Range Report: 44 Spl. Bulldog

TX_RGR

First of all, this is an older CA Bulldog, not Charco, or Charter 2000. I don't know anything about those other than what I have read. This one is solidly built and tight.

I brought 2 kinds of ammo: 200 gr. cci gold dots and some grizzly 260 gr. wnfps.

first thing i noticed is that trigger pull is really tough. the gold dots would hit in the middle of the bullseye if i was really trying. 10 yards offhand, thats not too bad. More accurate than i expected. I only shot 2 of the grizzly, as they are expensive. Everything was hitting COM shooting semi-rapid fire.

Both were hot loads, but the grizzly was a bit sharper (260 gr. @ 900 fps). Still, I would rate it the same as firing a .357 magnum load. And that being the case, I suppose I would rather have a bullet twice as large for the same price in recoil.

No failures or problems. No kaboom, those of you who warned against such calamities. I was impressed by the handling. I thought this gun would kick worse than a .357. Granted, muzzle flip is prevalent, and second shots would not be lightning fast, but accuracy was more than acceptable at normal defense ranges.

Sorry, no chrono data.

Sulaco2

Carried a blue steel Charter Bulldog for years as an off duty back in the 80's. My hand load was a hard cast 240 gr Keith wadcutter and 6.5 grains of Unique (Don't try this at home boys and girls). Good little gun and spot on at 10 yards. Sorry I let mine get away, had two at one time but other cops wanted them for off duty carry and I had my eye on a Colt Gov. I have only seen a couple of the older BD's at recent gun shows and the asking prices were more then new years ago. I do not like the construction of the newer guns and they keep going out of the biz like clock work, so I'll pass until I find an 80's BD used. :)

The original Charter guns were decent guns for the money.

I remember when the Bulldog came out many pundits were saying that the gun was far too light for a .44. They neglected to look at what REALLY mattered, the operating pressure of the round. It's low enough that the gun can easily handle it.

Ozzieman

I have had two

An early blued that I pick up used and wore out shooting 240 semiwad cutters with 5.8 of herco. Bout 800fps. When the stanless came out many years ago I ordered one befor I ever picked one up.
Over the years it has been my number one carry gun. Has been flawless, and easy to carry.
I would dissagree with the heavey bullets and high pressure. Not that the gun wont handle them, for me it would be the second round time from all that recoil. Sounds like a lot of bullet for that little gun.
I have been carring winchester silver tips as my one and only carry round.
Preform very well into water averaging 3/4 of an inch no matter what cloth material it passes through befor hitting water.

steveno

I shot a bulldog with some of Elmer's memorial loads and it is without a doubt the worst kicking gun I have ever shot

TX_RGR

youre a brave man steve. i dont think i would even attempt the keith load in mine. the 260 gr. @ 900 fps was plenty. and i only shot that twice! in general though, the tamer loads really are quite manageable. the 200 gr. gold dots for example. just for kicks, anybody shoot the buffalo bore through their bulldog?

tulsamal

I carry a .44 Special every day although it is a 296, not a Bulldog. I settled on the CorBon load. 165 grain JHP at 1150 fps ought to do the job.

Gregg

tulsamal

And cook a steak at the same time, I imagine.

I've never shot it at night but I don't notice a flash in daylight like you get from a full .357 Magnum 125 grain load. It definitely recoils in that 18.5 ounce gun. It sort of twists and jumps up. It would be a beast with the little rubber boot grips the 296 came with but I long ago replaced those with full size wood ones.

It works and it fits my personality in a way an auto never would!

Gregg

TX_RGR

I'm with you on all of the above. I would not want to spend all day shooting those hot loads, but I wouldn't carry anything else full time. Btw, there are some results of cor-bon ammo in various calibers on this site. It's a good one.

http://stevespages.com/page1.htm

Btw, I'll take mine medium rare.

TX

TX_RGR

I know I already did a range report for this, and so I didnt want to start another thread, but at the same time, wanted to share this with you all. I was at the range yesterday w/ my brother in law, and we were shooting a little bit of everything. We were on the 100yd. range, and I thought it would be fun just for kicks to whip out the handguns. To give him a feel for them without having to move, and to really challenge ourselves and see if we could actually hit the target from 100yards.

Well, any guesses what happened? My .45 was hitting paper at 100, which surprised and impressed me. But what really impressed me was my brother in law was hitting paper with the .44 Bulldog Pug! He wasn't taking out the x-ring or anything, but hitting a man-sized target offhand at 100 yds. with a 2.5 in. snubbie was pretty impressive to me. Just thought I'd add that. :)

garry owen

I traded for a brand new Charter 2000 44 bulldog about a year ago, I didn't like the Winchester cowboy loads 240 gr.fn I got with it, I guess they use softer lead in thier cowboy stuff, and it would bind up the cylinder after 10-15 rounds. After about 100 rds. of this and a loose screw here and there, an ammo change,and some loc-tite and it worked wonders. Switched to Winchester 200 gr.silvertips, 300 rounds later and nary a problem, 3''-4'' groups at 15 yds usually.Not a lengthy period to some,or great shootin' but I'm comfortable with it. Since then the bulldog rides in my glove compartment every day. It's also hell on nuisance coons, but they get fed the leftover cowboy loads.

T. O'Heir

We had an original 2", CA Bulldog as the store gun in the gun shop I worked in long ago. Barrel looked like a train tunnel. The owner loaded some hot 260's, I think they were, that actually cracked the grips. His kid, about 7 or 8 at the time, had no trouble hitting at 100 from a sitting position. Pachmayr makes a good grip that tames the felt recoil nicely. Do a trigger job and shoot 240 grain bullets.