Range Report: 357 factory defense ammo

Nick_C_S

I took my chronograph out to the range today to test four factory 357 Magnum defense rounds. What made this fun and different is that I used three S&W 686 revolvers - a 3" bbl, a 4" bbl, & and 8-3/8" bbl. These are all 10-round samples. An expensive day :p.

First up - Federal 130 grain Hydra-Shok "Low Recoil":

686 3": 1356 f/s; 530 ft/lbs.
686 4": 1430 f/s; 590 ft/lbs.
686 8": 1538 f/s; 682 ft/lbs.

These have "Low Recoil" on the box. But they are by no means low recoil. These are very potent.

Next up, we have something of a specialty round: Speer's 135 grain Gold Dot Hollow Point - Short Barrel (GDHP SB). Specifically designed for short barrel / carry applications (think 5-shot, J-frame), this round is clearly "de-tuned" compared to most 357 defense rounds.

686 3": 1153 f/s; 398 ft/lbs.
686 4": 1223 f/s; 448 ft/lbs.
686 8": 1215 f/s; 442 ft/lbs.

It's not a surprise that the 8" barrel was outperformed by the 4". With little doubt, the short barrel loading is with a fast propellant that is exhausted before the bullet gets much past the 4" mark. This is exactly what I expected. Even with the 3" gun, this round is tame and easy to handle - also not nearly as loud. This loading obviously doesn't deliver the big numbers as the others, but there's more to choosing a defense loading than sheer kinetic energy. This round clearly outperforms its 38+P counterpart (955 f/s 3"; 1011 f/s 4"), and bridges the gap between 38+P and full-house 357. And its radical hollow point design makes expansion a near-certainty, given proper shot placement. A good choice for many in certain circumstances.

Next up, another Speer product. Their 125 grain GDHP.

686 3": 1346 f/s; 502 ft/lbs.
686 4": 1460 f/s; 591 ft/lbs.
686 8": 1560 f/s; 675 ft/lbs.

Like the Federal Hydra-Shok's, these are potent rounds. Judging by the bullet profile, I would expect the Speer bullet to expand more aggressively than the Federal (doesn't mean better). But that's for tnoutoors9 on u-Tube with his ballistics gel tests :). If you prefer to have a very potent round using a lighter bullet, then either one would be an excellent choice.

Next we have Speer's 158 grain GDHP.

686 3": 1078 f/s; 407 ft/lbs.
686 4": 1153 f/s; 466 ft/lbs.
686 8": 1190 f/s; 497 ft/lbs.

These were surprisingly "de-tuned" by the standards of the 125 grain Gold Dot and the 130 grain Hydra-Shok. I will say that I really liked the way this round handled in the 4" bbl especially. These would be a good choice if you prefer a heavier slug for your defense needs. Even with the lower velocities, I have little doubt that Speer's Gold Dot design has excellent potential to open up and do what it's supposed to do. Maybe the numbers don't look as impressive as the lighter bullets, but I really liked this round.

It's always interesting to see how ammunition performs in your actual gun(s). So this was a fun day at the range for me.

If you're into handloading, I also chronographed a few of my handloads in the same manner and posted it in the handloading section, if you're interested.

Have a great day everyone.

Brian48

Yeah. I bought the 130gr HydraShok thinking the "Low Recoil" offering was something meant for short barrel guns like my 2.5" 686. It's anything but.

Slimjim9

Thanks Nick. I carry the Speer 135gr 38+p load in my LCR357, but maybe I should try the . 357 version to see how bad it is.

Overkill777

Thanks for the data. Really surprised the 8 inch barrel doesn't far outshine the 4 inch. Maybe you have a tighter bore on the 4 inch and a looser bore on the 8 inch? I don't know.

Nick_C_S

I carry the Speer 135gr 38+p load in my LCR357, but maybe I should try the . 357 version to see how bad it is.

Definitely worth a try to see how they handle for you. They are clearly more mild than a typical defense 357 Mag factory offering. I'm not a fan of 5-shot J-frames (or Ruger equivalent, et. al.); but if I carried one, they would be my ammo choice (or the 38+P version).

I carry my 3" 686 when it's cool enough here (about 2 months a year here :p) to add an extra layer for concealment. And when I do carry it, it has the 357 Gold Dot SB 135's in it. Of course the L-frame is a pretty hefty gun - apples n oranges compared to an LCR. With a lighter weight gun, I may go with the +P's.

wnycollector

Nick, thanks for the info. My wife carries a 2.75" Stainless Security Six loaded with the Speer 135gr short barrel 357 load. That round is pleasant to shoot out of that fine old revolver.

Nick_C_S

Really surprised the 8 inch barrel doesn't far outshine the 4 inch.

It did what I expected. Both of the full-power lighter bullet weight rounds got a 100 f/s boost from the 8" barrel - that's pretty significant. Not sure how much more one could realistically expect. Velocity didn't improve as much with the 158's; but that's to be expected. And the Short Barrel 135's are just that: short barrel purposed ammo.

It's important to understand the law of diminishing returns. Especially when factoring in the barrel/cylinder gap bleeding off gasses.

Getting to my revolvers specifically: my 8" bbl 686 has its share of rounds through it; no doubt. I bought it new in 1984 and shot it quite a bit for the two years following - until I got the 4" in 1986. All in all, I'd say with a high degree of certainty that the 4" has more rounds through it. Neither appears to have a large barrel/cylinder gap, forcing cone erosion, etc. They're both pretty tight revolvers.

reppans

Thank you for sharing sir....

I was looking for good round in between .38+p and full house .357 for my 649 J-frame and appreciate both your data and subjective commentary. Just based on your 3" results, it sounds Speer's 135 short barrel is a ~46% bump in KE over +P, yet with still manageable recoil and decibels.

DWFan

Toss these numbers in as well for Barnes 140gr VOR-TX:
1214 fps avg from a 2" barrel Taurus
1361 fps avg from a 4" barrel GP-100
These are numbers taken from videos that tested the round but are confirmed with my Dan Wesson M15-2 with a 2.5" barrel (1228 fps) and 4" barrel (1358 fps). My 8" barrel is on loan so I didn't get to test it. One thing of note; due to the length of the 140gr XPB (it's longer than a 180gr Hornady XTP), this is actually a .38-44 HV clone using Magnum brass.
This same ammo from a 22" H&R barrel clocks 1773 fps (again, taken from a video).

Last edited:

K_Mac

I am also a fan of the 158gr Speer Gold Dot. It is most often what I have in my 4" 'GP 100.

Thanks for the good information.

Nick_C_S

I am also a fan of the 158gr Speer Gold Dot.

In general, I am a fan of heavy bullets. I'd rather this thread not go down the terminal ballistics/expansion/penetration/theoretical defense situations road. But I do sit squarely in the "you must first make a hole" camp.

dieselbeef

thanksfor the tests..being of the..''hit em with the most mass camp''...good read for me..
i like the idea of a baseball bat vs a golf club

Hi Nick,

I carry either Speer 135 gr. 38 sp P+ or Hornady 110gr. 38 sp P+ in my 2.25 inch SP101. As you said, excellent load and pretty easy on my hands.

For my 4.2" GP100, I'll shoot any ammo as long as it's American made and that goes for the same for any of my revolvers.

Thanks for the post;

flyer898

I no longer have a .357 on my permit. When I did it was a S&W Model 19 round butt with a 2.5" bbl. The carry load was WW140 gr. Silvertips and they clocked 1279 fps from that gun.