek piece. Shooting a rifle with this stock conture just felt rather clumsy to me. Finding a good cheekweld was more struggle than I expected. The range equiptment was not in the best condition, rests front and rear. None of these factors should effect ES.

I'm going to try to attatch some pics, if they aren't too large a file size.

I would appreciate any input from members, about the ES and proper
tecnique with a Varmint type setup. Thanks pals!

Well, I was unable to upload pics due to file size, oh well.

Last edited:

oneshot onekill

So, what I'm hearing is that you are concerned about some projectiles going considerably faster than others... Right? Could it be the difference between a clean bore and a fouled one? Did this ES calm down as you shot more? Did the shots sound or feel different? I can't see how technique could affect FPS.

If your brass was mis-matched there could be a difference in volume, which could cause this. But you stated you were using Lapua brass which is good stuff. Was the brass new? Were the primers from the same batch? You may want to weigh your projectiles. I bought 500 168gr. SMK's online from an individual once that wound up having about a dozen 190gr. SMK's in the box. I'm still not sure what that was about... Except to say that the bag was opened when I got it.

Very strange considering how careful it seems you were when loading the rounds.

FWIW: I never crimp any rifle rounds. Even in semi-autos. But I do full length small base size rounds for semi-autos.

old roper

handlerer2, you might want to read this

http://www.6mmbr.com/SixFive284.html

My 6.5x284 Norma had COAL 3.310" and was throated for the 140/142VLD and build on a long action.

I had great luck with H-4831sc,Fed 210m appr 2950fps low SD/ES and I could run it little hotter has 28" long barrel. I had help with mine from Tim North @ Broughton barrels as I was getting few flyers and he help with fine-tuning my load.

If you have question PM.

603Country

It might be heresy, but there are those that think that ES has very little or nothing at all to do with accuracy. Personally, I don't have an opinion on that, but it is interesting. Are your groups with large velocity variations measurably worse than those with the small variations

handlerer2

Thanks for the replies to my query.

OK, the brass used was virgin Lapua. I believe the most accurate groups were from the second string, with an ES of 54fps, better than string one, but still not what i would call consistant. I can see ES not effecting accuracy, if the deviations were not consecutive, but variations from front to back, so to speak.

I have Fed 215's and CCI 250's, but didn't think them necessary in a smaller capacity case such as 6.5x284, but may give them a try next round, along with H4831sc which I also have, along with RL25 and Varget powders.

I really appreciated the article on Angelfire, it was very informative on shooting techniques, that I wasn't familiar with. Like I said I have no experience with a rifle in this configuration. I would appreciate any input on quality rest bags and such.

I was able to get what was to me some good groups, under .3", and several more that were two bullets through one hole with the third drifting some, which I'm sure was poor technique on my part. I am experienced with magnum hunting rifles, in which I don't think that there is much overlap in this situation.

Now if I use the magnum rifle primers with RL22, and RL25, would they be appropriate with H4831 or Varget?

Also, my scales are getting old, and maybe the weak link in this equation. After this next round, I should have a better idea, if primers are the problem, and will upgrade if necessary.

One reason I chose this rifle and cartridge combination is, I have been advised by a Neurologist, that WBY rifle recoil may not be a good idea for me. I was at one time a quadraplegic, and have residual deficits like a hole in my spinal cord. So I decided that a lighter recoiling rifle was advisable. This after mule deer hunting in Montana, which after getting my deer back to the truck and home, I thought I was going to fold up like a lawn chair. I was only 57 at the time, this prompting my visit to the Neurologist, who was hunter himself and advised caution with the WBY's. My wife bought me this Cooper MDL 22, which is a heavier rifle in lighter recoiling chambering. This is my new toy, because I refuse to completely give up my hobby of almost 50 years, and I reaaly like this rifle, beautiful wood and more accurate than my other rifles, which are not inaccurate, but are hunting rifles, and really recoil.

Any sharing of advise on shooting or reloading tips for this level of precision will most appreciated. Thanks again fellers!