Range Report: 45ACP; 230JHP; Unique

Nick_C_S

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Hi Folks,

Time to report out on another of my load work ups. This time, I was trying to find another use for Unique because its lack of versatility makes it difficult to find good load recipes for it ;). I'm half-joking, half-serious. I know Unique is known for its versatility; and I suppose it is. However in my experience, I don't care for how it runs most the time. That said, I have almost two #'s of the stuff that I need to use up. The only other loading I have for it that pleases me is with 357 Mag; 125 JHP; 9.2 grains.

And that 9.2 grain 357 loading is questionable because ever since I opened this most recent # of Unique, the 9.2 has become an over-pressure loading with flat primers and difficult extractions - but that's for another post, I suppose. My current # of Unique seems to run hot for whatever reason. I digress . . .

Here's the lowdown:

Purpose: High-recoil practice range ammo; and to find a use for Unique.
Gun: Kimber 1911 full size (5" bbl).
Brass: Mixed and old.
Primer: CCI 300.
Bullet: Everglades 230gn JHP.
OAL: 1.220"
Crimp: Taper, medium-firm.
Chronograph: Chrony Master Beta - at 4 yards; diffusers bathed in sunlight.
10-round samples, all. Gun preheated with a mag of 200gn LSWC's. A mag of 200 LSWC's was shot between each string to "recondition" the barrel for consistency. Shot in two sessions; 5/26/17, and 6/14/17. A 6.0 grain loading was shot in both sessions. I "overlap" the charge weights in separate sessions for consistency comparisons; and in this case, you'll see amazing consistency. Firearm was cleaned between sessions.

5/26/17:

5.6 grains; 828 f/s; 23.75 SD
5.8 grains; 846 f/s; 24.66 SD
6.0 grains; 874 f/s; 30.93 SD

I noted that all these flashed out the ejection port. They seemed to run clean (only 30 rounds). The 6.0 loading showed slight primer flattening.

6/14/17:

6.0 grains; 874 f/s; 25.46 SD
6.2 grains; 902 f/s; 16.20 SD
6.4 grains; 932 f/s; 21.69 SD

I noted that all these flashed out the ejection port - I guess it's a Unique thing (HS-6 does it too). The 6.4 grain loading showed consistently slightly flattened primers, and a few with minor cratering. 6.4 is likely an over-pressure loading.

Summary: I like the way these shot. The 6.2 grain level is the obvious choice for further testing. My last and final step is to load up a box of 50 @ 6.2 and see how they shoot. I'm fairly confident I'll be pleased at 6.2 and it will become the "set" loading.

Dufus

Just a suggestion: after you get thru the load testing, try some expansion testing.

My experience is that I tried the 230 gr XTP and I could not drive them fast enough to have any expansion at all....even at 3 feet. I will add that there are a handful of 230s that will expand.

I put the warning in because Alliant only lists RN FMJ for 230 grains with Unique at 6.5 grains max. Your JHP is seated 0.040" shorter, so your 6.4 grain load could, despite being 0.1 grains lower, have higher pressure than Alliant got. I don't know without comparing the bullet lengths. Probably still within +P range, probably not over pressure in a real chamber rather than a test gun, but just as a precaution for small guns…

Nick_C_S

try some expansion testing. My experience is that I tried the 230 gr XTP and I could not drive them fast enough to have any expansion at all....even at 3 feet. I will add that there are a handful of 230s that will expand.

I'm not provisioned for expansion testing as I shoot at a public range - but it sure would be fun :). The RSO's all know me and they're pretty flexible, but I'm thinking they may draw the line at setting up a ballistics gel station :p. For terminal ballistics testing, might I suggest tnoutdoors9 on u-Tube. Good videos.

My purpose for this load work up was to create some fairly hard shooting "high-recoil practice" ammunition. I just happened to be using a hollow point bullet for the work up. Expansion and terminal ballistics were of no concern. I post these load work ups just to convey one fellow loader's experience(s); and of course, to have some fun conversation revolving around the work up and to share experiences.

QuickLOAD puts it just a hair over +P upper limit. Probably not really happening in a commercial chamber and real headspace, but the warning seems justified, just in case.

Dufus,

It sounds to me like Nick is just after a practice loads that resembles a defense load. I looked at Everglade's site and they charge the same for these and for FMJ RN. This shape is more likely to identify feed problems, if there are any. Otherwise, I assume the FMJ would have been equally acceptable to him (same price, unless there were a sale).

I took a look at Hornady's site and they have 600-1650 fps MV range for the performance of the 230 grain XTP. Did you get a chance to chronograph your loads?

Hanshi

I've never loaded jacketed bullets for my .45acp pistols. But I have loaded thousands of rounds of 230 grain lead bullets with 5.0 to .6.0 grains of Unique. I prefer 200 grain lead swc and usually load them with 4.5 grains of Bullseye or 185 grain lead wc with that load or 6.0 grains of Unique. This was the older Unique, if that makes a difference.

Never have I had any primer flattening from these loads. I'd be leery of any load that did that. Check bullet seating depth first.

Nick_C_S

I've never loaded jacketed bullets for my .45acp pistols.

45 ACP behaves very well with lead slugs. I have one 1911 that gets nothing but 200gn LSWC's; and next to no lead is left behind after a day at the range. I only use jacketed with 45 ACP when I'm driving them really hard.

But I have loaded thousands of rounds of 230 grain lead bullets with 5.0 to .6.0 grains of Unique.

Unique runs cool; so yes, it's well suited for lead bullets. Sounds like a good loading.

I prefer 200 grain lead swc

Me too. I have loaded more 200gn LSWC's with 5.0gn of W231 under (840 f/s) than any other load recipe. For me, it is THE pet load. Been loading this round since 1985.

zeke

Unique is a favorite for 230 fmj. 6.2 grains for the magtech 230 fmj, and 6.4 grains for the win 230 grain. Both at 1.260. Very accurate and about 850 fps. The magtechs are
.001 in higher dia.

If using shorter col 230 jhps (xtp/GD), am dropping down to 6.0 grains for same velocity.

For very accurate 230 lrn, am using 5.5 grains unique.